Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Machinists: If I mailed this to you, could you duplicate/modify it?

I've seen some of the metal parts that have been produced by our members here and it's very clear that we have some seriously skilled machinists among us. I'm interested in a custom part and/or advice since I know very little about what goes into creating one of these.

Below is pictured the heatsink from my dead Skylaser 405. It consists of the main heatsink body, and the retaining ring that holds the laser diode in place. If I mailed this heatsink and retaining ring to you, could you duplicate them? Even better, could you create a modified version?

If I go forward and have one of these made (and I would like to) only three things would need to be different:

1) The threads on the outer diameter would need to go away. The flat part of the outer diameter is exactly the right size for what I want to do and I would just want it to be flat on the entire outer surface.

2) The length, depending on the project. I would probably need it to be a bit shorter, no more than 10 or 11 millimeters.

3) Different size diode "pocket" and retainer, depending on the diode used. It would fit the PLP520-B1 as-is, since that diode has the same dimensions as the 405nm diode shown. But the Oclaro HL63133DG is too long, so I would need a version to make a build with that. A 3.8mm diode (e.g. PL450) would need a different version. etc, etc.

In terms of what I would mail you, I'd mail the heatsink shown in the picture as well as the specific host I would be using for the build in question. It would be best to make the heatsink to fit one specific 301 or 303 host, due to the amount of "slop" in the tolerances in these hosts, and the fact that if the laser ever died I would just replace the diode with an identical unit. The heatsink would remain with its specific host.

Brass would be best since it's heavy and I prefer that, but aluminum would be just fine too.

Is making a modified copy of this heatsink even feasible, and if so, what would be the estimated cost of such a part? I'm OK with it not being cheap - I understand that quality costs. (If I wanted a cheap laser I'd just go buy a laser 301 on ebay instead of having a part made and trying to build a laser with it :))

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have on the matter... please let me know :beer:

SkyLaserheatsink01_zpse21d8873.jpg

Last edited:

RayJay

Just a question, Why would you go for Brass over Aluminium or even Copper??

Just a question, Why would you go for Brass over Aluminium or even Copper??

Brass is cheaper than copper (afaik) and heavier than aluminum. I like my lasers to be heavier. It makes them less "jittery" and easier to hold the beam on a distant target.

I've noticed that fewer people are willing to work with copper. I would guess that this is due to copper's tendency to work-harden and make a PITA of itself.

Lastly I don't need copper for this project. I'm OK with using it (since it is heavy just like brass) but it would be overkill. This isn't going to be a typical overdriven hand cannon. The laser diode will not be run much, if at all, beyond the datasheet max current. The duty cycle will also be short since it will be a momentary (not clicky/constant) on/off build.

I really just want to know if it can be made and if so, what the cost might be.

Last edited:

RayJay

But Brass is a poor thermal conductor compared to aluminium and especially copper. You don't see many/any heat syncs made out of it for that reason? If you are ok with it "not being cheap" then why not just go for the superior materials?
Just a suggestion.
Or if you want better thermal conductivity and even MORE weight just make it out of Silver? :beer:

DTR

You don't see many/any heat syncs made out of it for that reason?

If you look at light show projectors and high lab/laser modules almost all the heatsink/diode mounts use brass. From what I understand it is because brass expands and contracts less with temperature variations and in complex systems where multiple beams must line up perfectly that advantage takes president over better thermal conductivity.

Last edited:

RayJay

If you look at light show projectors and high lab/laser modules almost all the heatsink/diode mounts use brass. From what I understand it is because brass expands and contracts less with temperature variations and in complex systems where multiple beams must line up perfectly that advantage takes president over better thermal conductivity.

Well there you go.. You learn something new every day!

Still looking for an estimate on this part... copper or aluminum is fine... please let me know :)

Still no word about this. I see people have custom parts made all the time for various projects... am I leaving out some information that could be helpful? Should I just start PM'ing people?

RayJay

You have been here for a year and a half? You know who the good machinists are, yeah? Just send them PM's.. That's what I do, And I have only been here 2 months..

Hit up Flaminpyro, I know he can. I could myself on the lathe at work but am very busy there and my shop at home and still havn't gotten my lathe I ordered from Precision Matthews plus it looks as if I'm going to have to replace the head on my car. Anywho... hit Jeff up quick cause he and I are going to PGI in 3 weeks and will be gone for 10 days.

IsaacT

Just PM people :) Flaminpyro or Eudamonium prob best bets. Jayrob seems pretty busy lately, and MrCrouse and Sinner both stay busy with host lines. And I keep Ehgemus up to his earballs(wut?) in custom host requests lol.