Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M140 Survival C6 Build #1

94Z28

This is the first build in a C6 of 3 that will be coming from me in the next few weeks. We have 3 days left of the poll for host of the donation laser, if this host wins the C6 will be completed. I will also be receiving a fan cooled lab style host in the mail from laserlands, and some other awesome hosts from Survival.

20160802_133328.jpg

20160802_133216.jpg

Ordered the C6 Black anodized host with matching black anodized heatsink and driver @ 1.8A from Survival. It's a very sleek looking host and I had no issues out of the parts. It is a little disappointing that we are required to run 2 cells to get the 1.8A max output, although I did find you can run a single 18650 cell to the driver and decrease output to 1/3 of the total. I ran one this way for about 10 minutes it had little t no heat to the heatsink and a nice beam was present.

20160801_213447.jpg

Only issue I had was with the tail-cap acting a little funny; At first I would have to cycle the switch twice (on-off-on-off) to get the laser to light up and it was very aggravating so i tore the switch apart and found a bad solder joint. Once the joint was fixed the laser wanted to light up as soon as i put the cap back on, so I knew it was shorting out. Survival was GREAT and already sent out a new switch assembly as this one just isn't gonna cut it. Much thanks to survival for standing behind their products, once I email them they reply within an hour or so

20160802_133128.jpg

Alright, lastly.. Running 2 16340 Lithium batteries the driver will produce 1.8A output to the M140 M-Type diode that I have installed. I do not have a LPM so i shoot it at a thermocouple to rough guess what I have.

750* Focused through G2 - 78* Ambient Sensor = 672* x 3.3mw = 2,217mw
^This is just for comparing to my "1 watt spec laser" which clocks in at 1150mw in this same method. So, I am getting a decent reading from this although some people think i'm crazy for even mentioning it.

The part you've been scrolling down for... BEAMSHOTS! This thing will take a dark room and make it seem like a blue daylight. I have yet to try the beam through a 3 Element but with a G2 it's very skinny.

20160802_133353.jpg

20160802_133412-e1470161257938.jpg

Last edited:

Pman

Looks good and congrats on your first build. There's no reason to believe the driver isn't outputting 1.8A so I would expect with real confidence that you are getting 2.2-2.4W with the G2. G2 for burning with a 3-element for everything else. In general almost every laser I own has a 3 element unless it doesn't need correction. Most of us start on a power kick and then want their beam and dot to look good so over time we switch to the 3. It's not like it isn't easy to switch right back and you get the added bonus of a cheaper lens. +12-13 rep:)
The problem with boost drives is they are getting harder and harder to find which I find quite frustrating.
By the way, I always hated the lack of space behind the sink with these although I do have a bunch of them because I still like the host.

Last edited:

94Z28

Looks good and congrats on your first build. There's no reason to believe the driver isn't outputting 1.8A so I would expect with real confidence that you are getting 2.2-2.4W with the G2. G2 for burning with a 3-element for everything else. In general almost every laser I own has a 3 element unless it doesn't need correction. Most of us start on a power kick and then want their beam and dot to look good so over time we switch to the 3. It's not like it isn't easy to switch right back and you get the added bonus of a cheaper lens. +12-13 rep:)
The problem with boost drives is they are getting harder and harder to find which I find quite frustrating.
By the way, I always hated the lack of space behind the sink with these although I do have a bunch of them because I still like the host.

Thanks Pman this is the first build I've done and been a member of LPF although only the 4th laser build in total.

I agree about the boost drives they seem nonexistent to me right now so only option is 16340 or 18350.. and the space behind the sink is ridiculous you cannot even run a full length back half in my experience but the host is very clean and compact. Thanks for your comments much appreciated. Lots more m140 builds coming soon!

Hi (94)
I have two CU sinks for these hosts well now i to have to buy a few . A.Barnetts A140's thanks A.B.. will fit the bill nicely for the smaller sinks... Thank you for this post buddy...

Rich:)

94Z28

Cool rich I could use some CU sinks.. but maybe if I sell some the user can upgrade later.

I will be taking better beam shots tonight in the dark.

Last edited: