Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M140 diode @~1W Eating Matches

First LASER related post, I hope I am not breaking any rules with this, If so let me know I'll be glad to fix it.

I got this diode from DTR's shop and after putting it in a generic copper modal and getting a nice G2 Lens, I ran it on my lab bench power supply (those fancy drivers are too pricey for now) at 1W and had some fun. The last LASER I was lighting matches with was my first diode LASER which is the DVD Write diode that I got out of a recycling can at school. It took some focusing to make the matches light easily, but it could also pop dark balloons from about 5 feet. (I need some balloons for the M140 diode) At under half power this new diode is really fun, and addicting, now I want even more.

Here is some video I shot of it.

If the embedded video fails here is the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBZCjkYx7Rw (this is where I hope I am not breaking any rules)

That is all for now.

Last edited:

BobMc

Welcome and be safe. Nice m140 you've got there. Just a warning though, you keep feeding that m140 it just might grow up to be a ndg7875 or a nubm44 so you might want to keep that m140 on a diet. :D

Have fun and enjoy, looking forward to your next post/video/pictures. :)

Thanks, fortunately for me, I need not worry about buying tons of diodes, as I cannot afford many. I am currently out on the search for a Phlatlight, as the LED die on those things is a work of art. (so there goes the diode fund.)

94Z28

Thanks, fortunately for me, I need not worry about buying tons of diodes, as I cannot afford many. I am currently out on the search for a Phlatlight, as the LED die on those things is a work of art. (so there goes the diode fund.)

I've got two Phlatlights if you are interested in one, both are on heatsink with optics attached. They seem orange to me.. hope im not going color blind!

/e Also good job on the M140; if you are looking for a cheap easy way to put into a handheld visit http://survivallaserusa.com and get the No-Diode host bundle.

Last edited:
what sort of phlatlights? I am interested in the PT 120 ones as they are the best I could find out about. I also just ordered an (I think around 8W) orange one from DTR as it was pretty cheap and already had a heatsink. (I never thought I would run out of PC heatsinks, but then I discovered cheap 100W LEDs...)

and now it is dead, my power supply has touchy knobs, and I was a bit unsteady that day, so I accidentally completely removed the power limit, and the diode got 8v and 5 amps across it... I am now after a M462 462nm as it is a nicer blue and nearly the same power. sorry I never got beam pics up.

and now it is dead, my power supply has touchy knobs, and I was a bit unsteady that day, so I accidentally completely removed the power limit, and the diode got 8v and 5 amps across it... I am now after a M462 462nm as it is a nicer blue and nearly the same power. sorry I never got beam pics up.

Bummer.

The M462 is pretty nice but I don't think there is a huge difference from 445nm. It has been a very long time since I've seen 445nm but the difference isn't obvious. When I first powered up my 505nm diode (probably around 510nm) I immediately recognized the color was different from 532nm. Still green but a different green even without direct comparison.

I am a little disappointed that the color isn't as different as I hoped but it's still a very nice blue.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for sharing, and sorry to hear about your M140, Xenon, but for your next youtube video, all you need is the numbers only part of the address then put them between the youtube symbols. "NBZCjkYx7Rw" for this video. :yh:

Last edited:
im sorry for your m140 lose,watch those damn spikes from psu's , i once lost an ndb7875 that way and i know that sucks.

m462 is an awesome diode,the color is obvious different if you run it above 2A current and has more visible beam than all the 445nm diodes :)

I am assuming at a full dive current or 1.8-2A it would be closer to 470nm? because I think ~485 is the best blue around so if I can get it closer that is better.

As for the PSU, I am replacing the potentiometers driving it, it was an amazing PSU for the price, however it does has some made in china aspects such as those cheap scratchy potentiometers.

No the M-140 is going to be around 445nm unless you get a freak or buy the M-462, the 445nm M-140 won't shift like that with current, now the NUBM07 and NDB7675 are known to shift with current, but not the M-140.

Sorry for the ambiguous post, I meant the M462 462nm If I could push it a bit further towards 480 or so that would be great.

I'm not sure, but it's the 07 and 7675 that people were overdriving to get a noticeable shift, I think it's stressing the diode but if you're willing to risk it there are some threads about those diodes ( NUBM07 ) and ( NDB7675 ) , personally I stick to max suggested current in most cases.

Here's a M-462 thread > http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/d...tom-lm350-power-supply-99058.html#post1448837

Here's a 7675 thread > http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/2w-470nm-c6-20mm-overdrive-special-100260.html#post1469978

Try the LPF search tab and see what you can find, others have done this before, I blew out enough NUBM07's for now.

Last edited:
we have seen m462 pushed as high as 2.8A for the best color shift but this isn't recommended at all,personally i would go up to 2-2.2A.

and no it doesnt shift wavelengh that much,at 2.8A it is around 470-473nm exept if you find a freak

EDIT:maybe it was the ndb7675 that we seen pushed up to 2.8A,i can't remember exactly

Last edited: