Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lumia project. In progress. R/G/V

Re: Lumia project. Power supply question

How far from the aperture was the reflector? And then how far from the wall was the reflector?

I like the effect!

Tmack

The reflector was about six inches away and the wall was about 8 feet. Yeah I tried stacking the reflector spinning flipping and that was the best effect. The colors of the reflector didnt change the shade at all though.

Just a quick video I just took. Its nothing exciting but this is what it looks like turning.

Tmack

Labbies are waiting at home. Will take pictures when I get it wired up and lasing :D

If you can upload video I'd be interested to see the lumia transitions :)

Tmack

Never tried. I'll give it a try later. That would be the best way to get people's suggestions, if they could actually see the unit while running

Tmack

8577-imag0341.jpg

Coming along with discs

Pman

Wouldn't those motors be 1RPM? I like that they use a simple AA battery for portability. What I am less sure about is the speed. The motors I mess with are 1/3RPM and the way my lumia discs or bulbs are distorted anything faster would have the effect change too quickly. OF course they are 120V and have to be plugged in which kind of stinks. Could use one of those portable jump start units with a DC to AC converter either seperate or built in.
Wondering about a battery pack for your lab units. What about 3 18650 cells or a few Kongs in series? Just trying to figure out a way to keep it plug free. Then again, I don't know how the lab units will react to a drop in voltage. You could parallel a 100 3 packs of batteries maybe? lol DC to DC regulator?
I guess in general we would pretty much use a lumia setup indoors anyways so the plug thing isn't that big a deal. Still haven't tried my projector outside against the house yet.
Just me rambling... so many posibilities;)

Last edited:

Ok guys. Got my aixiz labbies wired up with switches. Ordered my acrylicdiscs and clock motors. Shouldn't be long now!http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=171156871977

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=271200878859

Add to watch list :) Thanks Tmack!

Wouldn't those motors be 1RPM? I like that they use a simple AA battery for portability. What I am less sure about is the speed. The motors I mess with are 1/3RPM and the way my lumia discs or bulbs are distorted anything faster would have the effect change too quickly. OF course they are 120V and have to be plugged in which kind of stinks. Could use one of those portable jump start units with a DC to AC converter either seperate or built in.
Wondering about a battery pack for your lab units. What about 3 18650 cells or a few Kongs in series? Just trying to figure out a way to keep it plug free. Then again, I don't know how the lab units will react to a drop in voltage. You could parallel a 100 3 packs of batteries maybe? lol DC to DC regulator?
I guess in general we would pretty much use a lumia setup indoors anyways so the plug thing isn't that big a deal. Still haven't tried my projector outside against the house yet.
Just me rambling... so many posibilities;)

If I'm not mistaken (from conversations with Tmack) he was planning to make a gear to slow the rate of spin. Using 1:3 ratio gears he could get the 1/3RPM that you mentioned. But depending on his distortion method (it may be quite different) the faster spin rate may not be an issue :thinking:

100 3 packs of batteries reminds me of something....
:crackup:

Last edited:

Pman

I've seen that video before but I can think of a few other thigs he could have tried that would have been more interesting:eg:

Tmack

Lol yeah that's pretty crazy.

Well a bit of a update. BEWARE OF THE CLOCK MOTOR. the mechanism that drives the second hand is about the width of a pin. Thank god I didn't get expensive ones. S I got three 1/3 rpm motors from hakzaw and some fs mirrors.. Thanks hak!! The mirror stands I got should be perfect. Only a couple bucks and support the mirrors in any position I like. Getting my disc in the mail today so we will se how they look. Will show pictures of my discs when I've got them epoxied up. The effect of the picture above was achieved with epoxy covered cd case. So the acrylic should produce a much cleaner look. I plan to of course use a different pattern for each disc. Ill have to see what the optimum setup would be. If two discs, three, two rotations opposite , or the same directions at different speeds. Or I think the best would be two same way different speed with one opposite spinning veeeeeryy. Slowly reducing the speed with a pulley system .

Tmack

8590-imag0360.jpg

I know they are not knife edged properly, just showing what components are coming gradually by mail. Have a green lab coming soon and I have my motors 1/3 rpm coming from a friend due to the clock motor problem. All in all, coming along slowly, but still moving forward