Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Luke ROTJ Light Saber Hilt - My First Laser Build - also Laser Expander Question

Hello All,
I've been lurking around gaining some knowledge but I have much more to learn and I'm looking for anyone's help that is willing to give it. I built a 1 watt 520 nm DTR laser 25mm copper module with driver and G2 glass lens into one of my favorite hosts I could get my hands on. See below:

• 3D%20Picture%201.jpg
  • 01.jpg
  • 02.jpg
  • 03.jpg
  • 20170518_222452.jpg
  • 04.jpg

My question to anyone that can help, I would like to put a beam expander into the build but I only have about 18.5mm Diameter x 23mm deep to work with. After my search on the threads not going so well (dead links and such), I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable out there sees this thread and can help...and if not, then maybe they will just enjoy the build which is hopefully a bonus. Thanks everyone and especially Jordan from DTR shop.

Attachments

• 3D Picture 1.jpg
    3D Picture 1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 123
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 20170518_222452.jpg
    20170518_222452.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

diachi

Nice build!

I'm not aware of any off the shelf beam expanders that fit those dimensions, you'd likely need to build something custom to manage that.

Hello and welcome to the LPF , the part 3D-printed is PLA or ABS ? parameters of the press used ? the model of the LightSaber did you get that from Thi.... ? anyway, excellent construction !
The expander on the beam if you find the model you can also print and then you put the lenses !

Hello and welcome to the LPF , the part 3D-printed is PLA or ABS ? parameters of the press used ? the model of the LightSaber did you get that from Thi.... ? anyway, excellent construction !
The expander on the beam if you find the model you can also print and then you put the lenses !

3D Printed is ABS. I like it better than PLA right now.

Press used - It is not pressed in as I need to be able to slide it in and out for battery changing. Is that wrong? I don't know because this is my first laser build. I have a little less than .5mm clearance in the chamber and I was thinking of using foil tape to close the gap but so far there is little overheating problems. The laser is activated by a momentary switch to ensure it is not left on by accident. There is also a kill switch inside to make sure it is not turned on by accident.

Lightsaber came from user spiritofob1 on therpf. He did a fantastic build. I needed to mod it so that I can turn it on/off from the computer chip. I believe Korbanth . com is doing a bunch of different saber runs right now if anyone is looking for something similar to mine.

Do you recommend a site to get the expanders from? I can design the enclosure but I just need the lenses. I found THESE ON EBAY that I was interested in grabbing but it does not list 520nm specifically.

Last edited:

diachi

3D Printed is ABS. I like it better than PLA right now.

Press used - It is not pressed in as I need to be able to slide it in and out for battery changing. Is that wrong? I don't know because this is my first laser build. I have a little less than .5mm clearance in the chamber and I was thinking of using foil tape to close the gap but so far there is little overheating problems. The laser is activated by a momentary switch to ensure it is not left on by accident. There is also a kill switch inside to make sure it is not turned on by accident.

Lightsaber came from user spiritofob1 on therpf. He did a fantastic build. I needed to mod it so that I can turn it on/off from the computer chip. I believe Korbanth . com is doing a bunch of different saber runs right now if anyone is looking for something similar to mine.

Do you recommend a site to get the expanders from? I can design the enclosure but I just need the lense.

Is the cap between the heatsink and host too, or just the plastic and host? The heatsink from DTR should provide enough heatsinking for shorter runs on it's own just fine, say 30-45 seconds? Having a gap just means it'll take a little longer to cool down.

As for the beam expander - can you clarify, are you saying it must fit inside a space that's 18.5mm Diameter x 23mm deep or smaller?

Last edited:
Is the cap between the heatsink and host too, or just the plastic and host? The heatsink from DTR should provide enough heatsinking for shorter runs on it's own just fine, say 30-45 seconds? Having a gap just means it'll take a little longer to cool down.

As for the beam expander - can you clarify, are you saying it must fit inside a space that's 18.5mm Diameter x 23mm deep or smaller?

Gap is all over about .5mm and some spots a little less. It fits pretty snug but will no where be efficient enough to disperse heat like a press fit system. That is my trade off.

As for the Beam Expander - Yes, I would configure it to fit inside a space roughly 18.5mm wide by 23mm deep. If I can't make an effective one in that small of an area, then I shall leave it as is.

diachi

Gap is all over about .5mm and some spots a little less. It fits pretty snug but will no where be efficient enough to disperse heat like a press fit system. That is my trade off.

As for the Beam Expander - Yes, I would configure it to fit inside a space roughly 18.5mm wide by 23mm deep. If I can't make an effective one in that small of an area, then I shall leave it as is.

It can be done, I'm just not aware of an off the shelf component that'll fit in that small space. You'd need to DIY a solution, although building a simple beam expander isn't terribly challenging, just need to pick the right combination of lenses. Other option is to add it on to the end, but that'd ruin the aesthetic.

fig-4-be.gif

Last edited:
Very nice build. I can't help with your BE dilemma, but the aesthetics of the build in its entirety is very appealing.

BobMc

Last edited:

diachi

If it has a standard 12mm module, you probably could use Sanwu's BE with their adapter. It's made to fit any standard 12 mm module.https://www.sanwulasers.org/product/x3beamexpander and the adapter, https://d13z1xw8270sfc.cloudfront.net/origin/392124/1486611896168_dsc_0002.jpg. If you use a standard focus adapter this will probably fit. :thinking:

Forgot to mention, one heck of a good looking build. :gj:. Lots of green, pruuuurty :)

Problem is that they want to fit it in a space that's 18.5mm wide by 23mm deep, the Sanwu BE won't fit in such a small space.

Nice build indeed, lightsaber hilt builds seem to be getting pretty popular.

Anyway, welcome to LPF!

BobMc

Problem is that they want to fit it in a space that's 18.5mm wide by 23mm deep, the Sanwu BE won't fit in such a small space.

I was thinking that might be the case. What about getting a custom adapter built that would be longer and stick out farther, which in turn would give you more room? Probably wouldn't be that pricey.

It might stick out to far to be practical. :tinfoil:

For lenses you can go to DTR https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/glass-lenses where you can also find other things ! the expander on the beam if you have the project in STL from the meal to the CARE and do the slicing , then using a infill 100% solid , I'd recommend you to use the PLA is non-toxic and doesn't smell and, above all, you are not forced to ventilate the place where the moulds !