Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lucky my laser didn't explode in my pocket

@BShanahan14rulz
I believe it is the coating of the crystals that get some type of smoke, or get some damage.
It happened with a 20mW DX module. It happened because of the heat IMO.

Perhaps. Poor coating quality or something. It's not like I buy quality stuff. But the coating is what allows it to gain, so if the coating burned off in that spot, I don't think I'd still have such a nice, round dot.

Actually, it was a gift. Dealextreme send me after I said I would not buy on their shop again, because of a broken tripod :angel:
actually, a distortion on the crystals / lenses would give the same effect. heat can do that, anyways.

mfo

What about the IR filter? Could it have come loose upon dropping or have gotten burned? One of my greens 60 mW looks to have a plastic IR filter maybe.

ElektroFreak do they use plastic IR filters on green modules?

Pretty sure all IR filters are made of glass.

I have an IR filter here made of cardboard... hardly any IR gets through it.

HIMNL9

^ My 15cm armored steel plate filter beats your cardboard filter (enough IR can burn through cardboard, you know ? :p :D)

On the serious side, yes, all the decent filters i've seen for block IR are glass filters, both the absorption (anti-heat) types, and the "reflection" (dichroic) types, IR is basically heat, so a plastic filter it's not the better choice, for block them :p

Last edited:
I just gotta say, this is one of the reasons I -do- like FDA interlocks such as on the PGLs and RPLs.

I know there's this kinda undercurrent of "interlocks are for sissies" and "i wanna be bad ass, no safety features UNFFF! FLAMING SKULLS!" but... More than once when I've transported my PGLs, they came out with the click button engaged to on. If not for the keylock, it would have been bad.

Just food for thought.

Was this a laser with a side click or an end click? I ask because i've found the tank007 hc-128 flashlight I carry around in my coat on in the pocket about half a dozen times now.. one of which it was identical to the OP.. way too hot to touch. I have yet to find any of the end click lights or lasers i've carried around turned on by accident. The side click tank007 is the only one I have issues with.