Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LSX Abstract show "Warp"

Nice projector! bet that Kvant cost you a pretty penny!

yeah i just saw that kvant as well..... jk about getting there one day no way in hell......

but swami GOOD NEWS i have graduated to a rack mount case...yep real metal :crackup: still wood base plate though :yabbem:

the kvant was the most expensive part. i bought it about a year and a half ago. long before the cheap high power 637 diodes came out.

on the other hand, i'm beginning to use this laser in some of my art projects. it hasn't paid for itself, but at least i've recouped some of the costs.

yeah i just saw that kvant as well..... jk about getting there one day no way in hell......

but swami GOOD NEWS i have graduated to a rack mount case...yep real metal :crackup: still wood base plate though :yabbem:

awesome! you know my recommendations. let me know if you have any questions. i'm always happy to help.

That is a stunning looking optical deck, but I'm curious as to why all the losses from the mirrors in the blue laser? Seems like an overly complex optical path IMO. All I see are 2 diodes, it's much more simple and offers less loss to simply combine the diodes directly by positioning them at 90deg angle with the beams going through correction and then straight into the cube. Smaller footprint too..

Really it's all about what makes you feel good, but I also thought maybe there is some other reason for the arrangement that I'm missing when I look at it.

Last edited:
each 445 diode is individually prism corrected before they are combined via the pbs cube. the extra mm1's and mirrors are necessary to correct the horizontal and vertical deflection from the beams passing through the prisms.

yes, it's lossy, but those blue diodes have power to burn (pun intended) and the resulting beam has really excellent divergence (~.6mrad on x and y) and is symmetrical.

the goal was not to maximize power but to get the shape and size of the blue beams similar to that of the red and the green. this gives me much better far field image quality and alignment.

here's the spot at 40'.

dual-445-ap-08.jpg

That is a stunning looking optical deck, but I'm curious as to why all the losses from the mirrors in the blue laser? Seems like an overly complex optical path IMO. All I see are 2 diodes, it's much more simple and offers less loss to simply combine the diodes directly by positioning them at 90deg angle with the beams going through correction and then straight into the cube. Smaller footprint too..

Really it's all about what makes you feel good, but I also thought maybe there was some reason for the arrangement that I'm missing when I look at it.

Last edited:
That ain't bad for 40ft.. given that you do graphics I'd imagine that's quite a good arrangement. I'm almost never on the graphics wavelength as graphics shows comprise maybe 1% of the shows I do.. for beams I use the 450nm diodes straight up, with 3-element lenses, no correction. 2W+ of blue per diode with a divergence of .5 x 1.8mrad. For beams they work fabulously, the fast divergence equals my highest powered greens.

Last edited:
right. this system was designed for graphics.

a friend and i built a 10x445 combined with 2 watts of 532 for beams. even without correction on the 445 diodes, it's plenty amazing.

That ain't bad for 40ft.. given that you do graphics I'd imagine that's quite a good arrangement. I'm almost never on the graphics wavelength as graphics shows comprise maybe 1% of the shows I do.. for beams I use the 450nm diodes straight up, with 3-element lenses, no correction. 2W+ of blue per diode with a divergence of .5 x 1.8mrad. For beams they work fabulously, the fast divergence equals my highest powered greens.

Well man, you ought to be proud of yourself, that thing looks peach.

My friend and I ended up making a bunch of oversized bounce mirrors using some surplus Kodak first-surface mirrors, ~7.5"x6.5"x.25" plate glass. I found that long throws like in an arena or large warehouse require a large mirror surface area in order for the spot to fit, plus the extra space gives a little margin for error when the mirrors are close in. A few times I've considered adding correction to give better bounce ability from the added intensity of a small beam diameter, but laziness has won out each time so far lol.. I needed bounce mirrors, so I decided to build some big ones since it seemed like they'd come in handy in some situations.

the kvant was the most expensive part. i bought it about a year and a half ago. long before the cheap high power 637 diodes came out.

on the other hand, i'm beginning to use this laser in some of my art projects. it hasn't paid for itself, but at least i've recouped some of the costs.

awesome! you know my recommendations. let me know if you have any questions. i'm always happy to help.

you recommended discountsteel.com, right?
ebay surplus.

ok i like the case i have but i have a feeling i will eventually need more room:undecided:

i have a few questions ill ask you on irc once i remember it all :p as always thanks for the help

Your green beam seems to be equal in diameter to your red and blues... do you have a beam expander in there? All the green modules I know of produces thin beams which only fit inside the diameter of the others.

I got a 12"x12"x0.5" plate for about $45 shipped on ebay. Does anyone know what the shipping costs from DiscountSteel or other metal places are?