Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPM Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I just had this kinda crazy idea of a LPM lottery. Being new to the hobby it's pretty hard to gather all the gear, gadgets, tools, safety equipment, etc. that is needed all at once and let's face it a LPM is a fairly expensive gadget. Although I feel it would be awesome to have one, it just isn't honestly feasible for me to buy one right now. I am probably not the only who who would love to have one but can't convince themself to go for it.

Sooo....:thinking:

Why not have a LPM lottery?!?!?!?

Every interested person puts a set amount of money in the pot and a LaserBee gets purchased. Then, one lucky individual is randomly selected to get the LPM!

I don't feel like I can spend $250+ on a LPM but, I would definately put in $10-$20 or so for a CHANCE to own one!! And, if I don't win,
atleast I helped someone else get one who otherwise wouldn't have bought it, ya know!

A trusted member who does not have a stake in the drawing could collect the money and run it. Or, the money could go in an escrow or something (or just be sent right to Jerry??).

The winner could be selected by a random name generator or each person assigned a number and use a random number generator (with video of un-biased member running the program). IDK, that's the tricky part but there is probably already a website out there that could be used to select the winner securely.

Anyone else like this idea? (I do!!!)

I purposely posted in the General forum so many people would see this. If the idea takes off the thread could be moved to "Deals & Discounts" and the lottery could be ran over and over until poeple lost interest.

What do ya think?

Edit: Two seconds of googling and I found this website: http://www.random.org/draws/
looks like they would run the drawing and keep record of the winner for possibly $4.95.

Last edited:

For $10-$20 you could just send your lasers to a trusted vet to get LPMed, and cover the return shipping. Would probably be less than $20 actually.

Normally I would even offer, and have done this in the past, but I'm going through some personal problems at the moment.

Sounds great, I'm sure I would be interested. Maybe there could be different prizes? For example if you put in $5 you get entered into the draw for a Soldering Iron , $10 for a LPM and so on.

Sounds about right, LPF HAS been a bit of a carnival lately... :shhh:
:whistle:

For $10-$20 you could just send your lasers to a trusted vet to get LPMed, and cover the return shipping. Would probably be less than $20 actually.

Normally I would even offer, and have done this in the past, but I'm going through some personal problems at the moment.

Yeah, I guess but then again its kinda like when you were 8 and your parents said "you don't need XXXX toy, you can just play with it when you are at so & so's house" :yh:

Sounds great, I'm sure I would be interested. Maybe there could be different prizes? For example if you put in $5 you get entered into the draw for a Soldering Iron , $10 for a LPM and so on.

Good idea, it could rotate "prizes" or have multiple "lotteries" running at once (OEM goggles would be a great choice too!). I think it's important to either only bring in the actual cost of the item & shipping to the winner (& maybe cost from random.org) OR if it were decided ahead of time, could be ran to generate a set amount extra to be donated to LPF.

If more people are interested I'll check into actual costs from random.org, etc.

Last edited:
When I first read the 1st Post I thought one of my guys posted
it...:eek: It looked like a sales pitch...;)

I don't want to rain on your parade... and you know I would love
to sell anyone a LaserBee LPM product...

but...

Am I kinda missing the something...:thinking:
If 25 members each chipped in $10 for a Power Meter and only one
member won... then 24 members would still not have a LPM and be
out $10 to boot...:thinking:

Like IE stated... you could always send your Lasers to be tested
by a Member with an LPM that lives close by for the price of a raffle
ticket.

But if you guys really want to continue I'm not going to get in your
way...:beer:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
I was pretty sure that "raffles" aka lotteries were not allowed anymore? I think this defined in the rules somewhere.

Or you could take your time and be true to the hobby and sacrifice some time effort and yes monies.
The hard part has been done by others in this forum.... the research, the testing, the logging of data.

I appreciate your idea and I've started something simular back in the day (a pay it forward). I'm not trying to sound harsh, but a lpc build with some good ideas for a sink and such is like 35.00 US.

As far as the lpm save money and buy the laserbee you feel good that you accomplished a goal and you'll have a sweet meter as well. You could wait for one to come on sale also. They are well worth the money.

Jander, The idea was for a $240-$575 LPM not a $35 lpc build kit (and I know you weren't implying it but I think raffling off a build kit or laser would be irresponsible and THAT should get a negative reaction) & it wasn't for a "cheap" "quick" "easy" way out but rather seemed like a fairly entertaining way for one person to end up with a rather nice piece of equiptment like a LaserBee or OEM goggles. If it's against the rules I'll delete the post and apologize.

But, it was not an attempt to "short-cut" anything.

Looks like there is a rule against "raffles", I'm sorry - please delete the thread. Seems to me like a raffle that generated no profit wouldn't cause harm though. Just another one of the "good ideas" that make you feel dumb, I guess.
I'll put a dollar in the "I'm an idiot" jar and go back to my seat now.

Looks like there is a rule against "raffles", I'm sorry - please delete the thread. Seems to me like a raffle that generated no profit wouldn't cause harm though. Just another one of the "good ideas" that make you feel dumb, I guess.

No worries your intentions were good and maybe it will catch on... who am I anyhow so says my wiffie.:shhh:

There is no need to Delete this thread...
There were absolutely no bad intentions on your part...

Just have the Thread Closed by a Mod.. I think Things
or Daguin may be on at this time of day.

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.