Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPM In a Cube!! Bluetooth is Working!!

Re: LPM In a Cube!! Update!!........First light!!

Commenting off of what Trevor had mentioned, I keep thinking about what if the display was hinged so it could be flipped out or up?
Just a Pman random thought.

I thought about it before, and I realized that it is a fairly easy mod. Just replace headers with ribbon cable and you are good to go.

Things

Re: LPM In a Cube!!

Err... sorry.

I was asking about the blu-tooth.

Are you using an Application Specific Integrated Circuit?

I can't figure that the ATMEL piece has a transceiver built in - does it?

The chip looks like maybe an atmega 32u4 or similar, having inbuilt USB.

Okay, Finally got time to finalize the design. I will be selling these Ophir Backpacks in small quantity. I need to order the board soon so I can build it during thanksgiving. And I am offering these with several options. You can have just the data logging board or the full set with Bluetooth 4.0 BLE or with Bluetooth 2.1 or without Bluetooth. The BLE will work with smart phones, tablets etc. The BT2.1 will work with computer with Bluetooth capability. Whoever wants one can send me a PM and we will see how everything goes.;)

Thanks
Wade

Awesome innovation..
Ile take one with Bluetooth 4.0 BLE for smartphones :)
Have you tested the Quasar Android App with this yet?

sinner

Pretty good and very innovative. How much would it cost for the one with BT2.1

For the Full pack with everything is $135. The base board is capable of data logging and supply power to Ophir and drive the display, which the price will be $80. The battery board allow the whole system be independent and would be $35. And the Bluetooth would be $20. And the special version of the base board is also available, which only has the data logging part of the circuit for general purpose data logging on other LPM would be $60.

Wow!! Just WOW!!! impressive build! :drool:

Great idea. I love the blazing response time of your LCD screen as well.
:bowdown:

I see a great use for this in a handheld LND712 Geiger counter or maybe even a
scintillation detector.

Great idea, just had me thinking about other sensor types.

Wade,
I have your cube components, yet I'm not impressed with the Bluetooth/Battery PCB, Being that this is your original one which had a super glue component bodge repair job, where the bonding has failed!
Id like this component replaced being that I paid a premium for this flagship model!

See images...

etwk0m.jpg

14l2e5v.jpg

I have enough part to make a new one. I'll send a new board to you with no charge.
And, yes it is the original board since it is a mature design and the only thing legging me behind was the firmware. In the meanwhile, the inductor still works even with a chipping. Just so you know, the inductor wasn't broken, it only has a hairline that's why I put glue on it to prevent it from developing, but apparently it didn't work. It was my fault, I should've build a new one....

Thanks
Wade

I was only requesting I had the inductor removed/replaced, though as your building a new board send me your postal address & Ile pop this board back in the post, As I expect your be able to de-solder and re-use some of the components.
I've decided to make a clear Perspex protective back panel to show off the tiny components, It also allows the status LEDs to be displayed, being that I'm re-locating the OLED.
Ile file a groove in the Perspex for the on/off switch, I could use the Ophir back panel as my hole drilling template.
I've a few different idea's for mounting the OLED on top using angled headers/sockets and silicone wire.
Hopefully it will all go to plan.
Thanks Wade!
Rob.

I got your addy via PM thanks.
I've been having a play with the OLED & X4 Arduino Stackable Header Pins bent & nail clipped to size!
This is what I came up with, though would require orientation adjustment to the display, so maybe not the best idea, but it's a first....
30hvjuf.jpg

2lkwco8.jpg

2yxly80.jpg

15saa08.jpg

mkuedw.jpg

I am thinking about taking off the OLED header on the processing board and let the wire out between two boards. What do you think?
Also I think I will be able to change display orientation in the firmware. I will make it changeable by sending command through serial. Sounds good?

Thanks
Wade

Last edited:
If you took away the OLED header socket from the processing board, what would support board 2, the Bluetooth/battery board properly?
I think how you have it now is awesome, & to ditch the header for cables would be a bad move, but that's just me, I'm not a fan of cables, especially on something that looks as elegant as this masterpiece.
Naturally some will differ to my opinions, but its all good....

I've already gone off my first idea of using Arduino Stackable Header Pins,
It's not robust enough IMO.
I have a good idea of how I want my screen mounted, I just don't know how to use eagle.
Ideally another silk screened purple PCB on top would be utopia..
Ile give you an idea of what I mean with a couple of images I've created so you get the gist of it!

nve0yu.jpg

j8p83c.jpg

Doing it the above way also means you don't have to mess about changing the orientation in the firmware & means the OLED can either be top or rear mounted :)

Hey, I can make a converter board and send it to you with the replacement board. It only cost couple dollar, and besides it will look better. Show me how you want to mount your OLED. Also, I'll try to find some plastic bushing to put between the board so you can get rid of the header and get your oled mounted.

I want to keep the header on my processing board, I like it, it serves a dual purpose so will keep it as it is :)
The only bush spacers required I've already ordered.

npmk3d.jpg

They are Nylon 66 Material, 3.2mm Internal Dia , 5mm Outer Diameter & 3mm tall
They will sit between the BT board and the Perspex protective rear panel

A custom board for the OLED sounds great, I want it flat/flush mounted to keep it looking like a cube.