Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPF Game Server - Source games

How would you play?

• I'd not play at all.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I'd occasionally play.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • I'd regularly play.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • My play time depends on holidays and weekends.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I'd not donate.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I'd casually donate $5 every so often.

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • I'd casually donate $10 or so every so often.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I'd regularly donate $5 (monthly)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I'd regularly donate $10 (monthly)

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Lane

It's funny now everyone plays the older games on PC, because of all the hackers which is why it would be fun to play hack infested games in a private match.
All of the hackers finally migrated to mw2 and bc2 and have stopped getting banned on cod 4 :). Also with the source games do you guys plan on getting a vent server as there will be no way to communicate cross game. (unless steam)
Happy gaming,
Lane

Last edited:

Ventrilo and Teamspeak are a pain because of licensing agreements, especially when Steam, MSN and in-game chat are available, but they are also an option to consider.

Vent requires non-profit, and limit of 8 concurrent users.
Teamspeak requires non-profit unless registered (IDK if free or not) with 1k user limit.

Lane

What do you mean by non-profit? All you do is pay for a server and you can have as many as you pay for.
Lane

I meant if we were hosting the Ventrilo server on our own machine. If we rented an external Vent server then obviously we avoid those issues.

So far, it doesn't look like there's a huge amount of interest - if there are enough people who say that they'd be committed in a few days time, we can open a second thread to discuss games, donation information, whether or not we use Vent/TS, and where the best hosting location is for everyone involved, and eventually we can get the ball rolling on this, so to speak.

EDIT: Post 1400!

DJNY

People should need some time until the Arctic hype is over

Grix

YES! This is an awesome idea! I'd definately play on the servers, even donate a little.

Also, need a server in Team fortress 2! I know a few LPF'ers that plays it, and it's a great game. Much ratherTF2 than L4D f.ex. (L4D doesn't even work for me, can only connect to servers 5% of the time, and if I do get in, I time out within a minute..)

Also: an idea to get more donaters: Every LPF member (or vet?) that donates regularly can have mod powers on the servers.

Last edited:
:thinking: Hmm...regularly donate and I can troll the server. Might be worth it. :na:

Burnsy

I have a ping of 30m/s

I don't play very often and the only games I play online are COD: MW1&2 and CS:S

Asherz

minimum: 32 maximum: 95 average: 56

I'f be interested in this, I play a lot of CS:S, killing floor, team fortress 2 and a few others. Would be sweet to have an LPF server, I could donate $5 every so often.

Around 100ms is a little laggy, but would probably be playable for most if not all casual players. I'm guessing that the majority of players would be in the US, but there are also a fair few EU members who'd play too.

If you get time, can you give me the times for:
webfusion.co.uk
bluesquaredata.com
globalswitch.com
cheapvps.co.uk
fsckvps.com
pingvps.com

I get low pings with all of the above except for cheapvps.co.uk and fsckvps.com. There should be a few US-based datacenters in the list with a bit of luck - but obviously there's a time penalty involved in sending data across the channel, so pings to US from EU are slow and vice-versa. This isn't a conclusive test of performance, the only true way to test would be to give one a try for a month and see if it works or not. Some companies may host their websites outside of the datacenter they host clients on, so pinging may give a bad result for that reason too.

If anyone knows of a decent VPS provider elsewhere that would be suitable, feel free to suggest them. I don't know if 80-120ms is acceptable for casual play or not (I'd hope that it would be).

Based on results of those pings and other people's suggestions, I hope we can find a host with low ping times for most/all members who want to be a part of this.

Lumify

webfusion.co.uk 288ms
bluesquaredata.com 203ms
globalswitch.com 255ms
cheapvps.co.uk 176ms
fsckvps.com 155ms
pingvps.com 209ms
:undecided:

webfusion.co.uk 288ms
bluesquaredata.com 203ms
globalswitch.com 255ms
cheapvps.co.uk 176ms
fsckvps.com 155ms
pingvps.com 209ms
:undecided:

That can happen if you're doing a lot of other stuff on your connection at the same time, or your connection is unreliable/under high contention/a long way away from a decent switch/through poor cables.

What's your ping time to, say, google? If that's high, then it probably is your connection at fault rather than the servers chosen. Perhaps try closing any other programs, download clients etc running if you have any open.

Last edited:

Lumify

Google ping is 133ms and I tried pinging microsoft.com and it times out. I can get to Microsoft Corporation though in a web browser fine though.

edit-I have siblings who enjoy molesting the bandwidth with Youtube videos 24/7...