Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

lpc826

ah the diode was from odicforce the driver was mohgasm I measured it at 315 like it was advertised at .

does it really need two batteries thought the diode would have been supplied well enough . also it worked well at first if a little lower power than I needed ..I cant use two batteries in the host so can I use a boost driver

Last edited:
Yes, you definately need two batteries to run a linear driver. What may have happened is, once the batteries power dropped too low, it was unable to supply the diode. I tried using one batt in a 445 and it made a barely visivle dot. With two, 1.3w beam.

I would try leaving the tail cap off, put a second battery behind the first, then use a wire (or paper clip) to connect the negative of second batt to the host. It should power up fully, unless you did get a bad diode.

If it works with two, but you want to use one batt, you should be able to use a boost driver.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's how i test my builds, just to make sure it fires up so I don't have to tear it all down if it doesn't.

right time to order a new one I need a 17mm round driver for it any recommendations I can get with relative ease in uk.. ill go to 400 ma .
thought terminal voltage should be about 2.5 v on this diode?
noticed someone has used a flexdrive where ever they come from

Last edited:
So if he would use 2 batteries, wouldn't that double the voltage (7.4?) and create more heat on the driver? Or does that require a new driver?

The red diode drop ~2.8V. A linear driver will drop, IIRC, ~1.5 - 2V alone. This is why you need two batteries for any linear driven laser.

As far as heat, at 300 - 400mA, it won't heat up too much. Now, if you run a 445nm at 1.6A or higher on a linear, you would have to sink the driver really good.

@midnight Vf on this diode is around that, but like i said above, the driver itself drops some of the voltage. So with 4.2V, if the driver drops 1.5 - 2v, you barely have anything left for the diode. As the batt drains, you will have less voltage available than is requires by both driver and diode.

I get my drivers from either cajunlasers.com, or mohgasm.com. I'm don't know of anywhere over where you are.

Thanks for the info, in this case for midnighttattoo. So were talking 4-5 total V.drop? What specific drivers do you recommend for input voltages of 2x 16340 7.4V?

The red diode drop ~2.8V. A linear driver will drop, IIRC, ~1.5 - 2V alone. This is why you need two batteries for any linear driven laser.

As far as heat, at 300 - 400mA, it won't heat up too much. Now, if you run a 445nm at 1.6A or higher on a linear, you would have to sink the driver really good.

@midnight Vf on this diode is around that, but like i said above, the driver itself drops some of the voltage. So with 4.2V, if the driver drops 1.5 - 2v, you barely have anything left for the diode. As the batt drains, you will have less voltage available than is requires by both driver and diode.

I get my drivers from either cajunlasers.com, or mohgasm.com. I'm don't know of anywhere over where you are.

Ah see I knew there was a drop after the driver but was working on 3.7v didn't realize it could be as much as 2v! I have a flex drive coming now so I suppose ill go buy another diode and start again many thanks for everyones replies

I ran my first red off this and used the stock barrel 3aaa holder and it ran fine, was good enough to burn stuff and got a nice beam as the one seen in my avatar

I ran my first red off this and used the stock barrel 3aaa holder and it ran fine, was good enough to burn stuff and got a nice beam as the one seen in my avatar

I have one of these drivers just its big and there is no space for it in the little b50.