Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Low-tech orange dye laser

Well using Jay's technique of adding a window to a soda-bottle, I poured a small amount of orange fluorescent dye/powder into the empty space. I put the cap back on with the window, gave it a quick shake and shined a 200mW GGW/UV beam inside. There isn't any liquid, but just air in the bottle. Here is a pic that has had the contrast altered to show what I am seeing. Yellow and then Blue beam when I get the powder. I will update this pic when I get a brighter beam shot.

3888693727_9f97c8073d_m.jpg

Last edited:

Haha... Cool

this is the reason i love the DIY crowd.
you kick ass

COOL! That reminds when i used to shine my br's through a glass with water and highlighter. Colored beam inside, and a regular violet beam exiting.

Krutz

its not exactly a dye laser, sure, but looks cool and could be used to fool someone into it! ;-)
anyone here has an unused aquarium? perhaps some mirrors too? highlighter? :)

manuel

All you need is a bottle of Jack Daniels, it will glow yellow/ orange with no added dye in a BR beam, still I like the effect, very cool! ;) -Glenn

All you need is a bottle of Jack Daniels, it will glow yellow/ orange with no added dye in a BR beam, still I like the effect, very cool! ;) -Glenn

Would that have been before or AFTER you consumed its contents :crackup:
jk

I second the Jack Daniels ! I've got a bottle right here and it glows exactly as scopeguy20 says. Unlike the highliter dye, I can drink this experiment. :evil:

George Dickels 12 year old does the same along with Ancient Age. Maybe it's the alcohol in there.

Mike

Hehe, I guess the emphasis in my wording should have been "orange dye" laser, and not orange "dye laser" Manuel. We know that a dye laser is based on a circulated solvent with dye in it, and pulsed with a lamp. I like the way highlighter, Jack Daniels and other liquids flouresce, but this looks different because the beam is in air. Yellow Irwin strait-line chalk should be cool too.

its not exactly a dye laser, sure, but looks cool and could be used to fool someone into it! ;-)
anyone here has an unused aquarium? perhaps some mirrors too? highlighter? :)

manuel

Krutz

lol! i just saw "dye" next to "laser", and that was all my brain made out of it! seems I "forgot" that dye isnt only found in dye lasers :)
have to experiment with dry powder-dye too. i just today found kitchenoil (orange-reddish, chili-colored) that totally absorbs the 405nm after a few cm, and lights whitish these cm.. fun!

manuel

Now we've gotta figure out how to fill up a room with dye without breathing it to death :)