Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Low(er) Budget Beam Correction

LewDude

LPF Site Supporter
This is my first real experience with cydrical lenses - and it's a bit (err a lot-a-bit) rough. But it works, and I thought some of you might get a kick out of it!

The laser pointer is a HL63283HD, 638nm multi-mode RED diode, in an full-copper DTR 9mm module. The host is a C6 from Survival Lasers, and its using the 'standard' copper heatsink sold by them as well. Driver at first was a flexdrive, but I wanted a bit more, so I went with a Survival Laser adjustable driver, set to around 2.2A. The Lens is a G2.

The cylindrical pair was purchased from Techhood/NewGazer a three months ago. (Still has some listed here - link) I got a "red" set and a "blue" set. Per the listing, they look to be 3x.

While I'm currently waiting on a real slick host from Trinh, I went ahead a bought some pre-mounted lenses for that bad boy. So...what was I to do with these cheaper lenses from Techhood....?

Make a CHEAP beam correction "adapter"!!

Balsa wood:
IMAG4926 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

This is used to move the 2nd lens (PCX):
IMAG4927 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

I had some 5-second fix - where the light actually busted apart, so I just used the LED and the power supply:
IMAG4928 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

The lens pair:
IMAG4929 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

After adjusting a bit, I 'locked' down the slider with some tape, and placed the module into some PCV. The tape you see on the laser-end of the PVC is around the inside of the PVC, to make the host/adapter fit more snugly:
IMAG4996 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG4997 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG5000 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

The results / BEAM SHOTS up into a tree above my house - it was very wet outside; the beam shots match the construction quality ;):

Without the corrective pair:

IMAG5003 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

With:

IMAG5005 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

In the end...it works. I might enjoy this diode a bit more. I'd make things more 'permanent' and cover up the optics chamber to keep dust out.

I hope you didn't laugh too hard!! Thanks for checking it out. It's got me very stoked to get the "community" build host from Trinh!!

Lifetime17

LPF Site Supporter
Hi,
Now thats cool from what you had on hand and basically it works . Good job at backyard correctives ..

Rich:)

Shotgundrums

Nice work!! I’ve seen some of those cylinder sets on Techhood and I plan to eventually get to building a corrected MM red. I have an idea on telescoping the lenses. Shouldn’t be too hard with the proper tools. But is quite involved and more than likely would be costly.
SGD :beer:

+Rep

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

Function over Aesthetics. No worries there. It works and that's the main thing. I just wish you used more duct tape. :whistle: :D

Last edited:
Hi LewDude,

Very cool looking your wooden burner!

My first experience with cylindricals was this - I made a low cost adjustable lens holder from an Al U-profil. Was a little tricky to adjust lenses rotationally but it worked out to make a blaster at the end...
https://laserpointerforums.com/f65/pbsing-2-nubm07e-compact-set-97376.html

But be careful with this diode! In neiboughring thread I burnt one trying to make efficiency chart without proper cooling.

paul1598419

Hmm. The module isn't a 9 mm one. It is 12 mm. Using balsa wood as your optical bench is likely causing all kinds of angular misalignments in these cyl lenses. You should show the beam profile as a close up as opposed to a far field shot. I give you an A for effort, but I'm also with Curtis on this one. More duct tape. :D

LewDude

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for the kudos, friends!

Paul, good catch, 12mm module for a 9mm diode is what I meant.

;)

paul1598419

Here are some photos of a module with an optical bench made by LogSquared and sent to me free of charge. It has M9X0.5M threads on both ends of the optical bench with a copper module, diode holder for a TO-5 case diode. The detail and effort to detail is very nice and I'm extremely grateful to him for making and sending me this device that he machined himself.

Last edited:

LewDude

LPF Site Supporter
I see someone stole my blueprints from the OP....

J/k - that is pretty slick, and very kind of LogSquared!! That'll get some great use :)

Last edited:

paul1598419

Yeah, it is amazing how closely they are in design. The only real difference is the material. :crackup: