Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looks like i'm giving Jetlasers a try

I wanted the green for a very bright beam but also to be under the totally insane power levels such as those presented by a 2W+ 445nm. After reading more I am no longer sure 400mW 532nm counts as not totally insane and I am not sure I should have ordered the 1W+ 445s. Where can I use them? I will have to make some "Class IV Laser in Use" warning sings for doors, black out all windows, and use safety glasses all the time of course. I think I live too close to too many airports (SJC and OAK) to safely use them outside at all.

Note to self: read up on safety before ordering. I guess it is much better to read up before receiving it than read up after I have used it but the 445s were pretty expensive and a bit scarier than planned. :)

:D Blacking out the windows is the last thing you want to do for a Class IV laser, it will just burn threw in a couple seconds. What you need is wood/white plastic or something.

Other then that, rest looks good :)

refrain from using ANY lasers in public areas after dark- and if you can see an aircraft by eye then aircraft can see you by your laser and they are required to report ANY lasers sighted.- they don't have to be aimed at the aircraft- doing that is much worse - but you sure dont want that kind of problem- --

I may need to change my old avatar- i live out in the 'country' and there is a hill for my back stop- but right now- I wont be doing that much- no need to attract attention- if youwant to do that then go work for a lasershow Company or start one- nobody ever told us we couldn't do what ever we wanted when we wanted and where we wanted-- but thats not true- public display is again he rules- save that for indoors until we see what is happening next- Lasers in the news is never good for us- so we dont need more-

For the past 2 or so years, i'd go for night walks with my 1W 445nm Arctic or Spartan, and have been stopped by the cops about 7 or 8 times. Only 1 cop didn't know the law, and told me that he'd look up online and see if my laser was illegal, and that he'd come back and get it if it was. I never saw him again. And once I accidentally flashed an SOS for under 2 seconds, and a cop who must've been watching the beam tracked me down to see if I realized that I had flashed an SOS, but he was chill about it. Other than that, most cops just stop me to make sure I know not to point at vehicles or aircraft.

Good to know, thanks! I would be very scared of the random reflector and the unexpected fellow pedestrian. I notice quite a few reflectors on very randomly placed trees and posts around here when out with a flashlight. Lots of people too, a 2W 445nm worries me a lot. :)

Isn't a class IV illegal to be wandering around with, at least in the US?

@Tha Greenlander
I actually meant putting that white "blackout" cloth over the windows, it feels like a thick rubberized cloth and is a bright white. Do you think that would avoid burning through? I have a big sheet of it from a projector project. I will also have a beam dump and try not to leave the laser pointing at the window of course. ;)

Isn't a class IV illegal to be wandering around with, at least in the US?

The only place(outside) I can think of off the top of my head is either Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach. One of the two. I'm kind of high, so I don't feel like looking right now.

ATM with all that is going on in the news and lots of talk about lasers and terrorists this may be a great time to just leave the lasers off outdoors at night- If I got asked why I was carrying one my answer would be for non-lethal self defense and I use it ONLY in an emergency.

I do think however there is a diff between using and just possession- it may ONLY be illegal to use in public but not carry. I will ask Steve (member and texas police detective)
what he thinks- he owns a laser projector fro LaserKing and Quick Show-

hak