Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to buy good focusing 445nm 2-5W blue laser

I am new to the laser hobby and was wondering what is the best site to get a quality high power blue laser that is between 2W and 5W. I have been looking at the sites laserbtb, dragonlasers, wickedlasers, and jetlasers. I have read much conflicting info regarding some of these sites in whether or not they have good quality and can be trusted. I bought the PL 532nm 300mW from laserbtb and am satisfied, but they only offer up to 2W in 445nm. I am aware of the safety hazards and risks associated with lasers this powerful, I am simply trying to get the best bang for my buck. Thank you.

*EDIT* And how would the visible beam brightness compare from a 300mw 532nm laser to a 2W 445nm, 3W, and 5W.

Last edited:

Sta

Hello and welcome.
First of all, a 3W+ 445 is an order of magnitude more powerful - and an order of magnitude more dangerous - than a 300mW 532. Keep this in mind, and buy appropriate safety goggles (check out Survival Laser.)

If you want the most powerful possible 445, check Sanwulasers.com and their Spiker 445nm 5W. Their quality is extremely good, among the best.

The brightness of a 5W 445, compared to a 300mW 532, should about 3-4 times as great.

:)

Hello and welcome.
First of all, a 3W+ 445 is an order of magnitude more powerful - and an order of magnitude more dangerous - than a 300mW 532. Keep this in mind, and buy appropriate safety goggles (check out Survival Laser.)

If you want the most powerful possible 445, check Sanwulasers.com and their Spiker 445nm 5W. Their quality is extremely good, among the best.

The brightness of a 5W 445, compared to a 300mW 532, should about 3-4 times as great.

:)

I currently have two pairs of goggles that are 190-540nm OD4+, will these suffice or will I need a higher rated pair. And I know that its much more dangerous, was not trying to imply that the 300mw 532nm was comparable. I can look at the beam on the wall with the 300mw for a short time without problems, I know that even looking at the spot on the wall of lasers greater then 500mw can cause permanent damage.

Thanks for the suggestion.

*edit* and is this laser focusable?

Last edited:

Sta

Those goggles are excellent and should suffice for essentially any commercially available blue laser. :)

GSS

TxH, I would look into some private member builds from good standing members.
Many good reasons to think about.
Pic's of the build itself, some in progress,
Custom settings that you might want unless they are already built,
Knowing every component in it,
Direct PM's instead of company emailing, and quick response and repair if anything were to go wrong,
2 day shipping usually,
And the price can be just so much better.

As far as the 532's or wanting extra safety functions or other fancy apps a good company is the way to go "in my opinion".

Something to consider:)

Last edited:
If your OD+4 safety glasses are from ebay then they may not be as good as specked, they are much better than nothing, but with multi watt lasers most of us insist on good quality glasses that we can trust.

Yes they can be expensive, but survival lasers has good safety glasses at a good price. Also you get better visibility as well as better protection with good glasses. ;)

Here's their store's safety glasses page >>>>> Safety Goggles

Last edited:
If your OD+4 safety glasses are from ebay then they may not be as good as specked, they are much better than nothing, but with multi watt lasers most of us insist on good quality glasses that we can trust.

Yes they can be expensive, but survival lasers has good safety glasses at a good price. Also you get better visibility as well as better protection with good glasses. ;)

Here's their store's safety glasses page >>>>> Safety Goggles

I bought them from laserbtb.

I have a Sanwu 5.5 watt for sale in the buy sell trade thread.look for "Tieing the knot, all lasers must go" thread

@TOExHEAD - I just picked up a Thor M II (M 2) from ebay for $50. While it states it ships from China I paid for expedited shipping and it arrived in three days, shipping from ontario, california. While it is without a doubt lower in the quality spectrum (as far as build materials) it functions perfectly fine and puts out an average of 1.38 MW.

Here is a link to a thread I made with a few photos/video of it in action.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/slightly-modded-thor-mii-98987.html

Below is the link to the ebay seller/auction I purchased from. Also it is worth mentioning that while the auction states it only includes the laser but I also received 5 diffuser caps, (probably not what they are called) 2 16340 batteries, and a charger as well as the laser.

Thor M II 2 Adjustable Laser Pointer 445nm 450nm Blue Laser Burn Match Paper | eBay

@Trussmonkey25 - You have a PM regarding that post you referenced.

Last edited:
Last night I ordered a 5w Sanwu Spiker, cant wait to get it. The only other blue I have is a lucklaser "2w" not sure if it's really pushing 2w so this 5w should be interesting. for the 445 5w does anyone know who makes the diode? just curious, and have no intention of opening mine up to find out.

BobMc

A 5 watt Spiker, way to go ! I have a few Sanwu's but that's one I don't have. Sanwu builds a great unit! Enjoy and be safe, 5 watts of blue is awesome! Edit------ according to their spec's they use a ndb7475 diode. Beautiful laser!

Last edited:
Is the Spiker a focusable laser?
I have the spiker in 4w of 465nm. Love it. Some things to deal with. If your not using a 3x BE then it isn't really an issue. The focus assembly has the slightest bit of thread slack. The small scale of the parts that make a laser lase require very accurate machining and alignment beyond what's practical for a $500 laser. What we get is still good. But the way the spiker uses an adapter for the 3x BE adds a good bit of length to the optics making alignment much more critical. Strangely I have found good results with a 2 element lens. I'm also waiting on some Sanwu g2 lens to experiment with.