Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking To Buy An Osram PLT5 488NM 5.6mm Laser Diode

Hi everyone i am looking to buy an osram plt5 488nm 5.6mm laser diode has anyone got 1 to sell me it must be new thanx.

You can buy them off Ebay brand new. Do you want it simply for the wavelength? DTR has a diode at 490nm which is very close.

Ive seen them on ebay but they are $810 dtr diode is nice but its got that square box on the output beam.

Are you hoping to get one cheaper here? If so I find it very unlikely that'll happen. Good luck on your search though.

Ive just seen them on aliexpress for 529usd with dhl post price is still high :(

The osram version didn't get anything close to the attention the sharp diodes did. As in, probably only 4 or 5 people here had the osram diodes. As an owner of one, I can back up its quality is better than the sharp diodes, but only because the phantom square isn't present. The 400% higher price isn't worth it in my opinion though...

If it's worth that in your book, I have two suggestions:

O-Like sells them for $545 http://www.o-like.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=541&zenid=qt09caleui67hgn71dq44ssgk7

I bought mine for $300 second-hand off a forum member here who bought from "Dora"... You can reach her email with dora (at) fyindustry.com... not putting the email link directly in so she doesn't get spammed, but I think you can work out what to fill in. May be worth a try contacting her and see if any are still available.

Thanx z i have got 2 of the sharp 488nm diodes i placed an order for some of the new g-3 lenses from dtr if they get rid if the box from the sharp diodes i wont need to get an osram one.

Hi I think as Paul stated that if you keep the out put low you can use a a acrylic lens to loose the artifact box reflection . I might have some of those I will check
Rich:)

I have only 1 pc 488-490nm , it is brand new but i put into axiz and solder wire! You can inbox to me if you want to buy it! Thanks

I can clean up most all of the overspray with shrouding/masking but the square artifact is centerline and you are pretty much stuck with it, the acrylic lens can minimize it in some cases, however when lasing far field it's a non issue of course........I am ready for a 1/4 watt or more of this wonderful chameleon like 488nm wavelength, as much single mode power as possible would look great in a beam.......also the artifact is obviously a non issue when observing the beam in the air unless you have a very dense fog.

---edit---
Some AR coatings will block more light as that will clean up all but the strongest part of the beam, I have noticed this with 445-450nm diodes and the Aixiz original 3 element ( beam looks very clean ), also the half thread 3 element often seems to pass more power by several percent, I have some 2 element 445 lenses on the way that I had used before and those are often worth a try but in some cases we are stuck with the artifacts, but hey......it's a hobby, experiment and enjoy the beams, try not to get hung up on the small stuff to the point it kills the fun if that's ever the case. :)

Last edited:

LaserRanger

I can clean up most all of the overspray with shrouding/masking but the square artifact is centerline and you are pretty much stuck with it, the acrylic lens can minimize it in some cases, however when lasing far field it's a non issue of course........I am ready for a 1/4 watt or more of this wonderful chameleon like 488nm wavelength, as much single mode power as possible would look great in a beam.......also the artifact is obviously a non issue when observing the beam in the air unless you have a very dense fog.

---edit---
Some AR coatings will block more light as that will clean up all but the strongest part of the beam, I have noticed this with 445-450nm diodes and the Aixiz original 3 element ( beam looks very clean ), also the half thread 3 element often seems to pass more power by several percent, I have some 2 element 445 lenses on the way that I had used before and those are often worth a try but in some cases we are stuck with the artifacts, but hey......it's a hobby, experiment and enjoy the beams, try not to get hung up on the small stuff to the point it kills the fun if that's ever the case. :)

Very well said my friend!
I also noticed a finer but more color sensed beam with the half thread 3 element lense on the 488nm and the 515nm diodes

The two element 520nm AR coated lens from DTR works well to eliminate the rectangular artifact in the Sharp diodes too. I have a half dozen of them and they have worked well with all my Sharp diode builds. The acrylic lens does a pretty good job too, which is what I used before I got my hands on the first glass lens from DTR.