Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for laser newb info

pullbangdead... you really love the government don't you? Its a shame Americans have become so domesticated. So does everyone here base their egos on forbidden laser knowledge or what? Do you guys ever get laid?

the fda trolls this website my man. so you can say what you want. and talking crap on the your government isnt the best way of lying low. anything with the powers you want is illegal, its that simple. Unless you have the money to follow the rules and do it in accordance with the FDA. I hope this answers your questions. and about getting laid I can guarantee my girl is so much hotter than yours. I would even bet money on it in a blind poll.

^ Sounds like you're throwing down the gauntlet for a new off-topic thread!

I'm in.

Ok Ok...Calm down laser geeks. So I just ordered a 200mW laser that burns shit. Is that illegal?

Oh yeah and I already thought about the whole patent bit. My uncle is a patent lawyer and he writes 4 inch thick books in lawyer speak. PWN. And no im not telling you my idea son.

pullbangdead... you really love the government don't you? Its a shame Americans have become so domesticated.

I don't even understand what you're talking about. You make it sound like the government just up and decided to start looking at every little thing you buy on the internet, and only block certain random things. That's simply not the case. Lasers have been regulated in exactly the same way for over 30 years, absolutely nothing has changed, it's not new, the government hasn't decided to micromanage anything. I'm certainly not domesticated, I like to think I have a healthy bit of rebellion in me, but I'm not going to get all huffy over a 30 year old law that, to be quite honest, makes perfect sense. But hey, what do I know?

So does everyone here base their egos on forbidden laser knowledge or what?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not really here for ego, in general. I'm here because a lot of gracious people have helped me and taught me a lot of things about lasers, and I enjoy teaching those things to other people who want to learn. This place is a great tool and a great resource, and I guess the community here has just evolved over time to be a place for those who want to invest time and learn new things. It has definitely evolved away from a place for "OMGZORS, I'm leet so I neezor a leet burning lazor, can I potmod this lazor like the youtube video and start cutting things into pieces like a lightsaber?"

Do you guys ever get laid?

I'm married...so no, I don't. ;)

But you know what, I give. You can almost certainly build a laser capable of doing everything you ask, I recommend red or violet, but beyond that, you'll have to look for yourself to find what kind of host will fit your super-duper-secret-doohicky. One member has built a laser cigarette light, in a Zippo I think, so you can look up his build to see how much power he used and such.

As far as legality, you can build for yourself and use for yourself all you want to your heart's content and completely legally in the US, but when you start selling devices that emit ANY amount of non-ionizing radiation (that includes laser light), the FDA is going to come knocking (just ask Mohrenborg). Even CD/DVD/Blu-Ray players, which use laser light but don't actually allow any to escape the device, are still registered as laser devices and must be FDA approved before they can be sold. It HAS to be FDA approved to sell it legally, so start reading the FDA website(s) about lasers, that's all there is to it.

You say you're starting your business around this doohicky? You'd better start some more reading and stop trusting random forums for information. You're really going to rely on the word of anonymous internet posters regarding the legality of the products you're selling? Seriously, when things like "jail" and "$250,000 fine" get mentioned regarding illegally-sold laser products, I would be a little more careful than asking a forum, any forum, "hey, is this legal?" But maybe that's just me.

Ok Ok...Calm down laser geeks. So I just ordered a 200mW laser that burns shit. Is that illegal?

Where did you order it from?

If it isn't FDA-approved to be imported into or sold within the United States, then it is illegal to import it into the United States (and most every website that illegally sells lasers is in another country, so by buying it and having it shipped to you, you are importing it).

Consequences? Everyone I've ever heard of that got their package caught by customs simply had the laser confiscated. Does that mean yours will get caught? No, yours might get through. Does that mean if yours does get caught, the most that could ever happen is getting it confiscated? No, you might get arrested or fined thousands of dollars, or both. Smuggling is a felony. But again, the most I've ever heard of with any buyer having their package caught in customs is the laser getting confiscated, but that is by no means a guarantee.

But it is NOT illegal to possess a 200mW laser in the US, at least not under federal law (although state and local laws may differ, you're on your own with that one). It IS illegal to import or sell them, but not to own or possess.

Wow great reply. Thanks for the info. As far as the legality issue goes, i was simply trying to get pointed in the right direction. Is it a huge hassle to get a laser product approved by the fda? By the way im not building a laser cigarette lighter...Its at least 10 times cooler than that.

I dont even know why you guys waste your time talking to this kid...

LOL. To be completely honest, I'm procrastinating finishing off this stupid lab report.

But I think I finally have it finished now.

It's an ok lab, I just hate writing lab reports. This lab was actually fabricating a 450nm LED. Ours lit just fine, really crappy efficiency though, they never give good material to the the class projects since they (naturally) want the good material for the actual research projects.

And today we started processing our 450nm laser diodes for the second lab in this class. Or were they 430nm? I really don't remember what they were now, they were something. But we'll hopefully have some laser diodes here in about 2 weeks. For the class project in this class, no one has ever actually gotten a diode to lase; but this year, they're actually giving us decent material and letting us use non-polar material in the class, so we should be able to at least 1 or 2 lasing diodes out of our sample.

Wow, not sure why I wrote all this in this thread, it's late, I need to go to bed. I'll make a thread in a week or two, maybe even a photo or tutorial on how a laser diode is made. Carry on.

Laserbee...Hahaha. Your such a bad ass. With all the effort you spent trying to belittle me on a laser pointer forum, you could have just answered my question like a kind person instead of being a little cunt.
Hey cujojunior.....

First I was no belittling you or insulting for that matter.... If you don't have the
reading skills to see that from my posts... then your wasting your time reading
Laser Related information here on the forum...
It is highly likely that you will misunderstand that written information as well.

In the few posts that you've posted so far you have shown to be an arrogant
little lazy brat... that has no respect for anyone....

That's not what this Forum is about.........:scowl:

No-one here owes you anything and we are not required to give you anything...
we don't know who you are...
Sorry if that's not what you want to hear... but those are the facts...:cryyy:

BTW... nice start to building your reputation here on LPF...:rolleyes:

Jerry

Last edited:
Hey jerry you should flex some of your rep power. Jk. but i agree, this kid is a douche.

It won't mean anything... (yet) "nothing from nothing is still nothing"...
I'd rather give than take.... unless it's absolutely neccessary...:crackup:

Jerry

Word of advice

Damn, another noob, who wants the short way to forum fame...

Look, kid, I'm pointing this one right at you:

I started the same way you did, from scratch, and just two hours ago, I assembled a laser that can score blue duct tape pretty easily, and still has power to spare. All after starting with minimal knowledge of electronics, no knowledge of lasers, and next to no tools to boot (seriously, a 30 years old soldering iron with a blunt tip, and an analog multimeter? :D).

I got here by researching, reading, and ASKING DIRECTED QUESTIONS. Not just "tell me what works", but "hey guys, will <this and that, insert generic description of build> work?" Why not do the same? Ask a question that can be answered in an intelligent fashion, and don't attempt to skip the reading, because that won't do you any good.

Cheers,
The ThunderBird