Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for better lenses...

Hi,

I have just received my 650nm 200mw laser pointer from odicforce.com

Service was great, received it in a few days with powerchecked certificate at 230mw.

However, while it seems to work good (extremly bright, able to see beam spot very far away when tested outside) it seems it cannot light matches, burn black plastic etc...

My laser pointer, with reference OFL116 on odicforce.com use the exact same host as this laser pointer from lazerer.com : LZCB - CYBER 650nm 200mW Red Laser Pointer

I think the problem come from lens focusing...

I would like to be able to replace lens with a high quality one, is it possible ?

Does anybody know which one could fit in such host ?

Many thanks,
Regards.

And, you didn't think it was a 200mW problem? I've got 350mW steady out of mine, and it's barely a burner with the high output lens.

Use the search bar at the top. There are many guides to what wavelengths at what powers burn what.

According to my laser knowledge and previous search on this forum you can light matches with only 100mw for 650nm wavelength (beiing properly focused of course)

If yours does not burn with 350mw output then I'm quiet sure yours is not focused properly or you have placed your match to far from the beam focused point.

Does someone can confirm?

Oh, it will light a match from a good distance. I said it was not a good burner. As a professional photographer, I have some experience with focusing lenses.

Have you measured the output of your laser to confirm that it is indeed 200mW? It's likely overspec to begin with.

No, I don't have necessary tools to verify the output power. However I have a power certificate and it says 230mw.

I just was doing it wrong... I was focusing the beam spot on the wall to be as small as possible instead of trying to obtain a beam focusing spot at a few inches of the laser head.

Now it light matches instantaneously! Impressive.

Of course i use my glasses ( eagle pair ).

I just was doing it wrong... I was focusing the beam spot on the wall to be as small as possible instead of trying to obtain a beam focusing spot at a few inches of the laser head.

Well done. It's amazing how the simplest problems can trip us up sometimes.

Nice to hear you have goodeye wear!

Enjoy your new toy!

Can you please verify this specs and confirm these protective glasses are well suited for 230mw at 650nm?

On one glass I can see :

190-380&600-760nm OD4+ CE

On a paper I can see:

Fourth harmonic generation, 266nm OD5
He-Ne laser emitter, 632.8nm OD4
Ruby laser emitter, 694nm OD4
Alexandrite last emitter, 755nm, OD4

600-760nm at OD4+ What the paper lists are laser types that fall within the range.

You're good to go with those glasses for 650nm at 230mW

You should be able to pop balloons at +20' too. Blue or black will be easiest. My 150 mw rayfoss red can, and you have lots more power. It just takes precise focus and a steady hand.