Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for an adjustable laser that can heat up toenails

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan31

I've had success with using a flashlight with a 10W CREE LED to heat up nail fungus and I removed it from two of my toe nails. There's one toe that is stubborn and I want to try a laser on it for precision heating.

I'm looking for a high power laser where I can adjust the power and it should use an 18650. Any suggestions on what to buy?

Hi,
That is dangerous to be testing lasers on your body parts, May I suggest a more safer way . My buddy had that on his one nail and he used Kerasal its an over the counter nail fungus remedy. He applied it every night and he said it worked great. And you will saver your self money not needed to buy a laser.

Rich:)

Encap

Agree with Lifetime17 100%---not a good idea to play DIY pretend MD with high powered lasers. Best choice , go see a qualified MD or Podiatrist and discuss the issues you have.

Google "laser nail fungus" over 3 million listing come up.
There are dozens of sellers of 905nm laser devices sold on eBay and Amazon from $74 to several hundred $s for home use and several thousand for professional use for the purpose. Examples see: https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=No Pain Home Use Nail Fungus Laser Therapy Onychomycosis Cure gray nail LLLT New&_id=153036170220&rt=nc

Last edited:
dont know which is worse/// your odd question or your failure in making a nice intro thread about your self with your (general) location in the intro title-- do you not consider yrself to be a 'newcomer'??

well.... give is a bit of common respect and 'intro' yourself-- w/o your location we often cannot help as much as we would like.
Very important that your intro title has your location..

it (yr location) also needs to be in your personal profile.
Mine was "hello -- new member from Houston''--right away I got nice greetz --some from others in Texas and to date I have met many in person..
Members with LPMs can make you power graphs for all your laser collection any time anywhere and of course free. AND doing B S and T in person is great..no surprizes..

about your idea? -- ahhh no/ not good.

len

alan31

Sorry I didnt give an intro. I hate how google indexes personal info.

Topical creams dont work for nail fungus. I've tried various things. The only option is taking Lamisil which is bad for the liver. It can work for healthy people but I dont want to do that to my body for fungus thats only on the little toe. I had success using my flash light. The worst thing that could happen is burning the flesh but that heals up on its own. And its a very small area. I just need to heat it up to say, 140F:
Research suggests that fungi are sensitive to heat, typically 40–60 °C (104–140 °F)

And when I use my flashlight there to heat it up, it does clear up but it comes back. The reason it worked for my other toes is that the fungus had just started to spread from the top and I was able to heat that area. I didnt allow it to spread under the skin (called the Proximal fold). That hasnt come back.

With my little toe, the fungus has been going on for say, 10 years and its embedded deep along the edges. When I try to heat it up it burns the surrounding flesh also. I want precision heating so I can heat the nail bed and the edges.

I just want a recommendation. I want an adjustable high-power laser. Say you had a small piece of rubber and you wanted to heat it up to 140F in a small area. Thats all I want to do.

@Encap, that stuff on Ebay probably doesnt work. Not sure what its doing. There's lots of fake products and fake reviews, I cant trust any of them without knowing for sure it will work. The Flashlight worked for me, so I know that works.

I know 5mW is the small pocket laser that doesnt heat up anything. Will 200mW be enough? %W, 10W? Suggestions?
I need it to be adjustable in power and an adjustable focus would be nice too.

Last edited:
There have been topical antifungal medicines made solely for treating onychomycosis that have come out in the past few years. The best way to treat it is to have the nail evulsed and then treat the nail bed. This provides the best results.

I bet the best choice is the 300 series 405(~$6usd)--will burn and has tiny dot--ez to limit the area you want to treat...405nm LOOKS harmless which imo makes it the most dangerous -fast burner and hard to see. Without a doubt the worst laser to let kids 'play with'.
. Never assume that a kid or adult will NOT shine a weak looking laser directly into the eyes.. its human nature to do that as we ALL treat flashlights this way..
we try--it wont work--we bang the flashlight on our palm--shine at face and keep trying again.
I take a laser everywhere I go and am always getting asked to 'see' it- I gladly hand it over BUT its disarmed-key OFF and removed.. I watch what they do and pretty much all shine into face when trying to make it lase.

lasers are more like guns than like flashlights--BUT a bullet will not reflect off a mirror or shiny surface like a laser.

hk

alan31

@hakzaw1:
I live by myself so there wont be any kids around. Thanks for the warnings.
Thank you for that recommendation. Where can I find this? "300 series 405(~$6usd)"
I can spend a little more than that. My budget is around $50 and I'm looking for a laser which has adjustable power levels and uses an 18650 if possible so it has a fair amount of power.
If I go to the 'laserpointerpro' website, there's different categories for mW, application (high power, burning, astronomy etc), wavelength and so on. I tried looking at the 405nm category, not sure what to get.
Any recommended models, websites?

The best way to treat it is to have the nail evulsed and then treat the nail bed. This provides the best results.
You are right about that. That seems to be the only way to defeat this. That shows how difficult this problem is.

@Lifetime17: I forgot to reply to you. You mentioned Kerasal. I'll check the nail fungus categories on Amazon again. I doubt there's a fix. I've searched before but yea I'll check again. Its so hard to find a good product with tones of fake reviews.

@T_Warne : You'd pay to watch someone try to shine a laser on their toes to try and heal nail fungus? Yea sure if I'm successful I'll make an announcement here. Heat does work. The only problem is reaching 100% of the fungus. I'll give it a try.

Gosh, couldn’t imagine the smell of burnt toenail and fungus🤮. Pretty damn funny to imagine zapping fungus with a HH laser 🤣
But don’t do it.

I don’t always treat toenail fungus.
But when I do it’s with a BDR-209
🤣🤣🤣
SGD🍻

Sumfinclever

There was a medication my doctor gave me a while back for that you paint onto the surface of the toe itself each evening. It worked fairly well when I remembered to apply it frequently. I can't recall the name off hand, but I believe there's a bottle still in my cabinet at home. I will do my best to try and get the name when I get home tonight. If nothing else, it's one more avenue to explore with your physician during the next visit.

That said, I've got to agree with those above. I would urge you to explorer other options before resorting to photonic self mutilation. Then again, like Paul said, whatever toasts your toes... or was it whatever floats your boat? Meh, potato potahto. Hope you find some relief though, regardless what you end up doing. I know how much it sucks to see that stuff every time you look at your toes.

Also, Shotgundrums, something tells me that smell would just linger... and linger... and linger... lol. 🤢🤮.

@T_Warne : You'd pay to watch someone try to shine a laser on their toes to try and heal nail fungus? Yea sure if I'm successful I'll make an announcement here. Heat does work. The only problem is reaching 100% of the fungus. I'll give it a try.
[/QUOTE]

YES!!! but I am a bit of a sadist and totally get a kick out of watching people injure themselves doing silly things.

Trust me... you'll have no problem reaching your toe truffles... and beyond. What's to stop the laser from continuing PAST the fungus?

Please, please, please record a video of your first few attempts. Extra points if we can see the reaction on your face.

+1 for using the BDR-209. 😈 Its ultra violet-ish. Does UV kill mushrooms? Who knows... but maybe you can be the "Lazor Savior of onychomycosis" and show the world how to cure nail fungus with photons.

Encap

Who knows... but maybe you can be the "Lazor Savior of onychomycosis" and show the world how to cure nail fungus with photons.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly LOL

alan31--what you want doesn't exist and what you want to do is reckless, irresponsible, medically unsound and so is anyone that will go along with and/or advise you otherwise.
As mentioned before--not a good idea to play DIY pretend mad scientist and MD as if you have any idea of what you are doing with high powered lasers.
Best choice , go see a qualified MD or Podiatrist and discuss the issues you have.

You already have all the help and advice you are going to get from LPF.

See for additional information: https://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/SurgicalandTherapeutic/ucm115910.htm

Last edited:

Sumfinclever

Ok so I mentioned earlier I'd find out that medication was. See attached for brand and active ingredient. That said, I'm not a physician or in any way giving medical advice (aside from NOT irradiating your toe), but rather telling you whatb worked for me. Best of luck

Attachments

• 20190214_180551.jpg
    20190214_180551.jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190214_180559.jpg
    20190214_180559.jpg
    870.6 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.