Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a laser powerful enough to light a cig and pop a balloon.

Moose

It helps that my favorite cigs are dark colored XD
Anyway, I know little about what lasers I should be looking at. I'm hoping to spend $200 or less, but may be willing to spend more.
Right now with what little I've looked into everything, I'm eying this:
Optotronics Product Details
Seems to be a trusted site, and powerful enough laser, but like I said: "with what little I've looked into everything". So, if there's something better for my price range and my purpose of messing around (Note: I know well enough not to point at anyone or any vehicle, to be careful with it, and to wear safety goggles; I don't want to set anyone off by saying "messing around" so disclaimer ( '-') ), please do link away. And if I'm wrong and not going to be able to find a laser powerful enough for this at that price, please do tell me.

sinner

It's great that you are already aware of the safety protocols.. But lighting a cigarette is NOT safe in any circumstances and it is very immature of you. Safety being the major issue when your pointing the device close range infront of your eyes!!

But on the other hand it is do-able with any >300mW laser just check the Buy/Sell/Trade section and send a PM to the OP.. I would suggest having a 300~500mW 405nm Or 445nm laser..

You should get a 445nm laser if you want to burn. You can get them for under $200 and they're really powerful. You really shouldn't have it anywhere near your face however...

DTR

Have you considered using a lighter for lighting cigarettes. I hear they work good. I can't think of many more dangerous things you can do with a laser than sticking it that close to your face even with proper safety glasses.:banghead:

Moose

Hmm... this is a prime example of why I shouldn't make any decisions while sleep deprived, even if they seem somewhat rational at the time.

Looks alright to me but it's a stupid idea to be lighting cigarettes with them.

I think he meant lighting the cigarette while its away from his face, and then putting it back in his mouth. Sheesh people...

wheedy

I've lit stuff with my 1W blue before... Of course, I was wearing my safety glasses, and the beam was pointed straight up and down, not into my face. It's a nice little cool thing you can do, but lighters are much better.