Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a laser for meditation

jth42

Hello everyone!

I find bright dots (such as stars) make particularly easy meditation objects.

So I'm looking for a laser pointer that, using it indoors to put a reflection dot at a wall or the ceiling, will
  • stay on on its own for at least 60m (ie. no "safety timer" that turns it off),
  • the reflection dot of which is harmless to look at for 60m without goggles and
  • the laser shouldn't burn my wallpaper.
It doesn't even have to be portable, but obviously I'd prefer not to spend hundreds of bucks.

I've looked at the Sunwu 304 lasers, but even though they are fairly low-energy, I've read somewhere that you still need goggles.

Any tips would be appreciated,

Jens

It would be helpful to know which country you live in. In the US any laser pointer you buy in a store will be eye safe. I have a few that cost as little as $2.00 that would work fine for this. Since they are such low power, they don't drain the batteries quickly. The 301 or 303 style 532nm DPSS lasers on eBay are the same as the Sanwu 304s and are less money, but I can't say that any would run continuously for an hour. You would likely need a lab style 532nm to run a full hour.

jth42

@diachi That's quite true, actually. And further ideas what's the simplest approach here would be? I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require to craft anything.

@paul1598419 I live in Germany. I bought a laser pointer that cheap already, but is requires you to hold a button. But maybe I should search for other models.

And thanks everyone for the helpful input!

@diachi That's quite true, actually. And further ideas what's the simplest approach here would be? I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require to craft anything.

@paul1598419 I live in Germany. I bought a laser pointer that cheap already, but is requires you to hold a button. But maybe I should search for other models.

And thanks everyone for the helpful input!
If your only problem is the tactile switch, try a clothespin. That will easily hold the switch on until you want to turn it off.

jth42

yoonie

Just my opinion, but I would think just using a LED (from the color you like and have it very dim, either suspended in an empty room with no small reflection or pinned on a dark and light absorbant curtain) would be more efficient than a laser dot.

To explain my assumption, I take that you like tiny bright spot in contrast with a dark background ; now I'd say turning a low powered laser on a bright wall would make it quite visible but you would not get the same effect as emitting from a certain darkness.

I guess the distance from where you would be looking at the dot, and the ambient luminosity is to take in account here too.

It would be helpful to know which country you live in. In the US any laser pointer you buy in a store will be eye safe. I have a few that cost as little as $2.00 that would work fine for this. Since they are such low power, they don't drain the batteries quickly. The 301 or 303 style 532nm DPSS lasers on eBay are the same as the Sanwu 304s and are less money, but I can't say that any would run continuously for an hour. You would likely need a lab style 532nm to run a full hour. And almost any red pointer will not have a duty/rest cycle.. And can befound very cheap--try forum memberAlan (KingKube here) at ebay 'blab1391' -- you can buy a 'trio' R-G and V both pen style and 300 style super cheap..that way you get to choose from them for your uses.
[/QUOTE)

YES YES-- location is more important than most new members realize.

It needs to be in the title of your first thread which should be an introduction placed in the correct section (NEWCOMERS) as well as in your personal profile... A person 'new to the neighborhood ' needs to do this to show respect.. I would never ask for anything w/o first introducing myself. WE could be living close and never know it!!

Your best option would be a cheap low power green 'porta-labby'-- run on batts ... some come w/ fan-- most can be run a long time w/o problems. Unless you are looking at the dot for a ft inches away -- looking at the dot is harmless-- to test that look at the dot from ~6 feet..then look away--you will see 'after images' fopr a bit-- then they fade-- if the DO NOT fade much your laser is took powerful.

As Paul said a 300 series pointer is good and they use our fav batt the 18650 ( found 'free' in used discarded laptop batt packs (use extreme care opening these-- it is easy to short some out.. once removed and after removing the metal bands that connect them-- charge then discharge three times-- they should disposed of properly if they do not make ~4 vdc when charged) You will need to make a way to hold the on/of button ON constant)