Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a green laser compareable to the Greatland Rescue Laser

As Hallucynogenyc says get a 200mW focusable and de-focus it so the dot is huge at distance. Again do as I suggested and grab a v1 Dilda, it's cheap and will do the job.

For experimenting purposes also do as I suggested and grab line generator as the light from it will be more concentrated than a huge dot, but not as to do any damage to anyone at distance.

Jerry

As Hallucynogenyc says get a 200mW focusable and de-focus it so the dot is huge at distance. Again do as I suggested and grab a v1 Dilda, it's cheap and will do the job.

For experimenting purposes also do as I suggested and grab line generator as the light from it will be more concentrated than a huge dot, but not as to do any damage to anyone at distance.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the input. Can you point me to the three items you are referring to?

Thanks,

Craig

Please take a little extra time to read through all the replies. An unfocused beam significantly reduces the harmfull effects of a laser beam. Also the Greatland one is 532nm significantly brighter to the human eye than 650nm. As already has been pointed out, green lasers dont do well at low temps, so unless you are doing SAR in the tropics forget green:D

If you want to use it as a signal for others to come to you, do you intend to shine it at your rescuers eyes permanently? or just flash it back and forth? My guess would be the latter. While we are at it, if you intend to use it in a SAR situation, what are the chances that your rescuers are going to be less than 20 yards away from you where an unfocused beam will harm them?

Some research on your part might also be helpfull - Google for a lower wattage pointer that also takes an Aixiz lense perhaps? or just shell out 30 bucks to experiment, your choice, I am done with this thread.

Jerry

Please take a little extra time to read through all the replies. An unfocused beam significantly reduces the harmfull effects of a laser beam. Also the Greatland one is 532nm significantly brighter to the human eye than 650nm. As already has been pointed out, green lasers dont do well at low temps, so unless you are doing SAR in the tropics forget green:D

If you want to use it as a signal for others to come to you, do you intend to shine it at your rescuers eyes permanently? or just flash it back and forth? My guess would be the latter. While we are at it, if you intend to use it in a SAR situation, what are the chances that your rescuers are going to be less than 20 yards away from you where an unfocused beam will harm them?

Some research on your part might also be helpfull - Google for a lower wattage pointer that also takes an Aixiz lense perhaps? or just shell out 30 bucks to experiment, your choice, I am done with this thread.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Helpful information thank you. I'm not as well versed with lasers as most here are. I certainly want to avoid putting something together that can hurt someone. So my questions are based on that premis and nothing else really. Easy for the experienced to say just defocus it but to me I have no idea what that involves or how to measure something and know that it is safe. I certainly do have more reading to do and welcome being pointed to reference resources. I would like to see you stick around on this thread as your input is helpful.

Thanks!

Craig

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Please remember: ANY laser shined in the eyes of someone, at close distance if low power, and also at long distance in case of high powers, can be always dangerous ..... and, ofcourse, also a line or diffraction gratings MUST NOT be shined in some eyes for joke or experiments .....

But, here, you're talking about a way for be visible in emergency conditions, from distance (search patrols or search airplanes), and for this purpose, AND ONLY FOR THIS PURPOSE, shine a laser in the direction of someother eyes can be acceptable (and, ofcourse, also in this case moving and waving it, both for increase the possibility to be seen, and decrease any possibility to damage right the persons that are trying to save you ..... ;)

BTW, just in theme of safety location ..... a great tool can also be some flashers, for safety location, and using some old one-time-use photocam circuits and a bit of resin, can be built something easy and efficent (and, in couple with a diffracted laser, may make almost impossible to locate you ..... except if the searchers are blind :p :D)

And, also, i've not tried to pass an unfocused beam through a diffraction grating ..... someone have a pic ?

Please remember: ANY laser shined in the eyes of someone, at close distance if low power, and also at long distance in case of high powers, can be always dangerous ..... and, ofcourse, also a line or diffraction gratings MUST NOT be shined in some eyes for joke or experiments .....

But, here, you're talking about a way for be visible in emergency conditions, from distance (search patrols or search airplanes), and for this purpose, AND ONLY FOR THIS PURPOSE, shine a laser in the direction of someother eyes can be acceptable (and, ofcourse, also in this case moving and waving it, both for increase the possibility to be seen, and decrease any possibility to damage right the persons that are trying to save you ..... ;)
The greatland laser is a class 3R 5mV laser line generator with a 4 degree divergence angle. From my research there was a bill back in 2005 (hr 1400) which was suppose to amend Title 49 Chapter 35 of the United States Code to specifically ALLOW this purpose however the bill never became law. I also found there was another bill in 2007 (i think hr 1516) with the same purpose and it too never became law. Doug Ritter from EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE - Outdoors Gear, Survival Equipment Review & Survival Information (a very addictive site!) has a review of the greatland laser from 2006 EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - Rescue Laser Flare Review. In any event, choosing between imminent lose of life or limb I'll take my chance and flash whoever I can.

I'm just looking for help in putting together a DIY laser for this purpose.

Thanks.

HIMNL9

If you want to DIY it all (i mean, not using any of the ready units), the better solution for you can be using a little plastic box (i think you call them project box), that hold an o-like module, a line lens or a diffraction grating (the one that you prefer), a lithium battery (a 18650 can be a good choice for durability), and a button switch ..... must stay all inside a pocket-size container, probably ..... it's more easy than get a custom machined host, too, and more easy to assemble and fit all, if you are not used to work with torch-type hosts .....

Also, if you want to experiment with defocused beams, for see if the visibility increase or not (cause the o-like modules are real pain you-know-where :p to unglue and defocus the lens holder), you can always add a little lens in front of the final one ..... like, half dioptry or similar, so the beam become unfocused but not too much .....