Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a green laser compareable to the Greatland Rescue Laser

Hello,

This is my first post. I've tried searching the forums for an answer but did not find a suitable response. If this has been covered a link to the thead would be appreciated.

I'm looking for a product similar to the the Greatland Green Rescue Laser Flare. It looks like a good product for its intended purpose (used as a signaling device during an a search and rescue emergency) but seems pricey.

Here is a review of the product on equiiped.org
EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - Rescue Laser Flare Review

Does anyone know of something similar or of another product which could be modded with a cylindrical lens?

Green Rescue Laser Flare® | Greatland Laser

Thanks.

Asherz

I guess you could just get a normal green focusable 100mW laser, then de focus it and that way you would have a large green "torch" similar to that :)

Then you could adjust it to change the intensity to your own needs, but if it is for point at planes it would have to be diffused as it can distract pilots and is an arrestable offence.

I guess you could just get a normal green focusable 100mW laser, then de focus it and that way you would have a large green "torch" similar to that :)

Then you could adjust it to change the intensity to your own needs, but if it is for point at planes it would have to be diffused as it can distract pilots and is an arrestable offence.

Using a laser as a flare during a life-threatening SAR emergency to grab the attention SAR personal is a much different scenario then flashing aircraft like some nut-job. I doubt anyone would be arrested during an SAR emergency scenario.

From what I understand the greatland laser shines a line when poitned at the ground. So I would think its beam is going through some sort of cylindrical lens like a wine glass stem or drink mixing rod versus just being a unfocused beam.

I'm looking for something that would need to be reasonably water proof (80ft deep is good), and work in cold temperatures down to -10 degrees or lower would be ideal. Minimal modification as well to get the laser to shine a "line" on the ground.

Any recommendations on what existing hardware to use and where to acquire?

Thanks.

Ok, so I obtain a line generator. I take it that is just a lens of some type? What laser would I use it with? I'm really a novice here an not affluent with laser terminology. I am looking for simple things I could put together without getting into a serious project. Ideally I'd like to end up with something no larger then a 3 AA cell flashlight. And most importantly I'd like the correct filter on this so that it is safe to use during an emergency search and rescue need.

Thanks.

Ok, so I obtain a line generator. I take it that is just a lens of some type? What laser would I use it with? I'm really a novice here an not affluent with laser terminology. I am looking for simple things I could put together without getting into a serious project. Ideally I'd like to end up with something no larger then a 3 AA cell flashlight. And most importantly I'd like the correct filter on this so that it is safe to use during an emergency search and rescue need.

Thanks.

If you want to do it on the cheap or just experiment, you need a laser pointer which uses an Aixiz lens assembly, there are plenty of this type of pointer out there, just use the search function of this forum to read up on them.

If however you want to something that will actually save someones life in a real SAR situation, buy one that is built for that purpose.

It is also worthwhile noting that the specification of the lense will probably be important, the Greatland one is 4 degrees and that Aixiz one is a lot wider. Think of it as a torch, the wider the spread. the less light is seen at distance, the more narrow the spread, the more light is seen at distance (floodlight verses thrower)

Hope that helps

Jerry

If you want to do it on the cheap or just experiment, you need a laser pointer which uses an Aixiz lens assembly, there are plenty of this type of pointer out there, just use the search function of this forum to read up on them.

If however you want to something that will actually save someones life in a real SAR situation, buy one that is built for that purpose.

It is also worthwhile noting that the specification of the lense will probably be important, the Greatland one is 4 degrees and that Aixiz one is a lot wider. Think of it as a torch, the wider the spread. the less light is seen at distance, the more narrow the spread, the more light is seen at distance (floodlight verses thrower)

Hope that helps

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the information.

Looking to experiment safely for now so. I'd love to be able to source a nice module as I have a machinist buddy who could easily make a nice water tight case for it. Cold weather operation would be my operating environment.

Is something like this similar to the greatland ? AixiZ

First off, 5mW will probably be too low power to project a decent visible line. Dont forget a line will not be of the same intensity as a normal dot. However for experimenting it should be fine.

Secondly why buy a module seperately? you will also need a driver and host in addition. Do yourself a favour and grab a v1 Dilda from DX:-

DealExtreme: $29.53 High-Power 200mW Red Laser Pen (Burns Match + Visible Beam Daytime)

30$ for the 200 mW pen + 3$ for the lense plus shipping will not break the bank I imagine. Also I can definately confirm that the Aixiz module screws straight into the head

Bare in mind that this is a red laser, but for experimental purposes you should get a nice line out of it, Also you will want to grab the narrowest line generator they do which in Aixiz's case is 38 degrees.

Having said all of the above, and when your experiments are complete, you will have to look into things like finding a green pointer that takes an Aixiz lense and also look into whether they can do AR coatings for 532nm (the ones on the Aixiz site all appear to be for 650 or so)

Also please note I am no expert in this field, more of an informed enthusiast, there will no doubt be others on these forums who will be able to give you more complete info than I can.

Good luck with your project, I hope it works out for you.

Jerry

Last edited:

HIMNL9

You can get a 100mW green unit from o-like (not the pen style, if you want to use them as rescue unit, you need to be sure that they survive to an accidental drop or fall, or accidents that can happen to the persons that carry it, after all), and just glue or fit in any way one of the line generator lenses that they sell ..... if you don't find one already build.

Like this one, as example: 100mW pocket green laser pointer£*>5~200mw green laser pointer£*>Laser&lighting products£*>www.0-like.com

An alternative can be use this one: 100mW Transformable focusable green laser£*>5~200mw green laser pointer£*>Laser&lighting products£*>www.0-like.com with their add-on diffraction grating cap, that they sell for extra $4 ..... moving the laser when someone is looking at it from distance, not just a line, but also a diffraction grate is very visible, if looked from the front .....

And, btw, green is the better color, for visibility, too

Edit: or, if you want to spend few money and just check if the thing can work or not, as distance signal, this one (also smaller, but just 30mW): http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=1052

Last edited:
Are these lasers safe if they shine or flash into someone's eyes? If not what sort of filter do they need to be safe. Is 100mW too powerful? I'm concerned about saftey.

I think the Greatland laster is a 6-volt 7mW with a 4 degree lens.

I not interested if the laser make a visible line but rather that someone far in the distance is able to see the light as a flash. My intention is to use it as a signaling device and not to burn anything.

Last edited:

Rob

Anything above 5mW can cause permanent eye damage pretty quickly. I'm not sure of the distance that they can cause the damage though. Also most of these cheaper lasers do not have IR filters.

moving the laser when someone is looking at it from distance, not just a line, but also a diffraction grate is very visible, if looked from the front .....

Actually good idea. I guess it doesn't have to be a "line" but just some shape the "grows" in size relative to distance to make flashing a target easy.

Anything above 5mW can cause permanent eye damage pretty quickly. I'm not sure of the distance that they can cause the damage though. Also most of these cheaper lasers do not have IR filters.

Good information to know. Thank you. Greatland states their laser at 7mW. So where to locate a 7mW laser with an IR filter?

Rob

At 7mW I'm pretty sure an IR filter is not needed since it's such a low power.

D

Deleted member 8382

If you are going to use it on cold weather forget about green lasers. I recomend you to buy the 200mW red torch on O-like and to test with it. If everything you need is to be seen from long distances, just unfocus this laser a bit, I ensure you you will be seen from many many many miles.