Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a good 50mW Blue pointer

I understand that and i will be using it safely cuz i will buy goggles when i buy the laser
We just agreed on 50mw cuz anything lower cant really do what i want it to do
Like burn stuff or have a vissible beam at night
I dont have anything to meassure the power so i will order it with a certificate

ktroy

I just bought the 50mw mini B from lazerer and had it about a week.
It's a great pointer. I wanted it because it is the weakest of blue, (therefore the safest, yet still dangerous yes) and because it was single mode with a very nice dot.
I like it a lot, but I wish it had a pocket clip and I wish it had a push and hold top mounted on/off button like a pen style pointer. The focus thing is kind of annoying but it holds it good even when sitting in your pocket all day.

All in all, I would rather have a pen, but this is literally the ONLY +/-50mw laser available, minus the ebay ones which are rubbish.

I think you will like it! It goes very well with a ~15mw green.

Just for clarifications, I didn't mean it would not blind you from a direct hit. I mean that blue can cause chemical burns in the eye, like sunburns, from indirect hits. Burning something looking close, or staring the dot...
Not a specular reflection. I mean diffuse reflection. When the green and red diffuse reflections just leave temporary marks on your eye, blue wavelengths cause cummulative damage...

Where did you get this information from? I was aware diffused reflections from class IV lasers are dangerous. I did not know a ~50mw 445nm diffused reflection could cause retina burn. Seems very peculiar.
Are you referring to the 1w blues and such?

Last edited:
First off please edit your previous post so not to double post. Second, any laser light is dangerous; staright on, reflection, difusion, whatever. Power is irrelevant with cummulative damage since its cummulative and not instant. You are thinking of instant damage and you are correct that 1W is more apt to cause instant damage vs a 50mW.

ktroy

First off please edit your previous post so not to double post. Second, any laser light is dangerous; staright on, reflection, difusion, whatever. Power is irrelevant with cummulative damage since its cummulative and not instant. You are thinking of instant damage and you are correct that 1W is more apt to cause instant damage vs a 50mW.

My mistake on the double. :)

I understand your point on cumulative vs instant. However, I think power is very relevant when it comes to any damage. Many many factors come into play. Shining a 1mw red pointer at dark wall 30ft away is causing cumulative damage?
Just keep the powers down low, play it safe and have fun. :)

anything under 5mW is completely irrelevant since your eye can blink fast enough to protect it without glasses. the power is irrelevant as to cumulative wasnt the best word choice. obviously more power is going to do cumulative damage fast than lower but the point was that 1W of 445nm will do instant damage while 50mW of 445nm may or may nor do instant damage (thats the irrelevant part is was trying to get at)

ktroy

@livinloud
I agree with you.
Trying to get a point across through literature can sometimes be like dragging yourself through a swamp with cinder blocks attached to your boots. haha

Out of curiosity, what kind of pens of various wavelengths do you have? Pens are my favorite and I am always looking for some nice wavelengths at moderate powers.

I just bought the 50mw mini B from lazerer and had it about a week.
It's a great pointer. I wanted it because it is the weakest of blue, (therefore the safest, yet still dangerous yes) and because it was single mode with a very nice dot.
I like it a lot, but I wish it had a pocket clip and I wish it had a push and hold top mounted on/off button like a pen style pointer. The focus thing is kind of annoying but it holds it good even when sitting in your pocket all day.

All in all, I would rather have a pen, but this is literally the ONLY +/-50mw laser available, minus the ebay ones which are rubbish.

I think you will like it! It goes very well with a ~15mw green.

Where did you get this information from? I was aware diffused reflections from class IV lasers are dangerous. I did not know a ~50mw 445nm diffused reflection could cause retina burn. Seems very peculiar.
Are you referring to the 1w blues and such?

Thank you very much for the info! :) i guess the mini b is gonna be my next laser then! :D

HOWEVER, lazerer is kind of iffy right now. not responding to emails, people ordering lasers and taking froever to recieve or ship out, breaking when they arrive (could be due to crappy handling during transport though and not quality). please understand the risks of buying a laser from hong kong before purchasing. hate to see you have to fight with max to get a good laser.

@ktroy i have a few 532nm, 660nm, 405nm. nothing really special yet but im working on turning a WL E2 Evo into a custom laser pen, not sure the wavelength yet though

Quote from the ad - seems to be described as a legit blue laser.

"2. Brighter than 405nm violet laser and softer than 532nm green and 650nm red lasers."

ktroy

I bought 3 of those ebay 445nm pointers.

Absolute junk. I am still trying to get my refunds back, after spending ~$15 return shipping each time. That's how bad I wanted a 50mw 445 blue. I tried over and over again.
So glad I finally just bought the lazerer, it is on a completely different scale it's so much better.

Issues with the ebay 445 pens:
First one would fire up at 80mw or so and die down to dimmer than a 5mw 635nm in less than 5 seconds.
The last 2 were consistent but the beam and dot was the worst I have ever seen. Actually I took pictures of them for the ebay refund they were so bad.

Found one. Here is the dot at around 25ft.

Attachments

• laser2.jpg
    laser2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
is that a dot? :p that really looks like sh*t... i hope you get your money back for this rip off...