Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a 10-20mW 520nm laser

NathanTeo

Hi I'm new here so do forgive me if I'm doing something wrong :p.

I'm looking for a 520nm handheld laser around 10-20mW for astronomy but I can't really seem to find much around this power output. I know this has been mentioned before on this forum but the lasers recommended don't seem to be available anywhere now. (I'm not sure if I'm searching hard enough). I have stumbled across some from aliexpress and ebay but the marketed power output seem to be all fake, mostly saying it is 1-5mW but I asked them they said the lasers are 100mW. I would really appreciate it if some of you can help me out here. I am open to building my own but I don't have too much experience in this area. I have simple tools like a cheap soldering iron that I got for other projects. If building my own is my only option what guides should I look at to help me out and what do you recommend it terms of the parts I need.

Thank you,
Nathan

NathanTeo

Here are good quality 10mW and 20mW pens however not inexpensive.

Yeah unfortunately those are outside my price range. I'm looking for something around the usd50 mark. Also I live in Singapore so I'm not sure how much shipping would cost me.

But thanks anyway, I really appreciate any help I can get.

These are 532nm, but green is green, dpss has better divergence anyway

GSS

Yeah unfortunately those are outside my price range. I'm looking for something around the usd50 mark. Also I live in Singapore so I'm not sure how much shipping would cost me.

But thanks anyway, I really appreciate any help I can get.
There are 2 member builders I can think of who are from Vietnam. I don't know the possible shipping issues due to this COVID crisis but they are "trinh hong phuoc" and "thanhtung"
Both have a great reputation as top notch builders and might be able to help you with that budget.

GSS

Lifetime17, I didn't mention you because his budget is $50 and he lives in Singapore.:(

Snecho

If 10-20mW isn't an absolute necessity, I would just get a 532nm 303 from еBay for $10, as 10-20mW won't be very easy to see as a beam for star pointing. 303s are usually around 50-80mW and have a dim but very nicely visible beam. Or even get a 532nm AAA pen type laser from еBay so you don't have to invest in rechargeable lithium batteries.

One more thing to note is star gazers usually use red pointers as the red doesn't interfere with night adapted eyes.

NathanTeo

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to explore all my options first.

If 10-20mW isn't an absolute necessity, I would just get a 532nm 303 from еBay for $10, as 10-20mW won't be very easy to see as a beam for star pointing. 303s are usually around 50-80mW and have a dim but very nicely visible beam. Or even get a 532nm AAA pen type laser from еBay so you don't have to invest in rechargeable lithium batteries.

One more thing to note is star gazers usually use red pointers as the red doesn't interfere with night adapted eyes.
Correct me if I'm wrong but from my knowledge 303s are generally <5mW 3a lasers. Also I've read up that anything higher than 20mW for a green laser will mess with your night adapted eyes. I would assume red lasers would have a much higher power output before it would affect night vision signatificantly.

Snecho

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to explore all my options first.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my knowledge 303s are generally <5mW 3a lasers. Also I've read up that anything higher than 20mW for a green laser will mess with your night adapted eyes. I would assume red lasers would have a much higher power output before it would affect night vision signatificantly.
303's are between 50mW and 80mW

NathanTeo

303's are between 50mW and 80mW
Huh yeah after digging a bit more I realise you are right. I guess most sellers understate their laser so many sources quote the power output wrongly. Thanks for clearing this up.