Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Look at the dot of a 1W Blue laser

RSE

Hello!
I just got a 1W blue laser with some safety glasses.
If i look at the laser dot with my safety glasses on i only see a tiny orange ish dot. will it cause damage to my eyes if i look at the dot with my safety glasses on? It are very cheap 6$ glasses from ebay but they do work as i cant see any blue light.
Also i already ordered a "Eagle Pair" just to be extra safe. But it will take some days for them to arrive.

kecked

Don’t stare at it but you should be fine. It could be a danger off a shiny surface but a wall or the beam at a reasonable distance should be ok. Blue in general is bad for your eyes. Someone posted about it. It will over a long time like your life be not so good but unless your staring at it 8 hrs a day you should be ok. If you see an after image it’s too bright. If that occurs spread the beam out by de focusing it. Doubling the divergence makes a huge increase in safety.

Ps if the only thing you see is an orange dot your fine. Try different surfaces and you may see different colors. That’s called Raman shift.

Last edited:

RSE

Thanks for your reply! I only see a very tiny orange stripe it almost looks like 5 vertical pixels on your monitor. I focused it for burning
it does not give me a after image so i think im fine

Hi,
Wear the glass use your common sense and be careful , These are not toys if you use them in right way you will enjoy them.

Rich:)

RSE

Hi,
Wear the glass use your common sense and be careful , These are not toys if you use them in right way you will enjoy them.

Thanks for your reply!
So when im using glasses im 100% safe to look at a 1Watt+ blue dot?
I just want to be 10000% sure that its save. i only use the laser to burn some stuff and i never point at reflective objects.

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes shining the dot on a surface with glasses not at reflective objects.

Hi,
It depends how extreme the finish is on the surface. Were talking glossy and glass type surfaces .

Yes, unless the surface can reflect a collimated beam, looking at the beam profile of a 1 watt blue laser will not cause you any damage to your eyes. Why? Because it becomes a point source of light that can be seen by anyone in the room from any direction. As such, it obeys the law of inverse squares which states the intensity of the light will decrease as the inverse of the square of the distance you are away from it. If it can reflect a specular light then it will only be seen by someone in the path of the beam. No one else will be able to see it.

I have lost count of how many times I have answered this question and made this distinction. It is really quite simple. If the beam profile can be seen at any point in the room, it will not cause you eye damage. This doesn't mean that I would look at the beam profile of a very high powered laser as it will be bright and bright light hurts, even if it doesn't cause damage.

Last edited:
Hi
No biggie everyone is entitled to their opinion buddy.

Actually, specular is the proper and accurate word most often use by whose working with lasers as it denotes the specific type of reflection. When using this word everyone knows precisely what is meant.