Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Local News is Spreding fear on Green Lasers again

v33

Someone got their Arctic confiscated.

Where do I get one of these "black market" lasers. Mine just come from China....;)

Ezcal

In the video they say this congressman is working on passing a bill to make shining a laser at a plane/helicopter a federal felony... What is the punishment as it stands today? I was under the impression that it was already a federal felony. :confused:

Maybe they meant in all 50 states? I could swear some already had that as a 5 year + jailtime offense...

Remember hearing about a guy shining it at a helicopter and was charged with breaking the U.S. Patriot act a while ago.

"*The Federal Aviation Administration says the number of Aviation events doubled from 1527 in 2009 to 2836 in 2010." I Lul'd! lrn2math, noob.

"*The Federal Aviation Administration says the number of Aviation events doubled from 1527 in 2009 to 2836 in 2010." I Lul'd! lrn2math, noob.

Hmm last time they did story on this they gave the number and much lower hit on air craft. The one where Helicopter are hit are more like local police and many are by gang type and just A-Hole with toy laser under 1mw nit the 5mw green's.

I still say this will effect the hobby and and could even kill it .
btw i can get flashlight with 5mw red laser in it at walgreens right now for $5.99 it a LED super bright flash light and it has center diode 5mw red laser in it .. So much for black market lasers...

CC

Benm

I like the part where they say, "it's cheap, easy to get and it can take down a plane" ?? Uh... yeah. So can a gun or any number of things.

Well yeah. I think the most effective method of taking down a plane with a laser is throwing it into one one of the engines on takeoff. This would obviously also work with a maglite, hammer or trashcan, which are all far cheaper and easier to get than a laser :D

Haha, i can think of a million things you can take an airplane down. All of which do more than a fucking laser.
You know CH13 is my local area.
Makes me pissed off.
I live in sacramento. i hope they dont pass a local law or some retarded shit.

Haha, i can think of a million things you can take an airplane down. All of which do more than a fucking laser.
You know CH13 is my local area.
Makes me pissed off.
I live in sacramento. i hope they dont pass a local law or some retarded shit.

Given enough time, I'm sure you can think of 2 million things that can "take down" a plane.
Does that change the fact that only ONE of those things is an immediate threat?

Get started on your list. You've only got 999999 to go.

1. Laser

^^^Personally I'm a lot more concerned about how easy it is to make it onto the tarmac. Clip board+generic uniform+fake badge... add in an authoritative voice, and every door opens like magic.

I'd call that more of an immediate threat:undecided:

^^^Personally I'm a lot more concerned about how easy it is to make it onto the tarmac. Clip board+generic uniform+fake badge... add in an authoritative voice, and every door opens like magic.

I'd call that more of an immediate threat:undecided:

There are thousands of incidents of lasers being used to "illuminate" aircraft. I don't hear about too many hijacks.

Anyway, one thing that seems to be misunderstood is that there is already an import ban. There are already restrictions on public use of lasers.
The laws already exist. Most of us are violating/have violated the law already. The state simply does not have the resources to enforce [at this point].

What's my point?
There are already laws in place so there is no use whining about "I hope Big Brother doesn't pass a law that ruins this hobby."
What you should be worried about is enforcement. If you are one of the jackasses that points lasers at planes or you draw negative attention to yourself in public, you should lay low for a while.
If you're smart and safe you should have no problem slipping under the radar and continuing to build lasers to your heart's content.

Last edited:
^^^Agreed.

Curious though, where are you taking the statistics/statement about thousands of incidents.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about enforcement... lasers just aren't a priority, and won't be unless something major happens (If anything I think these kinds of shows are supplying idiots with bad ideas).

For the time being most cops will at the most confiscate the lasers, and give a public nuisance citation... if there is no complaint. If there is an actual complaint it's a whole different ball game... could go as far as aggravated assault or worse. Of course with air planes and cars the laws are even more strict.

I was having a nice chat with two cops on saturday about this very subject actually... while shining lasers into the sky.