Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

List of 589nm diodes available?

nzoomed

I would like to do a yellow laser for my next build. Prefer 589nm if possible.
Who makes such diodes? I have done a search and cannot find any diodes on the market but some laser pointers seem to be made in this wavelength.
Perhaps I will just have to buy a pre built laser?

nzoomed

Oh ok. I didn't realize that they were a different technology. I thought DPSS was the technical term for a diode powered laser. Hopefully we will see diodes come out in this wavelength someday

Yes, i have seen diode 1w 589nm 9mm ! I dont remember íts name! The price of it about 4500usd :)

For those who aren't sure, the previous post is a joke. There are no 589nm laser diodes available at any price.

nzoomed

Ok, well I think I will forget about a yellow laser for now. Seems this wavelength is mostly used for medical use from what I see. Unless a new type of optical disc uses it, I doubt we will see an abundance of diodes lol

Yes, i have seen diode 1w 589nm 9mm ! I dont remember íts name! The price of it about 4500usd :)

Hi, Ok there are no 589 nm direct diodes in existence , If you find one thats like finding the Loch Ness monster, or Big Foot.
Paul is correct and so is Arctic..
Please post a link T...
Rich:)

Hi, Ok there are no 589 nm direct diodes in existence , If you find one thats like finding the Loch Ness monster, or Big Foot.
Paul is correct and so is Arctic..
Please post a link T...
Rich:)
I will find again! I saw it but i didn’t save it!

Oh! I totally misunderstood. If you are claiming there are 589nm direct diodes, even in research, I want to see them. At best, I believe you might have seen a DPSS laser and mistook it for a direct diode.

nzoomed

Either way, I don't think we will see a diode on the market unless there is a huge consumer use for them such as bluray has by the looks of things.

That article only postulates the use for direct diode lasers in the yellow region would be of possible medical interest. To date, there are still no room temperature direct diode 589nm lasers available for use by anyone.

nzoomed

That article only postulates the use for direct diode lasers in the yellow region would be of possible medical interest. To date, there are still no room temperature direct diode 589nm lasers available for use by anyone.
I don't know much about laser diode science/physics but the chemistry looks very Similar to leds. I'm assuming they cost millions of dollars to develop compared to LED's?
Or else we would see them I'm many many colors I'm assuming?
For party/disco lasers you can use RGB to get any color anyway so I'm guessing there wont be much incentive to develop such a laser unless mass use for a particular wavelength is required.