Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Line width, Beam quality

Hi,
I want to buy a new DPSS laser and do not understand, what mean some of the data in the specification.
It is:
"Line width" and "Beam quality"

Here is full specifications, can you send your opinions if parameters are good or not...

Wavelength 532nm
Spatial Pattern Near TEM00
Output power 5000mW
Working mode: TTL or analog modulation 0~30KHz
Line width 3.0~5.0
The Polariaztion >100:1
Flare shape Circular, aspect ratio <1.1 :1
Point to the stability of <0.05mrad
Beam diameter ~3mm
Beam divergence angle <1.5mrad
Stability of power +/- 5% per 4 hours
Temperature stability TEC
Beam quality <2
warm-up time: <15 minutes
Lifetime: 10000 hours
Power supply adjustable and digital screen display power source

Thank you for help!

diachi

Hi,
I want to buy a new DPSS laser and do not understand, what mean some of the data in the specification.
It is:
"Line width" and "Beam quality"

Here is full specifications, can you send your opinions if parameters are good or not...

Wavelength 532nm
Spatial Pattern Near TEM00
Output power 5000mW
Working mode: TTL or analog modulation 0~30KHz
Line width 3.0~5.0
The Polariaztion >100:1
Flare shape Circular, aspect ratio <1.1 :1
Point to the stability of <0.05mrad
Beam diameter ~3mm
Beam divergence angle <1.5mrad
Stability of power +/- 5% per 4 hours
Temperature stability TEC
Beam quality <2
warm-up time: <15 minutes
Lifetime: 10000 hours
Power supply adjustable and digital screen display power source

Thank you for help!

Let me google that for you - Linewidth

Let me google that for you - Beam quality

Really not that hard...

The links to RP-Photonics probably have the best explanations, but there will be other good sites out there.

Are those specs any good? Depends what you're doing with it - they'd be decent for a projector or a pointer. There are many scenarios where you'd want better specs though. Can't really comment unless we know what you want to do.

Last edited:

Gabe

This looks like a lab laser. What are you planning to do with it? And wtf does a beam quality of <2 mean?

diachi

This looks like a lab laser. What are you planning to do with it? And wtf does a beam quality of <2 mean?

They probably mean an M2 factor of <2. M2=1 being perfect beam quality. Check out the "Let me google that for you" link that I posted for more information. :)

Last edited:
Let me google that for you - Linewidth

Let me google that for you - Beam quality

Really not that hard...

The links to RP-Photonics probably have the best explanations, but there will be other good sites out there.

Are those specs any good? Depends what you're doing with it - they'd be decent for a projector or a pointer. There are many scenarios where you'd want better specs though. Can't really comment unless we know what you want to do.

Of course that I tried to search it , but I found only some graphs and formulas....

This specifications are, what I got from the manufacturer....

So very simply, is that values important for me? If i want to use this laser only for fun, like "pointer" ? Any effect on beam or...?

This laser is very expensive that is why I want to know what I buy!
If you want to use it only as a pointer, then the most important values are "Beam diameter" and "Beam divergence" , right?

Gabe

They probably mean an M2 factor of <2. M2=1 being perfect beam quality. Check out the "Let me google that for you" link that I posted for more information. :)

Son of a diddly! I'll be damned, I must be dyslexic. I thought OP was asking about transverse operating modes, and I thought you answered about transverse operating modes! Better check out that link, never heard of this before.

diachi

Of course that I tried to search it , but I found only some graphs and formulas....

This specifications are, what I got from the manufacturer....

So very simply, is that values important for me? If i want to use this laser only for fun, like "pointer" ? Any effect on beam or...?

This laser is very expensive that is why I want to know what I buy!
If you want to use it only as a pointer, then the most important values are "Beam diameter" and "Beam divergence" , right?

If you're just using it as a pointer then no, you don't need to worry about that. All you'd really be concerned with are TEM, Divergence, Diameter and Power. Where are you buying from?

If you were using it in something like holography then you'd be concerned with things such as linewidth and beam quality.

Edit: Reason I'm asking about where you're buying it is because no one makes a 5000mW 532nm portable. They don't exist. Sounds like a labby to me seeing as it mentions modulation too. That's a pricey piece of kit if so! 5W of 532nm isn't really something that'd even be practical as a pointer, it's just stupidly bright.

Son of a diddly! I'll be damned, I must be dyslexic. I thought OP was asking about transverse operating modes, and I thought you answered about transverse operating modes! Better check out that link, never heard of this before.

Haha, worth a read for sure! :)

Last edited:

You don't know diddly-squat. :crackup:

Alan

Yes, "diachi" you are right! Beam quality mean an M2 factor!

I'm only amateur and laser fan but I know, that 5W 532nm portable lasers do not exist! :) I am writing about untransferable, fixes laser - laser module + power supply (DPSS laser), no handheld pointer! :)

Where I buy from? It is no secret, I choosing between several Chinese manufacturers, some of them I found at alibaba.com.

Here are offers I choosing between - the price is approx. same everywhere....
Please type which one is best in your opinion, thank you.

1.Beijing Viasho Technology Co., Ltd.
http://i.imgsafe.org/adaf42d.png

2.Shanghai_Dream_Lasers_Technology_Co.,_Ltd.
http://i.imgsafe.org/f1d1645.png

3.Xi'an_Xinland_Commercial_Co.,_Ltd.
http://i.imgsafe.org/1a6086e.png

4.Shenzhen_91_Laser_Co.,_Ltd.
http://i.imgsafe.org/400da96.png

5.Jet Lasers Photonics Devices Co., Ltd.
http://i.imgsafe.org/91a4408.png

I like the most option no.3 by "Xi'an_Xinland_Commercial_Co.,_Ltd.", because have least beam divergence.

Thank you for answers!

Last edited:

Gabe

You don't know diddly-squat. :crackup:

Alan

I dun goofed! This looks more complicated than I can understand on a whim, but I get the jist of it. Took me a while to learn myself about drivers too, but now I know... slightly more than zero.

I dun goofed! This looks more complicated than I can understand on a whim, but I get the jist of it. Took me a while to learn myself about drivers too, but now I know... slightly more than zero.

I was only joking because you used that expression you sometimes do "Son of a diddly".

Alan

Gabe

I was only joking because you used that expression you sometimes do "Son of a diddly".

Alan

No biggie. Regardless.., Gaussian beams, beam waists, and how it all ties together... I gots me some reading to do.

Gabe

Easy there. Not sure I would trust those ones you find on alibaba and the like. Inherent fishiness in those types of sellers. Only one of those options I can vouch for personally is Jetlasers, they're a fine company and won't let you down. Never had a non portable lab laser from them though, so I couldn't tell you what they're like, just that I know the company is good.