Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Line through the dot

I've got a red in in Axiz module - I'm not sure why, but I got a line going across the dot. Take a look at the uploaded picture. I concluded that it is not the lens - I tried a different lens without a spring - did the same thing. At one point - it got dirty from me opening up the lens compartment; I fix it by carefully wiping the diode with a q-tip. Now it has this line. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem may be? Thanks.
Matt

Attachments

• DSCN5836.JPG
    DSCN5836.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 640

mmykle

Q-tip? Well there's your problem. Lenses on diodes and the like are VERY fragile and scratch oh so easy. A q-tip may feel soft on your fingers but in reality its abrasive to sensitive things like that. What might help repair it is to take a micro-fiber clothe and very lightly move it down the diode lens in one direction like from top to bottom, then back from top to bottom. I can't guarantee this will fix it, but it might help. I might post pictures of my x-100 that is scratched as well. Its pretty bad :(

Try canned air instead, or a mechanical blower if you don't want the chemicals.

Ace82

Some open can diodes do this naturally, and can not be prevented. Mine has one very similar. It is a natural, unavoidable occurrence, or I could be mistaken.

After I opened and closed the lens compartment, I first noticed blobs when the beam was unfocused (it also had extreme problems trying to focus into a dot). I tried canned air with no success. I used a q-tip on the diode fixing the blobs, but then I got the line. I just now tried q-tips with alcohol: made no changes (neither worse nor better). I believe this diode is closed can.

It's not all too bad. My camera is exaggerating the artifacts: the aperture was left open longer because the flash was off.

Thanks for all the replies!

daguin

This is absolutely normal.  All open cans (OK, every one that I have ever built) do this.  If it doesn't look like this (with the line through it), it isn't focused well or the lens is screwed up.  Yours is fine.  Don't be worried . . . Be proud of your fine work.

Peace,
dave

Ace82 said:
Some open can diodes do this naturally, and can not be prevented.  Mine has one very similar.  It is a natural, unavoidable occurrence, or I could be mistaken.

Yup, my open can does the same.

Just mine dont have a perfectly straight line through it, its more of a shakey line with a tiny curl on the end of it.

It's not really a problem, as long as there is a beam, a nicely focused dot and it burns right?

tomcat

thats perfectly normal its happened on every laser i have had its light leaking from the join in the middle of the diode even production lasers ahve this problem they just use a aperture hole to only let a circular beam out and block the lines....

this is front on view of a diode
|________________|

Ace82

One way you can tell if it's the lens, or the diode, is by turning the focusing lens while the laser's on. If the diffusion is caused from dirty lens, the spot's diffusion will turn with it. If it's the diode, it will stay in place even though the lens turns.

Thanks for the information!

The only issue is that my laser diode is not an open can, but closed. (It looks similar the the 803t diode, only it's from a 16X DVD burner).

I determined that the issue was not the lens by using Ace82's method and by trying a different lens.

Luckily, it still has a nicely focused dot and can burn just fine at 280ma.

chido

All red laser diodes do this, (at least the ones I've seen) here's a pic of mine:

Dot.jpg

You've got nothing to worry about.