Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LIGO The Absurdity of Detecting Gravitational Waves

There was too much rudeness going on in this thread, I still think the guy might have been trolling us, but he has started to post normally now, who knows, maybe to prove he isn't a troll as a kind of flip on it, I don't know, but I +repped him in another thread anyway. I did not see the Bobbee post, who was it aimed at, me or the watchman?

Bobbee tracked me here, He's been stalking me for over two years, He's very committed..... :horse:

But dang the mods here are quick, I didn't even see a single one of his posts and the only reason I knew he launched one of his attacks was because of a e-mail notification I got !

To who ever here who crushed him so quickly you have my BIGGEST THANKS ! :worthy:

Last edited:
There was too much rudeness going on in this thread, I still think the guy might have been trolling us, but he has started to post normally now, who knows, maybe to prove he isn't a troll as a kind of flip on it, I don't know, but I +repped him in another thread anyway. I did not see the Bobbee post, who was it aimed at, me or the watchman?
Honestly I am not a troll or here to troll these forum, I swear !

I'm just here because I just bought my first laser that wasn't just a dot on the floor for the cat to chase but a 1 + watt laser that burns things in a heart beat and I figured I should probably learn a little more about a laser that can do that because I thought it might possibly be dangerous and this place looked like the biggest with the most traffic which translates to a big knowledge base in my experience.

Alaskan I tried to +rep you back but it won't let me yet :beer:

Last edited:
OK, I love your green firing GIF, same one Visual Green used to use here, I believe.

Is this how he found you? Is this what Bobbee posted? I just googled your member name here and found this:

Acc.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34uAdKPl8Hc

Another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNP9WJ6Nhh0

Are you that same guy or maybe someone pretending to be him to troll the community? You put your location down as the same city as this guy who goes by the same member name on that other forum. Reading some of this guys posts in that YouTube video, he was threatening people on that forum the same way VisualGreen used to threaten a couple of members on this forum, maybe just coincidence..

Also, regarding your new signature GIF, I wouldn't use that banned members GIF, VisualGreen was threatening to find a member he was miffed at and show up at his door with a shot gun, told this to me himself last year and later threatened me with the same thing too. I wouldn't want to be associated with that. I don't know how you could have even found that GIF on the forum, it was in his signature and all of that was deleted when he was banned. Although another member started using it a couple of months ago too, but stopped doing so when I pointed out it used to belong to VisualGreen, after that he disappeared. IDK where he found it either.

Maybe you are this same watch hobbyist who has become interested in lasers and you have nothing to do with VG AKA CrazyJay, among others, maybe you are VG who has been active on other forums stirring up trouble, or maybe someone PM'd you telling you to put VG's old GIF in your signature to mix things up around here, I don't know, but coming here and using that same notorious member name from other forums you have been banned from is just asking for more trouble.

Only other possibility I can think of is VG, or someone, saw how much this guy is hated for being dishonest and wanted to do more trolling, so he created this member name to stir things up here with. Regardless, none of these possibilities are a good thing for you. If you want to get into the laser hobby and become active in this forum, I'd drop that member name and start out new here, otherwise a lot of bobbee's will probably be showing up here to give you grief.

Maybe I'm wrong and you can continue as you have been here, just some honest advice.

Last edited:
Look what has been going on between bobbee and myself has been ugly and the last thing I want to do is drag that BS in here, I'm here to talk about lasers, Not that fake screen grabbing, lying, lunatic !

It's very easy how he found me, He did a google search for my name, Now can we drop the bobbee nonsense and get back to lasers ?

Alaskan if your going to start accusing me of nonsense again you can just put me back on ignore because I've got plenty of that for that dimwitted bobbee and frankly after all the crap I've had to deal with on a count of him I've got a pretty short fuse with unfounded accusations !

Last edited:
Your reputation has followed you using that same name. That and also using VG's old GIF in your signature, a well known forum troll here. My guess is you enjoy the fight, that is why you have done both.

Last edited:
your reputation has followed you using that same name. That and also using vg's old gif in your signature, a well known forum troll here. My guess is you enjoy the fight, that is why you have done both.
You are the one stirring the pot ! and you are the one right now coming at me !

Last edited:
your reputation has followed you using that same name. That and also using vg's old gif in your signature, a well known forum troll here. My guess is you enjoy the fight, that is why you have done both.

leave me alone troll !

Last edited:

Rivem

I thought there might be a lively discussion about laser interferometry and large-scale scientific research going on...

Oh well.

Alaskan, the GIF is literally built into the forum in the smilies section. New members can't really be expected to know.

Accutronitis, the forum can be a bit hard to get used to at first. We've had lots of troll problems, and the way members have responded isn't quite graceful. Please just drop it and move on.

If it looks like you can't let an argument go and are mostly unknown, members can't help but assume you're a troll. That's how our regular trolls behave.

Granted, sometimes our forum vets can also share this behavior, but we know them, and they eventually cool down.

Last edited:
Of course I answered and very clearly saying I do understand but that I was using common everyday language to indicate the LIGO "detection" of gravity waves is not necessarily a fact just a prediction that it is or will be a considered fact at the end of the day. Maybe I was not being clear enough about it.

It is not about the measurement of the predicted waves. Their existence was proved years ago. It is about the new window that will open up our horizon. Measuring GW leads to a better understanding of their origin.

There are currently several other possible explainations offered by other parties of what the initial and subsequent 2 "detections" the LIGO "detectors" detected could be other than gravity waves. Might be the reason the 3 main LIGO guys were not awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics 2016 which media hype predicted had to be a shoe in.

Nobel prizes are awarded when the scientific discovery has a major impact to our lives. It could mean, waiting for decades till anti-g hooverboards are around.

In any case, it is just my personal opinion at the moment based on what I have read about the subject.

General relativity and quantum mechanics are not compatible with each other. That is a fact ( a black hole is small and has huge gravity). No theory today can fully describe this singularity but they are there. It means that one these theories has to be adjusted at least. LIGO is looking for signals that are not conform with current theories to find a hint (maybe) for the next big step in our understanding of the universe.

Great since it is and nothing else.

Singlemode

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Well general relativity has been proven to exist, and so has quantum mechanics. So there has to be something very large indeed that we are not seeing. I very much am in favour for a multiverse and/or extra dimensions. Both of those things are not directly observable.

Last edited:

Encap

It is not about the measurement of the predicted waves. Their existence was proved years ago. It is about the new window that will open up our horizon. Measuring GW leads to a better understanding of their origin.

Nobel prizes are awarded when the scientific discovery has a major impact to our lives. It could mean, waiting for decades till anti-g hooverboards are around.

General relativity and quantum mechanics are not compatible with each other. That is a fact ( a black hole is small and has huge gravity). No theory today can fully describe this singularity but they are there. It means that one these theories has to be adjusted at least. LIGO is looking for signals that are not conform with current theories to find a hint (maybe) for the next big step in our understanding of the universe.

Great since it is and nothing else.

Singlemode

I gave my thoughts--no sense in dragging this 8 month old thread through the mud with more necro-posting answering vague generalities, misunderstanfoings, and mistaken notions about other people's "science" job/work except to say "our understanding"?--there is no absolute "our" understanding--very obviously.

I get it--somebody sold you the articles of faith of the "universe" science, a religion of a sort. Good luck with it.

It is all true and real in the sense of the "universe" of paychecks for "scientists" from massive funding/spending of public tax money for those in the club who write the papers to get ever more funding $s. It all means maybe with luck lots of new bank teller windows on the money horizon, perhaps.

No matter what our scientific theories are or say, no matter our human religions teach, reality remains a mystery. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
The gravity B project proved that the fabric of space/time is distorted by massive objects such as planets, even our GPS must compensate for the time dilation caused by the earths mass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_Probe_B

It's great that you can use wikipedia to for information about major space missions. However (unlike in the satellite mission you posted) , your post has no new insight whatsoever and I assume you read just the first sentences.

That space-time (not spice/time) is curved by matter was proved, some years later after the publications of Einsteins theory during a solar eclipse. GP B, proved that not only matter but every type of energy distorts space-time.

In the GP B case it was the additional rotational energy that increases the distortion compared to the case if no rotation is present. (This becomes clear if one remembers Einsteins equation E = mc^2, where mass and energy are equivalent and both bend space-time)

Even this remarkable experiment proved something, but to a much higher degree than previous experiments. Science is not progressing by proving known theories ( I proved that my mobile phone is falling towards the Earth's center when it left my hand), but by finding inconsistency in the actual theory by new experiments with increased precision.

Finding such a inconsistency in the general relativity was such a goal of GP B and the goal of (future) observation of gravitation waves. That is the reason, why physicists always push to improve the accuracy and precision of their measurements. To find something they don't can explain with their actual knowledge and not to prove something they already know.

Singlemode