Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lightsaber host obi-wan tpm

I've been asking on the Ultrasabers forum (as I want to do this myself, with the Azure Reaper hilt) but the people there have been mostly useless. The main problem seems to be fitting the batteries in.
The best way to power a laser like this is with two 32650s, which are just wide enough to fit into an Ultrasabers hilt.
However, the problem is fitting two of them in there. If the distance from switch to the start of the pommel is not greater than 13cm, the build is impossible.
The Guardian is also basically impossible to disassemble. How are you going to get a battery contact board in there?

I was planning on using 2x 14500 li-ion batteries because that is what Ultrasabers use here.
https://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/z-sound-aacombo.htm
I asked DTR if the 14500 batteries would handle the current draw and he said
"Yea if you want to use two 14500's in series the only ones I know of that will work for the unit are the AW IMR 14500 cells and only buy from authorized dealers to make sure they are genuine."
Right now I am shipping back the 35mm copper module and getting the 25mm copper module. I am purchasing the Guardian empty hilt with the AV hole and a blue AV switch. I will decide on what batteries to use when I measure it for myself in hand. I will keep you posted what batteries will fit and in what combination :D

Sta

Re: GUIDE: Which company should I buy from?

I was planning on using 2x 14500 li-ion batteries because that is what Ultrasabers use here.
https://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/z-sound-aacombo.htm
I asked DTR if the 14500 batteries would handle the current draw and he said Right now I am shipping back the 35mm copper module and getting the 25mm copper module. I am purchasing the Guardian empty hilt with the AV hole and a blue AV switch. I will decide on what batteries to use when I measure it for myself in hand. I will keep you posted what batteries will fit and in what combination :D
Unless you have to I would really advise against using 14500 batteries. Even under ideal conditions you're only going to have about 6 to 8 minutes of run time. Accounting for voltage drop you won't get better than 3 or 4 minutes. With two feilong 32650s - if they can fit - you'll have at least an hour and 20 minutes. Also, keep in mind that the AV switch is momentary and not constant! So you'll have to hold it down while using it, which is not really ideal. :beer:

Last edited:

Unless you have to I would really advise against using 14500 batteries. Even under ideal conditions you're only going to have about 6 to 8 minutes of run time. Accounting for voltage drop you won't get better than 3 or 4 minutes. With two feilong 32650s - if they can fit - you'll have at least an hour and 20 minutes. Also, keep in mind that the AV switch is momentary and not constant! So you'll have to hold it down while using it, which is not really ideal. :beer:

Yeah the 600mAh equates as 600/4500*60 = 8 minutes... I will definitely try to get the 2x 32650s in there before I go for the 2x 14500s. As far as the momentary switch goes, it looks a lot cooler than the latching switch, but it is less ideal so I may end up going with the latching switch. Should I go with aesthetics or function? Remember this is going to be a freaking beast lightsaber :p\
:lasergun:

Last edited:
Well, I could not resist. I purchased the Guardian complete empty hilt with guarded latch switch. :D It should be here in about a week.

Sta

Well, I could not resist. I purchased the Guardian complete empty hilt with guarded latch switch. :D It should be here in about a week.

Good luck! We're all anxious to see what you do with it. I'll probably be purchasing an Azure Reaper, with a few modifications to it to make the build easier. :)

Good luck! We're all anxious to see what you do with it. I'll probably be purchasing an Azure Reaper, with a few modifications to it to make the build easier. :)

Yeah that Azure Reaper looks badass! I had to go with the Guardian because I felt that the wavelength of my laser most closely resembled Obi-Wan's first laser color. :p

I've been asking on the Ultrasabers forum (as I want to do this myself, with the Azure Reaper hilt) but the people there have been mostly useless. The main problem seems to be fitting the batteries in.
The best way to power a laser like this is with two 32650s, which are just wide enough to fit into an Ultrasabers hilt.
However, the problem is fitting two of them in there. If the distance from switch to the start of the pommel is not greater than 13cm, the build is impossible.
The Guardian is also basically impossible to disassemble. How are you going to get a battery contact board in there?

I just calculated the distance from the bottom of the button to the pommel opening using the 1" OD of the blade as a reference. I have estimated the distance to be 5.5 inches or 14 centimeters. This is well over the 13 centimeters you quoted as the minimum distance, however; this is only true for the Guardian build. Your Azure Reaper may have a different distance but by the look of it I think it is well over 13 centimeters as well. :D

Last edited:

Sta

I just calculated the distance from the bottom of the button to the pommel opening using the 1" OD of the blade as a reference. I have estimated the distance to be 5.5 inches or 14 centimeters. This is well over the 13 centimeters you quoted as the minimum distance, however; this is only true for the Guardian build. Your Azure Reaper may have a different distance but by the look of it I think it is well over 13 centimeters as well. :D

Thanks. I have some Feilong 32650s on the way, so I'll inform you if they can fit in my two Ultrasabers - if they do, I'll go ahead and order the Azure Reaper, otherwise I'll either get them to hollow out another 1 or 2 mm, or just :)() buy a 2d maglite. :beer:

Encap

Yeah the 600mAh equates as 600/4500*60 = 8 minutes... I will definitely try to get the 2x 32650s in there before I go for the 2x 14500s. As far as the momentary switch goes, it looks a lot cooler than the latching switch, but it is less ideal so I may end up going with the latching switch. Should I go with aesthetics or function? Remember this is going to be a freaking beast lightsaber

Do you know what the tube internal diameter is? Can a 32650 fit in it?
32650 batteries are 32mm X 650mm 1 17/64th diameter/1.2598 inches in diameter.

If not you could go with 18650, 18500, or 18350

Last edited:

Do you know What to tube internal diameter is? Can a 32650 fit in it?
32650 batteries are 32mm X 650mm 1 17/64th diameter/1.2598 inches in diameter.

If not you could go with 18650, 18500, or 18350

The host is coming in the mail tomorrow evening eastern time. I will upload pics of it as well as the necessary dimensions and let you all know them for your reference. Check back here tomorrow at this time or Friday morning and everything will be on here or in a new thread. :D

Last edited: