Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Let's talk low powered lasers that are safe for pets

Hello LPF. This is my second thread here after my introduction thread so I hope I'm not out of line asking this. I have searched using whatever terms that I could think of but I think that my terminology is just too limited to come up with the results that I'm looking for.

With all of that said, let's get on with it.

I'm looking for some low powered laser pointers including 405nm, 532nm w/ IR filter, 638nm, and maybe a 445-450nm if such a think even exists for a decent price. These need to be >5mW to be safe to play with my puppy. While reading though a thread I came across someone saying that Laserbtb has 405nm lasers that may actually be 5mW.

Firstly, does anyone know this to be true? Also, I see that they have a 5mW 532nm with IR filter for a great price. Also a 5mW 638nm. I can get all three for around $70. Would this be a worthwhile investment? These are only going to be used as pet toys and maybe to safely show to a friend or two so price is a concern but safety is my number one concern.

I've done some reading on Laserbtb and really like what I read. I'm really looking for an excuse to try one (or three) out. :D

Thanks for your time,
Colby

LaserGlow has a large selection of laser pointers (under 5mW, as opposed to handheld lasers), however those are premium quality lasers and are quite expensive. DO NOT get any from Amazon or eBay, most of those are 50mW+. I do not have any personal experience with laserbtb but they have proven themselves reputable. Good luck :beer:

I'd vote laserglow too-- they keep their 5mW lasers on-spec.

Usually other companies have them overspec, I can't speak for laserbtb at 5mW because the lowest power I ordered was 50mW (LPM's 51-52mW), but they might also keep it there. Worth adding the note to the order that they need to be 5mW or less.

I'm really liking the Anser (Green) and Libra (Red) Pointer Combo-Pack from Laserglow but the >5mW 405nm is very expensive. Why is that?

xmtgx

https://www.atlasnova.com/RedLaserPointer635nm.htm

These are also very good, have a couple and have had them for years still in perfect condition. Smaller than the laserglow ones as well. They all test around 3.5-4mW

I wouldn't bother with anything other than red or green. 5mW of 405 is hard to see for us and I believe even harder for dogs. And as for 445 I'm not even sure you can get 5mW, and if you can it wouldn't be cheap for a dog toy.

EDIT: nvm you can get the 445 at 5mW I see, but expensive for a dog toy like I said.

Last edited:
5mW 405nm and 5mW 445nm do exist, but cost significantly higher because they are the same diodes that power the more powerful lasers, they just tune down the input current

I would stick to the tiny keychain reds that use button batteries.

HOWEVER some dogs get obsessed- and that you do NOT want. Cats rarely get that way about lasers. Tennis balls are a better and safer way to play with your puppy.

Cesar Milan(The Dog Whisperer) had a episode about a dog with a bad laser habit- any reflection or shinny light would make the dog obsessed- my neighbor has seven dashounds- only one became obsessed and that poor dog is miserable- I guess a fair test would be to see how long after you put the laser away the dog keeps looking for it.

My friends dog apparently knows I am the laserman and the entire time I am visiting she never stop looking & whining for the laser dot even tho I stopped using any of my lasers around her when I first saw how obsessed she had become. her owner his a 40mW green pointer so he was the one that got her 'hooked' and even though he no longer shines his green pen around her she has been looking hard for that spot for more than 3 years.

sorry but IMO sitting on the couch with red pointer has to be the laziest approach to playing with a dog ...ever. Also I would not recommend any Blu- ray laser around pets.
It is prolly the fastest burner(of visible wavelengths) and the divergence is such that the dot remains small and thus more concentrated than other wavelengths at distance.

Last edited:
But the divergence just has to do with the collimation optics, right? Unless 405nm diodes just happen to have an industry standard smaller default divergence? :thinking:

I would stick to the tiny keychain reds that use button batteries.

HOWEVER some dogs get obsessed- and that you do NOT want. Cats rarely get that way about lasers. Tennis balls are a better and safer way to play with your puppy.

Cesar Milan(The Dog Whisperer) had a episode about a dog with a bad laser habit- any reflection or shinny light would make the dog obsessed- my neighbor has seven dashounds- only one became obsessed and that poor dog is miserable- I guess a fair test would be to see how long after you put the laser away the dog keeps looking for it.

My friends dog apparently knows I am the laserman and the entire time I am visiting she never stop looking & whining for the laser dot even tho I stopped using any of my lasers around her when I first saw how obsessed she had become. her owner his a 40mW green pointer so he was the one that got her 'hooked' and even though he no longer shines his green pen around her she has been looking hard for that spot for more than 3 years.

sorry but IMO sitting on the couch with red pointer has to be the laziest approach to playing with a dog ...ever. Also I would not recommend any Blu- ray laser around pets.
It is prolly the fastest burner(of visible wavelengths) and the divergence is such that the dot remains small and thus more concentrated than other wavelengths at distance.
One of the red button battery powered lasers is how I found that my puppy was interested in chasing lasers. She didn't seem to be obsessed, as you mentioned. Her attention span is shorter than mine lol. As soon as I turned it off, she moved on.
Also to add. I lead a far from lazy lifestyle as do my dogs. We are just simply looking for new ways to play. Not too much to ask is it?

Last edited:
I don't think he's trying to be offensive, just his advice. I would say it's far easier to get a cheap red laser from any general store, but if you're the classy type of person, a LaserGlow pen will be quite the flashy style :D

Last edited:
I didn't take it as him being offensive. Even if he was, I have thick skin.. This is the Interwebz after all.. :na:
Seeing as how my obsession with lasers is growing daily only reading about them, I know that I won't be happy with something cheap. I also have a little expendable income to spend right now. I've decided that I'm defiantly going with the laserglow combo.

Good choice :beer: you can't go wrong with buying from LaserGlow. Make sure you make a review :beer:

I may look into doing a small review. It'll be from a "noob's perspective" but maybe it'll help out a newcomer if anything. :)