Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lens burnt with LPM?

Frankk

I think I screwed up my 1W Spartan using my LPM incorrectly. I put the laser, level to the ground, right up to the sensor and held it there. Now I have a burn mark on the outermost lens. It's black and has depth =\

Is that possible? If so, what the heck do I do now? :confused:

The laser beam itself has a permanent halo around it.

Last edited:

Your saying that your lpm sensor reflected enough of the beam back into the lense that it burned it? The recommended distance from the aperture to the thermopile is 1 - 6" plus the lense is recessed into the host a good 1 1/4" if not more, check the underside of the dust cap, maybe you turned it on with it screwed in, if so it will be burned and could have reflected the beam back at the lense. I've never heard of this happening and I've metered my Spartan using the same lpm at different distances and I wouldn't think it would reflect enough of the beam back at the lense, the sensor is coated to absorb the light energy. Also, burning certain things close to the lense can stain it.

Frankk

I lost the dust cap last week, so that's not the problem. I just lightly brushed the lense with a que tip wrapped in toilet paper and it broke the lense off the glue that was holding it...

I'm not having the best luck with my lasers so far :S I suppose they're more delicate than I thought. Would Frank be able to fix it if I sent it back?

Last edited:
The glass lense popped out of the lense nut? I think the glue is just there to keep the lense focused, can you take pictures?
Edit: just tell Frank that there was something on the lense and you lightly tried brushing it off... Boom, it broke, he should be able to help.

Last edited:

Frankk

Thanks, I'll post pictures later today. I need to charge my camera.

I think I screwed up my 1W Spartan using my LPM incorrectly. I put the laser, level to the ground, right up to the sensor and held it there. Now I have a burn mark on the outermost lens. It's black and has depth =\

Is that possible? If so, what the heck do I do now? :confused:

The laser beam itself has a permanent halo around it.

Sorry to tell you this... but there is no way that a 1Watt Laser
will reflect enough energy back from a LaserBee II Thermopile
Sensor's coating to burn anything...

BTW... the User Instructions state a greater distance from the
Thermopile's Sensor than "right up close"...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

DrSid

Once I mounted plastic line grating to my 400mW green .. and I used black plastic tape for that. Unfortunately the tape got caught in the beam .. the tape got a bit warped .. but as it got hot, it damaged the transparent grating.
I can imaging something similar happening with LPM .. but the sensor would have to be very close, contact distance .. and the lens would have to be plastic.

Once I mounted plastic line grating to my 400mW green .. and I used black plastic tape for that. Unfortunately the tape got caught in the beam .. the tape got a bit warped .. but as it got hot, it damaged the transparent grating.
I can imaging something similar happening with LPM .. but the sensor would have to be very close, contact distance .. and the lens would have to be plastic.

I can't see this happening with the coating on the LaserBee II
Thermopile Sensor. A 1 watt Laser beam will not soften or warp
or damage the coating that we tested to 3.5Watts without damage.
It will not emit any chemicals or substances at 1 Watt that will
deposit on a lens or cause it to burn the lens as was state by
the OP..

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

Frankk

Okay here are some pics:

53350.png

b2d1e.png

abcd0.png

The black dot is a bit hard to see, but you can tell that the lens isn't fixed into position. I'm pretty sure it's plastic too.

Last edited:

DrSid

If it's so deep inside, I don't see how it could be affected by LPM. Looks like there was dirt inside, and it burned itself to the surface of the lens.

I can see that happening easily if you held it like that up to a mirror but not with your Laserbee- the senor is black and reflects very little-

Q? why would you have it so close- check any pics here of lasers on LPMs and you will not find any that close--

I use the same of all my lasers and LPMs-- ~6inches

sorry to see this happening--

I have seen problems caused by bits of teflon tape- debris from burt lens caps and bits of thermal compound getting burned- afaik no good company sells 1W 445 with PLASTIC lenses- if the do- I would find another company to buy from- our builders

here use only AixiZ glass or G series glass lenses in the builds- NO PLASTIC!!

also the cotton on common Q tips is held in place with a glue that can dissolve if you are using a solvent or lens cleaner - a small problem can become a big one that way.

wish I could say that I learned all this the easy way... but I didnt-

Frankk

Okay, thanks guys. Going to give you rep when I get on a real computer.

Can't learn the easy/cheap way all the time I suppose.

tru dat.. mon frair--
btw we always apprerciate kind words in our rep even if your newcomer score is too low to be in the 'green'-- at Rep in profile- the blue is new-(no score) the red is neg. and the green are good (they add to ones score)- getting a pos from the likes of Jerry can jump you sometmes more than 3 or 4 rep points-maybe 5.

Asking for rep is bad manners it needs to be earned.

Well Friday after work when I woke up the computer from it's nap the damn thing 'lit on fire' No Joke.. Had a water leak in the cooling system fried a 300$ PSU 500$ mobo 300$ vid card and possibly a 800$ CPU 800$ ram.. I think I lost most of the components and I'm out about 1200$ (light est).. 2200$ish worst case.. For amyone water cooling DO NOT BUY 'Feser One' coolant.. This is the 2nd time I fried shit with it.. It is conductive..

Sorry about your loss.. I'm still trying to figure all my shiz out to test what is still good..

PS DO NOT POINT YOUR LASER AT YOUR LED SCREEN! You can kill pixels...