Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

launching Http://Burning-Lasers.com

Re: launching Http://BurningLaser.org

i agree with fixing the typos.....because who wants to look stupid....

but i refuse to give in to this world of sissy whiners who cringe if you say something that "could possibly in some way be offensive to some person somewhere somehow"

.....think i grew up in the wrong generation sometimes....
what ever happened to lifes tough, get a helmet?
everybody is worried about how people are going to react, i say who gives a shit.......
and i would probably have this same attitude at work if it didn't mean me getting fired......

i think everyone has sand in their vaginas and they just need a good douching..

and i'm sorry if i hurt anyone feelings ;D ...but not really....

more serious note though.....i mostly sell all of my lasers on Ebay, i sell a few on here for MUCH cheaper, and i'll continue to do so...the website mostly acts as a way of letting ebay users get real information on the lasers.....as i can't tell them the real output on my listings.
so my buyers either come from here, where people can go by my reputation on LPF, or from ebay where they can go by my 100% positive feedback.
(skip the lectures of selling dangerous lasers on ebay)

like i said this is just an attempt to make a hobby pay for itself.....not an attempt at creating a business...i'm not worried about attracting alot of customers.......

the prices realisticly for LPF members are around 20% less than advertised on the site.

FrothyChimp said:
Greg over at Stonetek actually uses ZenCart which is a cleaner derivative of OSCommerce.

EDIT: One other thought. Get a .com name. If you use .org, people will tend to enter .com out of habit and end up somewhere you don't want them to be. They end up at burninglaser.com which is for sale meaning if you are doing well someone can spend the money to purchase that name and a portion of your potential customers will end up on a site selling lasers that are not yours. Just something to keep in mind.
Looks like burninglaser.com is taken.

by this guy:

Registration Service Provided By: DOMAINGENIES

Domain Name: BURNINGLASER.COM

Registrant:
jacknames.com
russell boyd last (dutch@jacknames.com)
2611 burrwood , n/a
columbia
mo,65203
US
Tel. +1.3103841489
Fax. +1.3103841489

Creation Date: 23-Dec-2008
Expiration Date: 23-Dec-2009

Domain servers in listed order:
ns2.parked.com
ns1.parked.com

Looks like he bought it just to sell.... what a bastard..

Also, I like the website, good luck with sales. You have good prices, its just up to you to have good service, quality products, and fast shipping times if you want your customers to refer your site.. or become repeat customers.

-Kendall

Ouch. Sorry to have bothered you. Didn't mean to have stepped on your toes. My goal was to offer some constructive criticism from someone who has been there. It appears you have it under control. OEM Lasers was once a very small business. A couple of us got together and with some motivation and aggressiveness built a company that paid for our laser hobby also. It also now pays my house note, my two kids private school, my vacations, and about anything I want and allows me to work in the field I enjoy without having to hide my true feelings for fear of getting fired. But what do we know? Not bad for a company a little over four years old. In a couple of months I get to watch one of our lasers fired from a military helicopter as part of a test program that could result in a 20 million + contract. Not bad for a company that initially paid for our hobby.

When I see people starting their own businesses it gets me excited because I know the exhilaration of risk. But, alas, I guess we all rise to our own level of incompetence.

I was just trying to help. I won't make that mistake again.

Mohrenberg said:
and as far as the "professionalism"....i have to act professional all day so when it comes to my hobby i'll think i'll pass, i'm not looking for this to be a side job...just a hobby that might be able to pay for itself.
[highlight]you'll find the professionalism in the build, not my character  ;)[/highlight]
With that attitude, they will never get to see your builds.

Ok if that's how you respond to us trying to help you make more money then fine, do what you like, just don't expect to be earning much at all.

One question for you though, find one respected and popular online store that uses found language on almost every page. Be sure to post it back here when for have found it.

Mohrenberg said:
and as far as the "professionalism"....i have to act professional all day so when it comes to my hobby i'll think i'll pass, i'm not looking for this to be a side job...just a hobby that might be able to pay for itself.
you'll find the professionalism in the build, not my character  ;)

Hey Mohrenberg....
    I wasn't trying to insult you or be negative...  ;)
It's your site.... you can do what you want with/to it.... just letting you know my
first impression when I clicked on your link..
I was certainly not offended by your site.... but a paying customer might be... :-?

I'm sure you wanted us to comment on it... or you would not have given us the link:-?

Jerry

Jerry

Double jerry here!!

At least your site is smooth.

Aren't .org sites supposed to be nonprofit, educational sites?

Stores clearly should be .com or .biz or something... but never .org

pseudolobster said:

.org can be anything nowadays... :p

pseudolobster said:

yeah that doesn't mean anything. stonetek uses .org also.

-Kendall

kendon

pseudolobster is right on this one, .org should be for non-commercial organisations. there are no restrictions or requirements for using these tlds, so it is not incorrect to use them for commercial websites, it is just "not nice" if you want so.

btw. .edu is for educational sites, and that is connected to some requirements you have to meet to register a .edu tld.

yeah. i use .org, and its for my nonprofit organization. not too big a deal tho....i mean, i dont think there will ever be a nonprofit org by the name of burning laser :p

DTMF

sweet after you take pic's you should put them on your site . customer's love to "see" where there item is being made .

heh people taking offense.
i wasn't annoyed by anything you guys said, and i do take your opinions into consideration (why else would i of even post this thread).
but i don't want to put on a show....i am simply not a business man, i am just some guy willing to build a laser if somebody wants one, thats it.