Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers to help make bicycles safer?

That looks like a great idea although I am sure it won't make drivers drive more safely. For many years now it has become increasingly hazardous to ride a bicycle or to cross the street, at least here in Washington. I am sure there must be huge numbers of pedestrians and bicyclists run down and killed daily and we just don't hear about it, I wonder if anyone even keeps track of such data. I look forward to the new self driving cars, they will make us all much safer.

Alan

That looks like a great idea although I am sure it won't make drivers drive more safely. For many years now it has become increasingly hazardous to ride a bicycle or to cross the street, at least here in Washington. I am sure there must be huge numbers of pedestrians and bicyclists run down and killed daily and we just don't hear about it, I wonder if anyone even keeps track of such data. I look forward to the new self driving cars, they will make us all much safer.

Alan

Yes! Although wouldn't it make more sense to use a green laser instead of a red to aid visibility in drivers? I think self-driving cars are good, but I bet they will be expensive, and there still needs to be tons of research done before they become mass produced! Myself, I would call myself a safe driver. I never speed, always use blinkers and don't drive like it's GTA(I know amazing for a teenager :p), it may seem weird but I would rather myself be in control of my car then having a computer do it for me.

-Alex

Yes! Although wouldn't it make more sense to use a green laser instead of a red to aid visibility in drivers? I think self-driving cars are good, but I bet they will be expensive, and there still needs to be tons of research done before they become mass produced! Myself, I would call myself a safe driver. I never speed, always use blinkers and don't drive like it's GTA(I know amazing for a teenager :p), it may seem weird but I would rather myself be in control of my car then having a computer do it for me.

-Alex

I am not sure about the green or not, green means go red means stop. Maybe it should be yellow for caution, but then it would cost at least $1000 and no one would buy one. The cars are about ready for production but are still in the testing phase, they are even testing self driving trucks now. Once they are in widespread use and have been proven reliable I would trust the computer more than a person.

Alan

Last edited:
I am not sure about the green or not, green means go red means stop. Maybe it should be yellow for caution, but then it would cost at least $1000 and no one would buy one. The cars are about ready for production but are still in the testing phase, they are even testing self driving trucks now. Once they are in widespread use and have been proven reliable I would trust the computer more than a person.

Alan

We will need to wait and see then :)

Also, would a laser laser even fit in that thing? If it could and went into mass production it might lower yellow prices, though this is a far fetched dream!

-Alex

We will need to wait and see then :)

Also, would a laser laser even fit in that thing? If it could and went into mass production it might lower yellow prices, though this is a far fetched dream!

-Alex

Well it's only projecting an image onto the riders back from about a foot away so just a <5mW would work so I think they could make them any color. I don't know how much they would help or not. Someone with road rage will see this on your back. Target lens kit for 12x30mm AixiZ modules, AixiZ

Alan

It just occurred to me the self driving cars probably won't be able to read such images, so the idea will be obsolete in a few years.

Alan

Teej

It just occurred to me the self driving cars probably won't be able to read such images, so the idea will be obsolete in a few years.

Alan

Self driving cars already have proximity sensors to auto-brake them, etc.

Simply adding transponders for example might allow additional warnings for either bike or car, etc.

Thank you for sharing this this is a great invention. Anything that promotes a safety factor is a plus no matter where we live. With this and cycling education it's a plus auto drivers on the other hand should be more aware of pedestrians and bicyclists.
Thank you great post very interesting invention....

Pman

I have a chauffeur. My wife likes to drive and has never ever had any kind of ticket in the 34+ years she's been driving. Pretty amazing to me considering we are adding in any kind of parking or whatever else there is.
I haven't had one in almost 20 years as far as actual driving. When I worked for a company I received 2 parking tickets when customers told me I could park in certain spots and I wasn't too happy. We drive like old ladies though.
I had tickets back when I was younger but now own a couple hybrids and a Honda Pilot which is only used when I need to carry more stuff or to make sure the brakes get cleaned off.
Not so sure I like the idea of self driving cars. I've been using computers since back in the punch card days and I don't care how well they are built, they will crash at some point. Can't imagine the lawsuits when something goes wrong.
On the other hand I am absolutely amazed at what man has been able to do with the brain God has given them. Pretty cool that I've lived through the start of personal computers to what's out there now.
I am all for safety but will admit to having just binge-watched (well really over about 1 week) all episodes of Street-Outlaws and it stinks that I have to wait for the next episode lol
Of course some would say I'm nuts for owning so many lasers but most of them aren't here;) I've been seriously thinking about selling a lot of my 532nm builds and focus-able pens but I'm not sure who's interested in them. Also wondering if anyone would be interested in having me make their over-spec pens focus-able too.
Anyways, nice interesting find.

Maybe you can make your own pen projector with all those pens. Lol
Anything to make the rider stand out at night. Even a small party laser machine pointed to the rider's reflective shirt might work.

I am not sure about the green or not, green means go red means stop. Maybe it should be yellow for caution, but then it would cost at least $1000 and no one would buy one......

Alan

hmmm. maybe do a green/red combo to save on cost but still be a warning color.

Self driving cars already have proximity sensors to auto-brake them, etc.

Simply adding transponders for example might allow additional warnings for either bike or car, etc.

I have heard about the transponders that will be in the cars that will communicate with other vehicles on the road in front and behind them. It does make sense that these should be in bicycles too when the cost permits it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we soon have self riding electric bicycles. :crackup:

hmmm. maybe do a green/red combo to save on cost but still be a warning color.

Good thinking, good idea.

Alan