Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

lasers in playstation one

what sort of laser diodes are in a ps1. are they any good because i have 2 of them.
cheers

I'd say a low-powered infrared laser. They'd be good for practicing soldering, pressing into a module, etc, but you'd be better off buying an LPC sled for red or IR diodes.

Last edited:

daguin

Are you certain? PS1 can't play DVDs last time I checked.

You may be right. I made a quick assumption based on "natural" progression. I have NOT been a gamer since my Commador 64 died!

It would probably still be safe to assume that the PS1 has no worthwhile laser diode in it to be harvested, eh?

Now I feel old ;)

Peace,
dave

so i could still get it to practice with will there be a dim dot? or do i hVE TO USE my camera to see it.
i have 2 nintendo 64's if thats what you mean by commander 64.
cheers

Nope, Commadores are older than that! Older than me by a lot, came out in '82.

You need to look elsewhere, DVD burners are the best for low cost easy builds.

ok. can i just attach low voltage so even if it spikes it wont kiill it so lower than its recemended voltage?
cos i dont get my driver for like a month and im bored :)

You need to wait, being impatient is one of the worst things you can do in a laser build

9 out of ten chance you will kill it, either from static or spikes or erratic powering of the diode. Do not try to run the diode without a driver if you value the diode at all!