Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers = Illegal soon :(

Australia and its in the works atm. Pen to paper. No final word as to when they will be ban. I think though that they will find it hard since if we were to import small laser modules, diodes, boxed lasers, lasers in heat sinks that the X-Ray machine will not be able to pick them up unless the packages are physically opened. They can be declared as DJ lighting equipment or lighting effects.

It's such a shame how some people lack common sense and decency :'(

The loophole is that they would not ban DVD burners so you could just build your own reds...

I'm in the UK and so the chances are that we will get a laser ban- they seem to be pretty ban-happy over here :mad:

GooeyGus said:
Well people drink and drive every day... I haven't seen them ban cars or alcohol yet. Just because a few dumbasses did this doesn't mean they should ban them all together. :mad:

I heard that if alcohol was discovered recently it would banned as it is an addictive depressant- sorry to bring that up but i think its kinda interesting

also, can people make greenies out of IR diodes?

Things

I say all us aussie lasersists mass email them and tell them that lasers are part of our religion, so they cant take them from us. ;D

Ha. They will never stop us. Banning drugs simply increases their circulation... why not the same with lasers?
I have imported film many times in purpose built lead bags. (camera film) I can't see why one could not import a laser in a lead bag, as mine have never been opened.
:p
In fact I'm gonna make a petition. Brb with edit.

edit: here.
http://www.gopetition.com/online/18080.html
For Australia, but sign if you oppose laser bans!

Mate there's no chance laser's will get banned,
unless media exaggeration and public pressure force it.

Besides, it's too easy getting lasers through customs,
and even if they do ban the lasers, D.I.Y lasers will still be more than easy to make.

Eh it can't hurt!
Anyway I have a feeling the idiots who misuse them WILL get them banned.
Which is why we need to do something about it now.

Laser pointers above 5mw are already illegal in most countries (some above 1mw). So what exactly are they going to do?

Jase

Switch

This is completely stupid.I can see how other people don't see the need for lasers.But how can they be sure that an ordinary laserist that got his lasers taken away by some stupid law inspired by some stupid people wasn't gonna invent the next big thing?And just like everyone said, it's not gonna work.

Actually alcohol was banned a while ago.Remeber the 20th century alcohol prohibition? Yea , that worked out well ::)

Razako

You guys in au shouldn't worry too much about this. You can still sneak them in through customs just as easily by labeling them as light pens or w/e. Also there is no way they will be able to ban DIY projects and powerful red/blu-ray diodes are getting cheaper by the day.

The really sad thing about this ban is that I can see continued laser attacks on planes the day after they implement it. The solution is competent law enforcement.

Pinged

Don't worry everybody, whenever an oppressive bloated bureaucratic fascist agency blocks our rights a black market is there to help. Not only that, a laser can be made at home much easer then a gun (well its really the ammo that is the hard part).

If they outlaw guns I will build my own, outlaw lasers and I'll do the same. They can't stop the people they will only make us better at what we do. If your forced to make your own, you can make better ones then you can obtain legally.