Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers and popcorn kernels?

AnthoT

Just tried with a 2.6W 445 & it burnt it in a couple seconds... No popcorn :p

i believe this trick needs melted butter applied to the kernel. it takes a high temp to pop a kernel i believe. correct me if im wrong.

Cel

maybe use lower power and rotate the kernel (on el. motor)?

or... two high powered lasers and rotate it :D

I plan on doing this if I'm bored enough tomorrow :p

Could just use a pan....mehehe :p

I tried it with a 1.2W 445nm, burnt 12 pieces and ONE popped!!! :D I guess it would take at least 10 hours to get a decent portion of laser popcorn :rolleyes:

ENX

You would probably need to have someone else working on melting the stick of butter, just so you have everything ready at the same time :)

For rotating the kernel, you could use an audio turntable at 33 rpm... oops, did I just date myself? Music AND popcorn, what could be better?

Hey a turntable would work awesome, except... I don't have one and I don't think a CD player is quite the same thing. Though, I can steal the spindle out of one and only give it a tiny bit of power. Thanks for the idea... indirectly :D

I agree about music and popcorn. I always gotta have some munchies when I listen to music.