Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers and Mirrors?

So Im thinking about building my first laser, 532 build (it seems simpler than most DIY builds). And had kind of a cool idea, put small mirrors around the perimeter of my property, and with the beam visible I thought it might be really cool. Anyways, what do you think?

ummm define diy.... because greens arent diy... unless you think taking a laser from one host and putting it in another host is diy. diy colors are 650, 405, 445, 635 right now.

michael.

Sounds dangerous unless the beam power was 5mw or less.

And 532 can be DIY. You can buy KTP an YV04 crystals from o-like and other vendors if you were so inclined, and get an IR pump diode and roll your own.

Just because most people don't, doesn't me it's not possible.

youre both still wrong. you can buy all the crystals you want. i pretty much guarantee that you would not be able to align the crystals and the ir beam... Don't you think if it was so easy you would see it all over the forum?

michael

nuff said, says nothing... just because something is sold doesn't mean any thing... like i said before.... DON'T YOU THINK IF IT WAS AS EASY AS YOU DESCRIBE IT WOULD BE ALL OVER THE FORUM.

I have been here for two years and have only read of 1 member making a crude green beam. you are completely wrong right now.

michael

none is DIY or you will be growing your own semi-conducting materials and building your own diodes

what is the difference, to a beginner hobbyist, from a module to a diode in the aspect that you can put current through the little wires and light comes out the other end? other than one already having a lens (i think thats what he means by simpler)

Last edited:
How about you read that link instead of assuming it just goes to o-like's site? It happens to be a link to a thread here, and at the end of that one, a link to yet another thread, in which at least two people people have scratch built green DPSS. Something not being hard to do, and people wanting to do it, are two different things. Remember, this is a pointer forum. A DIY green is neither going to be small enough, or portable enough, to be of much interest to in general to pointer people. PL is where you'll find much more interest in this, and thus, more scratch built builds, than you will here.

Your reasoning that 532 is not DIY because most people use premade modules in itself is also flawed.. after all.. Name me someone who's manufactured their own 405nm laser diode? Your beloved laser diodes are 'modules' just like the 532's are 'modules', they just happen to be a little smaller.

I still stand behind my belief that it doesn't take a physics degree to get green, especially if your using premade and coated crystals like the o-like ones. The guy in the thread I linked got green with them just sitting on his desk... after all. No fancy mounts. No tec's. just crystals, a pump diode, an OC, and some spacers, all sitting on the desk not mounted to anything.

Ash

Just to get this thread back on track...
had kind of a cool idea, put small mirrors around the perimeter of my property, and with the beam visible I thought it might be really cool. Anyways, what do you think?
Sounds good. But, depending on your laser's divergence and the (total) distance for the perimeter of your property, you would need increasingly larger f/s mirrors after each reflection. I know that when I bounce a 1.5mm beam (measured at aperture) off a f/s (first surface) mirror 25-feet away, the beam is approximately 1/2" in diameter after only ~50 feet. So, the further the beam bounces, the larger the mirrors you will need.

You would probably want at least 100mW of 532nm that can be constantly-on (lab laser module), and you don't want to beam the laser anywhere near the eye-level of humans or pets, unless (of course) your pets are going to be wearing safety glasses. :cool:

qumefox;744493[COLOR=red said:
]How about you read that link instead of assuming it just goes to o-like's site?[/COLOR] It happens to be a link to a thread here, and at the end of that one, a link to yet another thread, in which at least two people people have scratch built green DPSS. Something not being hard to do, and people wanting to do it, are two different things. Remember, this is a pointer forum. A DIY green is neither going to be small enough, or portable enough, to be of much interest to in general to pointer people. PL is where you'll find much more interest in this, and thus, more scratch built builds, than you will here.

Your reasoning that 532 is not DIY because most people use premade modules in itself is also flawed.. after all.. Name me someone who's manufactured their own 405nm laser diode? Your beloved laser diodes are 'modules' just like the 532's are 'modules', they just happen to be a little smaller.

I still stand behind my belief that it doesn't take a physics degree to get green, especially if your using premade and coated crystals like the o-like ones. The guy in the thread I linked got green with them just sitting on his desk... after all. No fancy mounts. No tec's. just crystals, a pump diode, an OC, and some spacers, all sitting on the desk not mounted to anything.

you are the only one making assumptions... i've been well aware and have read that thread way before you were even a member here. This isn't a "pointer" forum. it's for all lasers.

and to the extent of the term "diy" around here means doing as much as you can to make a laser. not just switching hosts. muswisel did have some success but barely.. have you even bothered reading the whole thread? the beam quality is junk. and that is mounted in open space. do you think the diyer is gonna be able to mount it securely in a portable package? so like i keep saying "don't you think if it was so easy it would be all over the forum"

and to further stop the arguing i am going to make my comments directed specifically for this thread and the op... he doesn't even use proper terminology "So Im thinking about building my first laser, 532 build (it seems simpler than most DIY builds" so do you think he will be able to do all that is necessary?

diy is do it yourself... no "manufacture youself".. am i supposed to injection mold my own hobby box? melt the sand and limestone to make my own lens? you are completely unrealistic here man.

michael

Last edited:
Um, last time I looked, this forum was called laserPOINTERforums.com.

And 95% of the lasers i've seen discussed here are handhelds.

OT or not. Your the one who said 532 isn't DIY.

My argument is that it's just as DIY as straight diodes. You take a module, put it in a heatsink, hook it to a driver, and put it in a host. It's no different than doing it with a diode, only instead of having a diode pressed in a 12mm aixiz module, you already have a 12mm dpss module.

And while you might have a high post count, i've been dealing with lasers since 1992. So don't get all high and mighty with me. Not everyone with a low post count is here for the arctic.

Last edited:
the very first thing when you open lpf is this "Largest laser & laser pointer forums on the Internet - discuss lasers, laser pointers - freely discuss laser companies - read/write reviews of lasers"

next, "diy" greens (a pre assembled module) is a billion times easy to work with than "diy" diode type laser... a green comes complete with driver, lens, pre wired etc.

there is a lot of skill involved when dealing with diy diode lasers.

i never once called your post count into play... but since you brought it up your laser experience has nothing to do with forum rules and etiquette. your definitions do not mesh with the general attitude of the forum.

michael

You can get greens with no driver. I should know. I have a couple on the way to me now. And even then, it's not extremely difficult to remove the stock drivers so that 'real' drivers can be used.

However I will concede that most will buy the ones with the driver attached, but this sometimes can lead to even more work than using a diode, depending on the host it's trying to be installed in. There's the switch and battery fitment to deal with if the host isn't one of the pen types that the modules/drivers were designed to work in.