Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers and frosted double glazing - help

Evilc

Does anyone know whether permanent marks can be imprinted on frosted double glazed glass by a laser from a laser pointer or similar? I have some markings in the shape of x on my glass door which only show up at night against street lighting. They appear to have been hand drawn by something like a laser. Thank you.

I believe it would be limited to a CO2 laser to be marking glass.
Or something of immense power.
More than likely you are seeing residual grease pen markings or something like it. I have been spending the last couple of months working with glass installations and have regularly seen the markings that glass makers leave on the glass. Usually the main portion is removed easily with some soap and water BUT there are some markers that leave an "invisible" film behind that can be viewed in conditions like you describe.
Try a more industrial cleaning with something more than regular household glass cleaner to see if it helps.
Unless the mark is on the glass in between. Then you are out of luck.

And BTW, welcome to LPF.
Maybe a proper introduction posting is next for you ?
:whistle:

Last edited:
Hm... I don't know of any hand-held laser powerful enough to etch glass.

I don't think any handheld we have today could etch glass. Perhaps it could be a scratch? Its not hard to scratch etched glass with something harder than the glass itself. Can you possibly take a photo?

Soren

A visible or near IR laser would pass right through the glass, you would need a laser that is absorbed by the glass, such as a CO2 laser. As of today, I don't think that there are any easily portable CO2 lasers.

^There have been a few members on here who have made easily portable co2 lasers. Hemlock_Mike has a 10W RF excited co2 laser that is air cooled and runs on batteries. It could easily be moved in/out of a medium size sports bag or book bag. However I would bet anything I own that the OP is NOT victim of a laser vandal using a portable co2. Its too rare anyone builds a portable co2.

Last edited:
Think again, why would someone with the knowledge and skill of building a portable CO2 laser mark your glass door with an x? It's probably been some douche who thought your door needed this, or some freak accident scratch.

Evilc

Thank you all. I should perhaps have made it clear that the markings appear to be 'internal' i.e there are no physical marks or scratches on the surface of either pane of glass.

brendon...you are a bastard !
Now I won't ever look at the title again without hearing in my head, "Mmmmmmmm. Donuts." in a Homer Simpson voice.
Dammit !
:mad: