Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserpointer weakening after passing through glass window

It does seem like a bit of a minefield situation - so all the best with it. I would agree and say you're right that arming yourself up and "fighting back" with lasers/guns/blunt objects etc is a poor move and will escalate things.

I'd have thought that most EU countries would have fairly similar protections against credible threats - and similarly dim views on frivolous lawsuits about defamation. If the guy pointing lasers at you is threatening you with legal action whilst at the same time threatening you with violence, he's unhinged and probably incapable of the former in my opinion.

Not convinced that CCTV would be unjustified in this case. I know that the GDPR regulations affect CCTV, and you would have to be careful in how you stored and processed said footage (i.e. it may be more hassle than it's worth but it's still possible)

FunGuy

Just to just make sure: Which glass would have a recognizable impact on laser intensity?

Neutral Density glass. Not that it really exists or you could buy it for your windows. These filters are used to decrease the power of lasers in a predicable amount, so they can be used to measure higher power lasers with lower power LPMs.

You can buy a 'window tint' that will both reduce the power coming at you AND if you get the right kind it will/should reflect some of the laser back (but IMO that reflection should not be dangerous). Its easy to apply and comes off easy too.

ALSO he may be committing a crime in your country just by owning a laser with high power. He does not seem to know much about lasers AND , while I would never suggest doing anything that could be harmful...the truth is.. they are NOT as dangerous as the laser-haters would have you believe... I fear BB guns more than lasers and suspect more eyes are blinded by BB guns in ANY given single year than every such laser accident causing loss of an eye since lasers were invented, all together, in every year.. ...

I could only find one USA case where someone lost all vision in one eye and THAT was due in part to the victim intentionally trying to watch the person with the green laser AND the person with the laser was also intentionally aiming at her.

Lasers can have an accumulated effect.. if there is repeated lasing.. it can 'add' up.
This happens mostly were lasers are being used for some 'work related' reason.... and correct precautions were somewhat ignored over a period of time.
IIRC 12 people at a Russian 'rage part' got eyes injured from 'crowd scanning' with too much power.. no data on how bad the injuries were..

search 'Ranger blinded by laser at 'Burning Man' '

hope you get some peace..hak

Last edited: