Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserpointer building questions (GD300)

day

Hi,

There are two types of cheap 18650 hosts available on ebay, but i cant seem to find further infos about them.

One sells as GD300 the other as GD350. I am mostly interested in the GD300 modell due to the extra safety and the side switch.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/aBQAAOSwXeJYLURq/$_58.JPG

I am unsure which further parts fit into this host.

I would use a 5.6mm 450nm diode. A 12mm diode host. According to my research this seems to be the most likely to fit host. But ive no idea if there are any standard drivers that would fit into this host. How does the battery compartment work? Is the pole spring for the battery part of the host or does it have to be on the driver pcb?

If anyone has worked with this host before, let me know. In case it is totally terrible, are there any better alternatives?

BobMc

Your links aren't any good. :(

Have you looked st Survial Lasers?

Survival Laser International Home

or

Survival Laser USA Home
If your in the U.S. ?

You might want to put your location in your signature, at least the Country, it will make it easier for people to point you to the better places closer to where you live.

Also, you might want to make a post in the welcome section and introduce yourself. ( just a thought ) Welcome. :)

Last edited:

day

Will add my country. Problem is i don't want to risk importing a working pointer, our customs don't like them (germany). So building one seems to be the way to go, which is fine for me as i have all the necessary electronic/ esd equipment anyways. But what i can not do is mechanical work on metal parts aside from crude drilling and filing.

edit:

Also, you might want to make a post in the welcome section and introduce yourself. ( just a thought ) Welcome.

I'm around since '14 :p

Last edited:

BobMc

Will add my country.

I'm around since '14 :p

I think there are a couple other member that live in Germany. Hopefully they know some contacts.

So that means your older than me. Thank goodness someone's older than me! :crackup:

Sorry. don't noticed your join date, only your number of posts and number of reps. Oooops :tinfoil:

Last edited:

day

Well the limiting factor is the host, as there are only a few available, so i need to plan around the host:

HOST 1

HOST 2

HOST 3

I'm also trawling the sales board, but its pretty much US only. Aside from that i don't really want to spend a fortune on this either.

1.6W 450nm Diode blue (used) 18USD

Host 15USD

12mm housing 6USD > unsure if it fits into the hosts

Driver: No idea which one would potentially fit. I could design it myself to match the host, but that's going to increase the price significantly

Last edited:
You can find some fairly cheap hosts out there which will work great, if you want something a bit more to your liking, there are three or more members here who would be willing to build to order for you, just put the word here and i am sure someone will offer.

day

You can find some fairly cheap hosts out there which will work great, if you want something a bit more to your liking, there are three or more members here who would be willing to build to order for you, just put the word here and i am sure someone will offer.

My issue isn't the host, but the knowledge of 'what fits in, and what doesnt'

You can use Axiz modules to mount the diode and insert a small driver into, most of our custom hosts made by members here can fit one of those. Here's a link to DTR LPF where you can buy individual diodes, modules, drivers, lenses or plug and play laser modules ready to insert into a host. Finding a host on ebay for one of these modules is a good question, I don't know about ebay hosts, but Survival Laser sells hosts ready to fit those modules into. I've never bought a host on ebay, only from members here.

edit: Oops forgot to add the link: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diode-modules

or

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diode-modules/12mm-copper-modules

Here's a link to some drivers he offers, most of them will fit inside the small Aixiz modules which I believe are 12 mm X 20 mm external dimensions.

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/laser-drivers

Last edited:
Alaskan is right about these eBay hosts. I would stay away from them as of the three options you gave, I would choose none of the above. A quality host with a good heat sink is necessary to a successful handheld laser build. The links he gave you are some of the best around here for diodes, modules, lenses, etc. The two machinists here who build host are ElectricPlasma and Lifetime17. I would try to get my parts from these sources if I were you.

day

Problem is everything from the USA is pretty much not viable for me. Every single package that i imported from there got stuck in customs. forcing me to drive there or pay a 25EUR handling fee. I've no idea why that is. I can only assume they are told to enforce the rules harder for some countries and not others.

Every single china package no matter how expensive went right through.

USA, Japan? every single one got stuck.

Last edited:
These are not lasers, but just unrelated parts. If you order a flashlight from the US, is it held up by customs? A host is no more than flashlight parts. Modules, lenses and drivers can be used for any number of things. And if the laser diode is marked as a Light Emitting Diode which only someone who knows the difference could differentiate, would it be held up too?

day

I'm talking about everything. We have to pay 19% tax on deliveries incl. shipping > ~25EUR.

There are two ways how this can go down:

A. You drive to the customs office pay the 19%

B. You pay DHL to handle this for you 25EUR handling fee + 19%

Those two should apply to all imports from outside the EU. But for some reason China seems to be in-officially excluded. My guess is they don't want to bother with a container full of most likely <20EUR packages and simply accept that fact that some things slip through.

I'm talking about everything. We have to pay 19% tax on deliveries incl. shipping > ~25EUR.

There are two ways how this can go down:

A. You drive to the customs office pay the 19%

B. You pay DHL to handle this for you 25EUR handling fee + 19%

Those two should apply to all imports from outside the EU. But for some reason China seems to be in-officially excluded. My guess is they don't want to bother with a container full of most likely <20EUR packages and simply accept that fact that some things slip through.

Yup, same problem over here when ordering from US, except our VAT is 24% + 35€ DHL fees

Last edited:
Government out of our control when they tax us so much, me thinks. All governments eventually take too much, it seems. My idea of good government is small government, except perhaps for defence but in our country, I don't think we need to outspend all other countries several times over to provide that defence.

Day, please update us with your decision, curious what you will end up buying.