Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasering a tattoo off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how much power would i need to take a small tattoo off? just something stupid i got last year and i need it gone, its painful to look at every day...

Well...clinics use a pulsed Nd:YAG laser, sometimes frequency doubled though I wouldn't know the benefits. It feels like a large rubberband is being popped against your skin, I've heard. You could probably do it at home with a watt of 445 but I'm trusting that you and anyone reading this are smart enough to realize how terrible of an idea this is. ;)

From videos I have seen of laser tattoo removal it looks like they use a extremely powerful pulsing laser of some unknown wavelength that instantly turns a ~1mm diameter circle of skin into scar tissue.
Have fun :pop:

I can't afford to pay someone to do it, if all else fails i could carve it out a little at a time..

I use a small tattoo on my hand to "test" lasers, but only for fractions of a second.

I can't really see it working, and it's probably a very bad idea.

If it does work though, let me know! I have this tattoo on my hand that I really want gone :D

well i need it gone before tomorrow, so if i can't get it removed via laser or whatever I'm gonna use either a really sharp knife or a razor blade, dealing with a patch of skin gone is less painful than having to see this tattoo

I'd go with the knife then...because someone burned an X into his arm with a 445 and LSRFAQ said that he had to worry about possible cell mutation or something from such prolonged exposure to 445nm laser radiation. Knife or a piece of metal heated over a fire to kind of melt it off maybe...

you think an old script of Vicodin would be enough to numb the pain afterwards?

Oh man, don't do that. Laser removal takes many sessions even when it's done professionally. Tattoos can go pretty deep, I don't think a knife is the best idea.

I don't know exactly what your dealing with, but I use a bandaid for my "visible" stuff when I have to.

There are certain acids that supposedly remove tattoos over a period of time, though I always considered them gimmicks. You might google around a bit and see what you can find.

Edit: Get crazy drunk first and have someone else handle the knife if you must do it that way... Make sure stuff is sterile first I guess.

this is more than just a band aid fix, i need it off my body soon...like in the next 35 minutes soon..

Kind of one of the reasons they say not to get a tattoo unless your happy with taking it to the grave. One of the many reasons I don't have any.. I can't think of any designs that I wouldn't end up regretting at some point.. Plus i'm allergic to pain. :p

DrSid

445nm is totally not the way to do it. Trick with tattoo removal is to hit the tattoo color, and not the skin. Red is used, and near infrared. 445nm will burn just your skin. This also means red tattoos are almost impossible to remove.
I guess there are tons of other problems too. It's simply not something you can do at home.

HIMNL9

Definitely a bad idea, if not done professionally ..... you need a high power short pulsed unit (ND:YAG or also ER:YAG cavities) for do "ablation" of the skin part with the tattoo ..... and it still can left scorch, if not done in the right way, also professionally.

Also, it usually need more than one pass, with intervals so the skin can "heal" the ablation, before do the next one ..... doing it at home, you risk to end just with a very bad scorch for burning (ustion) thar follow and mark the tattoo also more deep, and that probably may need aesthetical surgery for be healed (even if possible to heal it, with skin transplants) ..... don't try it, don't even think about it at home !!

if i were you i would just save some cash to get a other tattoo to overlap the old one you want gone ( and also tell her the truth? , if im understanding this situation correctly ).
But i dont see that happen before the 14th :p
lasering it yourself is a terrible idea, but i gues you understand that from the previous posts of others :p
and like mentioned before lasering a tattoo of takes multiple sessions, it wont just dissapear in one day

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.