Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserglow Vega 593nm for $279

The pump diode is likely >1 watt even though the output is only 5mW. The newer ones now use a single 18650. Much better than C, and also a longer run time than a single CR123A.

Is $279 a good deal for this laser? In the description he stated that one of the times he powered it up only green came out. Is that indicitive of an underlying problem, or just cuz they're finicky as he suggests?

Is $279 a good deal for this laser? In the description he stated that one of the times he powered it up only green came out. Is that indicitive of an underlying problem, or just cuz they're finicky as he suggests?

That's normal for Yellow Lasers.

As Potatorage noted, this is totally normal for a 593.5nm. Most 593.5's will go green when 'cold' and hop up to 593.5 as soon as the temperature stabilizes. It's not a sign of a defect. Once they 'hop up' they usually don't fall back to green for that power-on cycle.

The Vega is really well built, and while C batteries run down faster than LiIon's, they're cheap and plentiful. I ordered a bulk pack of 50 to keep around for my Vega, Aries and Orion for something like $0.79 a piece.

The $249 it's selling for now is very good. Laserglow's 2-5 pen types are around $299, so for $50 less you can get something with much better build quality and heatsinking.

I have a Vega that does 10-15mW, and it's easily one of my favorite lasers by far, even if it isn't the most powerful.

If you are seriously thinking about a yellow, and they guy will guarantee its operation (i.e., non DOA), i'd go for it.

i would have already bought it, but i dont like that its comin in from germany, though he does have 100% positve feedback. i do want a 593.5nm, but my LPM doesnt have a setting for either yellow line so i couldnt test it anyway. oh well, i should be able to get one by GB #10

DJNY

i would have already bought it, but i dont like that its comin in from germany, though he does have 100% positve feedback. i do want a 593.5nm, but my LPM doesnt have a setting for either yellow line so i couldnt test it anyway. oh well, i should be able to get one by GB #10

Graz is in Austria, not Germany.
It is the weakest Laserglow unit, so I see no reason why it should be not up-to spec!

Dammit its so cheap!!! IDK if i can resist, hey who needs a savings account anyway....right?

IDK, i am really thinking of going for this, i think it still has 6 days from what i can decipher. If its only 2-5mW though, its most likely barley visible w/o smoke.
Ill think about it and get back to you guys.