Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserglow Hydra is actually NOT <5mw

Razako

While messing around the other day, I noticed something quite interesting about the laserglow Hydra. The front cap unscrews, and it contains what appears to be a 'black glass filter'. Once removed, the laser output appears to be well into the 30+mw range. It will actually sting your skin if held in one place for a while.

Laserglow actually has a pretty ingenious method for getting around customs restrictions. Just place a removable filter in the tip of the laser which limits the output to the allowed amount.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

How cool, you have to be excited but your sure hiding it well:)

Last edited:
Cool, I have thought that would be a way to sell higher power units as 5mw or lower output lasers which could easily be later modded to higher output too, but I bet they did not design it to get around regulations, instead because they can't get low power laser diodes for that wavelength and this was a way to bring the power down to meet regs. The thought occurs to me that they could just adjust the current down to reduce the output, but at that low of an output power, for that diode, probably problematic to do so, perhaps unstable at that low of an output, or won't do it.

Last edited:

GSS

Have you noticed a color or beam and dot spec difference?

Last edited:

Razako

Have you noticed a color or beam and dot spec difference?
No notable color or dot difference. The filter was merely to attenuate the beam to <5mw. I mostly found this interesting because it's a great way to get around customs restrictions.

Last edited:

BobMc

Curious to know if their other units have the same filter? Great find though.

While messing around the other day, I noticed something quite interesting about the laserglow Hydra. The front cap unscrews, and it contains what appears to be a 'black glass filter'. Once removed, the laser output appears to be well into the 30+mw range. It will actually sting your skin if held in one place for a while.

Laserglow actually has a pretty ingenious method for getting around customs restrictions. Just place a removable filter in the tip of the laser which limits the output to the allowed amount.
I believe that is a neutral density filter from your description.