Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserDIY.com

udanis

After watching Kip kays laser lighter video on youtube and seeing him endorse laserdiy.com in his videos I decided to order from laserdiy.com. A complete nightmare. I purchased the “Laser Lighter Kit Ver 1.0″ for $99.99 with free shipping. This kit included everything I needed to get started. The only thing i would need is some bits of wire, and a 23a battery. Sounds simple enough right? Nah it wouldn’t be! I placed the order on the 8/1. After reading LPF forum a little some people said laserdiy.com was unreliable so I send laserdiy a email about my order and it’s tracking number. I let two days past and no reply so I decide to give the phone number on their website a call. “We’re sorry but the number you dialed is disconnected or no longer in service” Cool Stuff! No reply to my emails, disconnected phone. After a little bit more digging i find out that laserdiy.com’s paypal account was suspended. Another awesome thing to find out. So i decide to do a little digging. A 19 year old by the name of William Morse owns the the site. He has a few other sites too including “build-a-blue-laser.com”. So 8/7 comes around and I got an envelope from laser diy. Wow thats a lot sooner than I expected because their site said 1-8 weeks because the site says that they have to acquire all of the parts before they will ship. So they will ship all the items in a single order rather than shipping two items at different times. I open the package, a bit light I might add. I open the package only to see a brass heatsink. Cool for $99.99 I received a piece of brass. I placed a stop on the payment and sent William an email with regards to the heat sink.

Under no circumstances would I ever do business with laserdiy.com again.

All that I got: Picture

Figured there was no reason to start another thread for this so I'm just going to comment on this one:

I just had the same thing happen to me.
Did an impulse buy for the laser lighter kit off laserdiy.com a bit over a month ago.
Finally got a package in the mail the other day and only had a brass module and a driver that looks like it was pulled out of one of those cheap ebay pointers (with the momentary switch on the driver). I was sooooo mad !!! Sent a really nasty email two days ago and still hadn't gotten a reply.
So, I looked at my bank account (paid with credit/debit) and his phone number was on there. I just called, and of course, got no answer. Got a sprint voicemail box with the greeting of a kid saying "Laser DIY".

Guess I'll have to run to the bank tomorrow and see if there's anything I can do....

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that You guys got scammed. Hard to believe all the fraud that goes on these days.:thinking:

Yeah. I'm usually the type to do lots of research on something before I buy online, but didn't on this one.
Though it was a horrible mistake, I can say that this has been the first time I've been screwed in my many years of online purchases. Live and learn I guess?

BTW... I love that avatar Prototype! First time I saw that, I laughed for a couple minutes straight.

mykeeX

Wow... I've seen the KipKay video couple years ago and like everyone else wanted the Cheapy Lighter Laser Burner too, but i was too stubborn to buy one for the price and figured i could find the parts myself.. lol

Well not knowing what a driver, diode, module, or any of the parts were i almost gave in to buy the kit at LaserDIY, but still just too stubborn reason being the Cheapy Lighter Laser Burner video shows KipKay lighting the cigarette well in my opinion it didn't light the cigarette like a normal lighter would. For all i know the guy in the video could have spent 10 mins huffing and puffing just to light his cigarette. So i figured as cool as it was i would want to build a laser lighter that did a better job.

After seeing some of the laser burners on other forums it was possible to build a laser lighter that was better and would light a cigarette a lot faster.

After seeing jayrob94561 and his Key Chain 10280 Kit i knew this is what i wanted..

Well still not knowing what the parts were doing some googling watching videos on YouTube and a lot of forum reading i finally got the basics down, even bought a few cheep laser pointers on ebay just to rip apart although i still haven't gotten down how to tweak a potentiometer. Good thing those were cheep lasers i bought.

Well I still consider myself being a newbie to the whole laser DIY world once again i was tempted to buy that damn LaserDIY kit, and i swear if it wasn't for me being so stubborn and accidentally finding these posts i was one click away to purchasing the DIY laser Kit.

All I can say is sorry for those who got screwed over, and thanks for warning others like myself.

So now i'm back to square 1.

Just a quick note, i'm NOT really stubborn just that i have always been the type of person that loves to take things apart and put them back together just to see what makes them tic. I've spent 12 years as a Honda/Toyota factory trained technician, and another 13 years fixing, building, networking, diagnosing PC.

All in all i love being a DIY type of person. Which is why i couldn't see myself giving into buying the LaserDIY laser lighter kit.

Well Thanks again guess i can say you guys saved me from throwing $100.00 bucks to some scam artist.

So like i said back to square 1, and i got some more reading and learning to do on building a laser burner.

Any helping tips would be great.

Thanks...

mykeeX :D