Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserBees and Third-Party Software

The legal disclaimer Jerry posted will only void the warranty if third party firmware is used, it doesn't say anything about third party software, so Jake is fine to use Pergerine :) (for the moment)

You actually read and understood the Disclaimer unlike
most of the posters on this Thread...:gj:

well, i haven't used it yet...

so what can i use if laserbee doesn't work on mac...
no i see why this thread was made..wtf

PM sent....

Jerry

The legal disclaimer Jerry posted will only void the warranty if third party firmware is used, it doesn't say anything about third party software, so Jake is fine to use Pergerine :) (for the moment)

Thank you for making this point perfectly clear to everyone. It's dammed confusing when 2 or more people get into it and then it becomes next to impossible
to figure out how it all started in the first place.:thinking:
The issue wasn't with software as much as it was for re-writing the Laserbee pic firmware to make it transmit it's data differently.
That I can see Jerry taking issue with.

Bottom line is that we should help each other, this way we can share
ideas and make our own products better. Jerry can teach us much about PICs, physical layout, tidy internal wiring for making decent LPMs and hiring commercial "programmers",
just as ARGLaser and Trevor can teach us about using an Arduino and Java script for Open platforms on MacOSX, Windows and Linux.
I'm sure Jerry is taking note of recent developments! We can all learn from one another. Nothing wrong with that. :beer::thanks:

Oh... we can also learn from Bluefan as well about how extreme attention to detail yields excellence. The Bluefan lpm has got some insanely great reviews from people. Simple and effective!

Last edited:

Trevor

Jerry

You were talking about how using Peregrine could damage LaserBees over in that thread. That's the whole reason this thread was created. Quoted here:

J.BAUER Electronics does NOT Endorse any 3rd party
Software/Firmware that is not tested and/or verified by
us to not cause any damage in any way or form to any
LaserBee™ LPM Product ever sold or which will be sold in
the future.
Only Software that is bundled with any LaserBee™ product
is authorized and officially endorsed by J.BAUER Electronics
to be used with any LaserBee™ Product.

The language there is pretty clear - software should be tested by you before being used by your customers, because it could cause damage. That's why I created this thread to prove that damage is not physically possible.

You're saying you're no longer forbidding your customers from using it?

Great news! :D

Trevor

Last edited:

ARG

Most people (myself included) skim legal agreements and firmware can easily be mistake for software, it would have helped if the firmware legal notice wasn't posted in a software thread.

Hopefully we can get this all cleared up. Perhaps could you give a legal notice about third party software? There's still some confusion among everyone, about third party software and the LaserBee's, especially about it causing damage.

Trevor

Has Jerry confirmed that it's fine to use third-party datalogging software with LaserBees yet?

There's obviously been confirmations via PM... has there been anything public? :thinking:

Trevor

Trevor

I don't think he ever followed through with any threats to void warranty... besides, he isn't even around these days to get after you.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Trevor

ru124t

Funny thing about that. I don't have a copy of the laserbee software , user manual or the cord to connect it to a computer. I emailed laserbee and they told me that my 3.2w laserbee 2 was blacklisted because the previous owner used custom firmware. But for the low price of shipping to and from them , plus 100.00 + tax , they would put it back the right way for me. There was never any firmware mods done to this laserbee, all I needed was the software and the cord so no thanks laserbee. Also, he told me this was a one time only offer, if I did not take him up on it asap, he would not do it again. My warranty was indeed voided although I was not looking for warranty service.

Reactions: ped

Trevor

The LaserBee II you're referencing never actually had any altered firmware; if it had, I would have sold it with better firmware like I did the LaserBee I that I sold around the same time.

Jerry just assumed it did because I'd owned it. You know what they say about assuming... ;)

Trevor

ARG

Funny thing about that. I don't have a copy of the laserbee software , user manual or the cord to connect it to a computer. I emailed laserbee and they told me that my 3.2w laserbee 2 was blacklisted because the previous owner used custom firmware. But for the low price of shipping to and from them , plus 100.00 + tax , they would put it back the right way for me. There was never any firmware mods done to this laserbee, all I needed was the software and the cord so no thanks laserbee. Also, he told me this was a one time only offer, if I did not take him up on it asap, he would not do it again. My warranty was indeed voided although I was not looking for warranty service.

If you still need the cable let me know. They can be found for $3 on ebay. For the software you can use Peregrine.

I personaly have bought me an Ophir Nova with a L30c-A-10mm head from ebay...way better than a Laserbee ;)
I was just curious if Jerry would reply :D