Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserBee Meter + PC interface. Help Needed

JLSE

This is why I suggested my el-cheapo's :D Plus if kept to modules any loss wont really matter. I have yet to lose any packages through the boarder. Only delays have been experianced, and labeling the package just right helps a lot. Im thinking on sending 4 modules, 1-808nm 2-658nm 3-532m and of course 4-405nm. This should give nice rounded results. It will take me a couple of days to prepare, as I dont have any of these ready yet. Let me know if this sounds good, I would rather risk my money on this anyway. :-/

JLSE

AAAHAAA! USB LaserBee is here!

After my initial disapointment of my laptop not having a serial port, I began to wonder if there was a way to USB this rig. I had a couple of ideas, and also emailed Jerry of J.BAUER Electronics. Well a quick as usual response was recieved this morning with the good news. Turns out by simply attaching a USB to RS232 adapter to his laptop,  worked just fine! So of course after reading this, I boogied to my local Canada Computers and picked one up for $15. Needless to say I now have a working LaserBee on my laptop!

You have to first install the LaserBee software / meter appz, then install the USB software that comes with the USB to RS 232 cable. When finished the instal, hook up the meter via  ;DU-S-B ;D and open the meter program. Go to CONFIG. and under communication select (in my case) PORT- COM 3, thats it.
The port you have to select is dependant on which USB plug you use. If you plug it into a different USB port you will have to sellect a different port under communication. The CONFIG. option allows up to 8 different ports to select from. I did this by trial and error until I hit the one that worked. You will know if its not the right one by an error that appears when you click run.  Jerry also mentioned that you can see which port its plugged into, IIRC, by browsing your device manager, or PC properties.

My recomendation for this unit continues to increase, and are currently availible. To also note, Ihave only tested this unit with WinXp Pro, and I believe Jerry is running his in the shop on a Win 2000 machine.

Here- http://www.bauer-electron.com/eby/eby1wlpm.htm (where I picked up mine)

here-http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160253688806 (Current ebay listing)

Remember, the data logging kit is a little extra, the one on ebay doesnt include this option unless requested. Your best bet is to contact him through the website and go from there.

Kenom

he calibrates it with a resistor. Heats it up and that's how he calibrates it.

JLSE

Kenom said:
he calibrates it with a resistor.  Heats it up and that's how he calibrates it.

Im not the type to quote emails, but there is a first time for everything :p

"So six months ago we purchased a Newport model 1825-C with a Newport  818T-10 Thermopile"

"We calibrate the LaserBee I with the Newport LPM and it tracks the newport pretty well.  We test with the only laser we have that goes over 1000mW (an 808nm) "

It seems they may have changed their practices for calibrating if that were the case. So far I have been playing with this for a couple of days, and I must say I regret my LaserCheck purchase every minute I spend in front of my laptop / LPM ;)

wannaburn said:
So far I have been playing with this for a couple of days, and I must say I regret my LaserCheck purchase every minute I spend in front of my laptop / LPM ;)
Sounds like a good deal ($180 on Ebay)...
How well does it read lower powered lasers? (like 5mW)

JLSE

It wont go below 5mW, and my old leadlight was the 7mW modded version. Its still comes up as 6-7mW on the laserbee, and 6.68mW on my lasercheck. But it certainly picks up the 5mW as advertised.

JLSE

Thats too bad, what option would you go with from here?

Well, I'm not really looking for a LPM now..
Having a LPM at this time isn't very important for me currently, (although I would like a cheap one) but of course I will look into it for when I get more expensive lasers. Right now I like looking at the pretty colors my lasers make rather than the output.

JLSE

I would recomend it to you if it were for use on measuring your builds, or verifying the output of expensive units. Now if we are talking higher power builds its a different story. With my lasercheck, I would have to hold the meter, press the button at the same time as trying to take a picture of the display. Not to mention the chance of reflection from the sensor hitting someone behind you.
This unit appears to be designed with the power hungry enthusiest in mind, and has all the extras one could only dream of (on a budget). I was actually quite surprised to see that it would give a reading at 5mW, as I never thought that 5mW could generate any heat :eek:

wannaburn said:
I was actually quite surprised to see that it would give a reading at 5mW, as I never thought that 5mW could generate any heat :eek:

My WL core 5mW shows up as 5mW on my meter, that's pretty good I think. I wouldn't of thought it would of read anything.

I have two cheapo reds and one of them actually shows up as 6mW on the meter. Which considering the core works on the meter, is actually quite impressive. Both the fact that the meter displayed the 6mW and the fact that this cheapo red was outputting 6mW :)

JLSE

Murudai said:
[quote author=wannaburn link=1214528356/24#25 date=1214708643] I was actually quite surprised to see that it would give a reading at 5mW, as I never thought that 5mW could generate any heat :eek:

My WL core 5mW shows up as 5mW on my meter, that's pretty good I think. I wouldn't of thought it would of read anything.

I have two cheapo reds and one of them actually shows up as 6mW on the meter. Which considering the core works on the meter, is actually quite impressive. Both the fact that the meter displayed the 6mW and the fact that this cheapo red was outputting 6mW :)
[/quote]

Ive never used another thermal meter, but do any exist which are able to detect under 5mw or even down to 1mw?

daguin

wannaburn said:
Ive never used another thermal meter, but do any exist which are able to detect under 5mw or even down to 1mw?

Yes, and even less

Peace,
dave

JLSE

An interesting thing, I was curious about the heat that a 5mW laser gives off. So I placed my finger an inch away from the little tec thermopile and slowly moved in, until I got 5mW. Turns out that my thumb radiates the eqivilent to 5mW @ 1/4 inch away. :D Brethe warm air on it and you get 100mW.
Stupid I know, but man thats sensative.

JLSE

Figured if im going to put this in a host, I should start by separating the LCD display from the rest of the board. Making it easyer to work with, here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• P1150126.jpg
    P1150126.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 106