Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser303

Please, how do I figure out the power of my diode? And, atm Im running mine at 6volt. It seems fine. Any ideas how much voltage Icould use without destroying my device? Cheers people..

Please, how do I figure out the power of my diode? And, atm Im running mine at 6volt. It seems fine. Any ideas how much voltage Icould use without destroying my device? Cheers people..

This is posted in the wrong area and should have been posted under Green lasers.

You can't figure out the power, you can only test it with an LPM (laser power meter). A Laser 303 runs on one 3.7V Li-Ion battery, these batteries charge to 4.2V, more than that will likely kill your laser.

Alan

Yeah what do you mean by 6v, what are you usinG to power it? You need an lpm to figure out power... also its not worth it to lpm it since itll only be about 100mw

Pman

Wrong section, everything is worth measuring and my guess is it either didn't come with an 18650 or you don't have a way to charge it and you are using 2 CR123A cells because 1 wasn't long enough and that's what you had or could find. Higher voltage doesn't always increase output AND that unit was not meant to run at 6V which is actually more like 6.4-6.6 if they are new. 532nm is nasty bright and I would guess you don't realize what you are dealing with and the safety involved. You need to educate yourself on laser safety before using it or you could easily hurt yourself, others and this is NOT safe for animals.
May sound like I'm being hard on you but it's for your own good. It's not personal, it's about being responsible. Noone WA ts to see you or anyone else get hurt;)

APEX1

This is posted in the wrong area and should have been posted under Green lasers.

You can't figure out the power, you can only test it with an LPM (laser power meter). A Laser 303 runs on one 3.7V Li-Ion battery, these batteries charge to 4.2V, more than that will likely kill your laser.

Alan

Noone ever warns you about that. Meaning the stores on ebay and what not that sell the cheapo lasers. That is very important...

Last edited:
Pman brought up good points. High power greens are everywhere and it's too easy to not know what you're doing with something not-so-safe.

As for diode power, 532nm lasers actually use an infrared laser diode at 808nm which is mostly invisible light. It's converted through crystals to visible 532. Many 532 lasers (certainly the 303) won't have an IR filter so use caution. Even when it seems "dead" and no green light is produced, you can still be shooting out IR. Some people can see the IR as a very faint deep red. DON'T look into the aperture. You can look at it from the side and sometimes see it. Or point a camera at the laser and look at the cam's screen.

The diode itself can be running several hundreds of mW, and only a fraction 50-100mW gets converted to 532. Along with maybe 10-30mW of IR (these are ballpark estimates). Just always be careful with 532 lasers even when they seem dead. Also as the battery drains and the green output decreases, you can still be getting a lot of IR.

You would need an LPM to find out the real power output of the light itself. Keep in mind this reading would include the IR. You could put an IR filter between the laser & sensor and get the power of only the 532. :)

All the common Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries are the same voltage. Listed as 3.7 but will be about 4.2 at full charge, decreasing to about 2.75V when "dead". This applies to all the common sizes (18650, 18350, 16340, 10440, etc). The difference is capacity. An 18650 holds a lot more than a 16340 for instance. But it also depends on the current draw. I have a low power 650nm which uses a 16340 and I almost never need to charge it. I have a 300mW 532 which draws 1500mA which burns through a 16340 in 20 minutes.

Try to avoid cheap unprotected Li-ion cells. Also avoid cheap chargers. You can get a Nitecore i2 on Amazon for about $14. Worth every penny.

Your Laser 303 is a decent laser but don't be surprised if it fails. It's just the way cheap greens can be. They are mass produced to an enormous level.

Enjoy! :beer: